Thyroid Disorders Community
When is the right time to take levothyroxine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I started on levothyroxine 50mcg two days ago. I can see that there is a lot of different advice about when the best time to take it is. I'm treated in the uk under my gp and wasn't given any advice, the packets label says in the morning.

I have porridge made with milk and coffee every morning for breakfast before I go to work. Will this affect the absorption of my meds? I've seen some people take it at night but I tend to eat quite late in the evening.

Any thoughts would be useful for this new starter! Thanks
The rule of thumb is to take levo on an empty stomach (no food or drink for 3-4 hours prior) with a full glass of water and then refrain from any other food or drink for 0.5-1 hour after.  That's why most people take it fist thing in the morning and delay breakfast a little.  Coffee affects absorption as well, but not as much as some foods do, especially fiber.  Any other meds or supplements should be taken 3-4 hours away from levo (if at all possible).  As with different food, however, some meds affect absorption more than others, so check out interactions.
Easiest for me upon waking, wait one hr, breakfast.  Thought of going to night dosing, but my eating habits change daily, sometimes I like late night snacks, such as popcorn, while watching a movie.  
Thank you, my night time eating habits are similar in that I like a 'supper' sometimes. Currently I have my breakfast around half an hour after I get up, so maybe I need to make it an hour.
If you can take your med, immediately, when you get up, you'd be okay to eat breakfast within  30-45 minutes.... I used to have to do this when I was working, otherwise I'd have had to get up an hour earlier than my normal 3:30 am - wasn't willing to do that......   I hopped out of bed, took my levo, then went to the kitchen to turn on the coffee pot, feed the dogs and put them outside, then go get into the shower...... by the time all of that was done, at least 30-40 minutes had gone by, coffee was done, the dogs were ready to come back in...... I'd take my coffee to the bathroom to sip while I dried my hair and got ready for work.  By the time I was ready for work, an hour had gone by, so I'd eat my breakfast.... which consisted of whatever I felt like eating that day....  fiber does inhibit absorption of thyroid med, but you have to eat what you have to eat....

Maybe your dose of T4 med will have to be increased to account for what might be lost in your morning routine.