Thyroid Disorders Community
Who are you with THYROID???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Viewing 201-292 comments:
I came across this board in a desperate search for information on Hashimoto's.  I received my hypothyroid diagnosis back in early 2006 (depsite having symptoms since high school but my doctor was convinced I was another lazy teenager).  I constantly kept going back to the dr. complaining of symptoms that should have gone away after starting the hormone replacement.  After going to a few different doctors,  Last year around February I insisted something was wrong with me because I was back to sleeping any time I was home and didn't have important things to take care of.  I found out I had mono on top of my hypothyroidism.  I haven't been the same since.

I demanded a referral to an endocrinologist in summer 2009 because I was tired of being treated as if I was crazy!  The endocrinologist did her initial tests and Yes, I am borderline hypo and bla bla bla. She listenend to me go on and on about my symptoms and she finally bent and said she'd test my antibodies as well as celiac since my vitamin D is so low.  I was negative for the blood celaic test...but my TPO was at 274.  SO she was finally convinced that I needed help. So her way to help was to double my hormone pill and give me more vitamin D and that's all the help Ive received from her.

I went back today complaining still to my primary care doctor, he"s convinced I may have developed chronic fatigue syndrome from the mono and year of hashimoto's from when it was undiagnosed or something.  I got a referral to  a rheumatologist.  

I'm so frustrated that I can't find someone to just do the tests I'm asking for (I ordered the book from thyroidbook.com from hearing many recommendations and it's a great book!) so I can treat myself!  Ive learned so much from people in this community already and it truly is a blessing I found this forum!!!
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid.  I don't know my levels yet.  My mom has hypothyroid as well.  I get tested every year, but they never found anything, and within the past year, I've gained over 20 pounds.  I'm very active and I work out, but I'm always tired and my body gets sore easily.  I would love to find a forum that can be both motivating and supportive because I want to feel like I can have a healthy, normal life, and not like this is going to take over my life.  I'm tearing up because I'm scared.  I don't know how this is going to affect me.  I take my first pill tomorrow.  Will this make all my symptoms magically go away?  I just want to feel normal.  Thank for reading.
- K
I found MH last night after my symptems came back after 2 months of being "better". I don't think i will ever be back to where i was before dx. the only thing i know is that my tsh was 17 the Dr never looked into why but I was given pills and for a few months seemed to help and then i crashed. I was looking for info for hypo and found this site. It has been good to have found ppl who know how i feel
This is great to have for reference on you all. I appreciate all the posters coming by and taking the time to enter their stories.

Remember the basic plot to this thread is to keep it an excellent resource for us is -  

1. briefly tell how you came to MedHelp.

2. Your thyroid issue history and/or treatments and how you feel. (Journals work great on your profiles too with this.)

3. Your feeling if improvement on the board could be more helpful and what your thoughts or solutions may be.

4. Successes!!!!! - Success stories always motoviate health and give positive support - Please share those freely with me - and all the members.

remember one no-no on this board post.

Try to eliminate yourself from asking for reply posts on your personal medical questions. If you would like community support on specific questions - openly post on the board with your own questions under your own thread. Don't be shy - POST AWAY. There is NO judging here allowed and you can say what you need to as long as MedHelp TOS (Terms of Service) guidelines are respected.

ABSOLUTELY NO SPAM OR WEBSITE PROMOTION WILL BE TOLERATED AND WILL BE REMOVED FROM THIS OR ANY OTHER BOARD POSTS.  Please be respectful and do not spam our boards. -

Thank you.

Stella5349

I have been suffering from HYPOTHYROID for the last one and half years and been suffering from symptoms like CALF MUSCLE PULLING(severe) , HAIR FALL, FATIGUE and FORGETFULLNESS.

When i was surfing the net for more information(doctors are not ready to impart and are insensitive). I came across MH and joined the community....

I am from city called HYDERABAD in INDIA where there is dearth of awareness on HYPOTHYROIDISM.

I am struggling to get to the right DOCTOR...after consulting FOUR doctors....

Hope i will be well informed about the disease through this communtity.

Thank You,
Vijay.K
As I've gotten older I've been trying to treat my body with more respect. Four years ago I quit smoking, I try to get plenty of exercise, I eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less processed foods and I try to stay well hydrated. But over the last couple of years I've felt worse than when I was smoking, eating crap and generally not taking care of myself.

