Thyroid Disorders Community
White tongue and swollen tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

White tongue and swollen tongue

Can someone please put me in touch with a link in regards to the white tongue and swollen tongue in relation to thyroid disease?  I did a search on here, but the link I keep coming up with is broken.  I want to be armed when I go in to show the endo.  Also, does anyone know what else it could be other than thrush?
Yeah I got that when I was on low meds. Get your tsh checked. And see your endo.!
My tongue is swollen despite a TSH at the lowest of 1.4. (It is back to 5.1 now).

See my picture on my profile. Is yours like that?

Thrush would be like a curdy, chunky white growth. Have you had a fungal culture or wet prep (under a microscope) done on your tongue? (I am a microbiologist and like this gross stuff, lol)

What is your TSH?
Kitty, my tongue definitely gets the ridges on the sides like yours.  It is most annoying because I am on the phone all day and keep biting it!

This is the 3rd episode of what I call thrush since the end of may.  I went to the GP the second time and she said she "didn't think" it was thrush, but didn't do a culture either.  This time it definitely is thrush.  Very curdy and when I scraped it there was red and it was burning underneath.  I called the endo right away to get my TSH checked.  Should have the results soon (if she would ever answer her phone!).  

May TSH was withing normal range (although symptoms still presented) 2.76
Are you treating the thrush?

The TSH of 2.76 is a little too high. Are you currently on meds?
I am treating it with probiotics, acidophilus and nystatin.  It is getting much better than it looked two days ago.

No meds for thyroid as they believe it is post partum thyroiditis.  The endo makes me laugh as she said I should be feeling no symptoms with TSH of 2.76 and now I am about to lose my job.  She is the only endo in town my insurance covers.  I curse HMO!
I don't have an HMO, but self pay individual insurance. I still curse the medical system and many doctors!

Glad you are feeling a bit better regarding the tongue, at least.