It was just this past November that I got a clue that my fatigue, muscle aches, weight gain, lack of interest in sex, etc could be thyroid related. I went to a local family practitioner because I had developed a ping pong ball sized lump in the right side of my neck after taking a kelp supplement for a few weeks.

He did a brief exam, ordered a thyroid level blood test and an ultrasound. The blood test came back "normal", the bill was over $280.00 for the office visit and lab work. I canceled the ultrasound, because without insurance I felt I couldn't afford a bunch of tests that didn't show anything was wrong even though I knew there was something very wrong.

My next medical visit was to the nearest VA hospital emergency room in April. The size of the lump seemed to have remained the same but I was experiencing quite a bit of pain in my neck going down to my shoulder. I also felt that my blood pressure was elevated because when I laid down I'd hear a pounding in my ear, frankly I thought I was close to having a stroke. I was at that time also experiencing a lot of stress over a dear friend's death.

The ER doctor, ordered a ton of blood tests including the thyroid level blood test and a screening ultrasound. In addition he wrote orders for a fine needle aspiration to be preformed by the pathologist. He said he thought that I had Hashimoto's.

All the blood work came back "normal" with the exception of my Vitamin D level which was I believe half of what is currently considered "normal". The initial ultrasound revealed several small nodules on the left as well as the one large nodule on the right. The FNA biopsy on the right side nodule was inconclusive, because the sample was too small to tell definitively if it was a follicular neoplasm or a follicular cancer.

I've been taking a Vitamin D supplement sent out by my primary care doctor and a multivitamin with Vit D  from the local health-food store for about a month, plus getting lots of sun and the morning muscle aches and stiffness have subsided considerably.
I still experience extreme tiredness on some days and normal to high energy levels on others, like I'm swinging between hypo and hyper.

In just over a week I'm scheduled for a total thyroidectomy. At the surgery consult I told them that I understood that I'll need replacement thyroid hormone for the rest of my life but that worries me less than having to have another surgery should the pathology indicate cancer or should there be subsequent changes in the left side.

I'll try to keep you all informed on how everything goes ~ the surgery, the recovery and dealing with the thyroid replacement process.

Thanks for letting me share and y'all take care,
Mary

Im 24yrs old, and have only been officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's since February of 2010.
I noticed a lump in my throat December 2009, and then it all clicked! The tiredness, lack of energy, weight gain, cramps in my thighs, hair falling out, heart palpitations, mood swings - were all related to my thyroid. Ealier in 2009 was when I had the heart palpitations and hair falling out, I also was maintaining a weight much lower than usual for me, but as 2009 went on that changed and that's when the weight gain and sluggishness began. My blood test results were in normal range except I have the thyroid antibodies, and an ultrasound revealed a multi-nodular goitre.
My mother and several aunties and uncles have all had thyroid problems. My mother had a total thyroidectomy in 2008.
I have been lucky, as due to my mothers experience (which I have found my experience to be almost identical to hers) we have known what path to take a lot sooner - so I was able to see an endo in February, and I had already booked to see the surgeon for March 2010 - after much deliberation and information searching, and advice from the surgeon, I am going to also have a total thyroidectomy in August of this year. I am scared but grateful that there is a treatment for this, and I am hoping that my life will return to some optimal level once my thyroid levels are stable again and I don't have this goitre anymore!

Anyway this thyroid community has been really good for me, I know I am not alone, and I am positive that eventually I will feel like myself again!

Catherine :-)
DD had thyroidectomy in 05 - dxd w/hashimoto, celiac and pcos.  NOT FUN.  Me?  FNA of 1.8 cm nodule on right lobe is inconclusive *what?  really???  

Daughter needs good doctor.  Me?  I would LOVE to find surgeon/doctor to care for me, too.  

Good doctors have left our area.  So we will suffer until God hears my prayers or...

Good luck and good health to all.  I know what you are going thru and you are in my prayers.  
Has there been any changes in the use of TSH?  Anything I can show my doctor that he can see from a reputable source.  He still thinks it is the "gold standard" and uses the old ratio for test.  My T4 was .05 and my TSH was .034 and he thinks my T4 is still in the range but he believes it is probably too high because my TSH is telling him otherwise.  Before he used the TSH he kept my T4 around 10.5 and I felt wonderful.  He won't even talk to me about that now because of the TSH.  I can't find a doctor that does not use TSH but I do feel it should be thrown out especially for me.  Since he let my T4 drop I have gained a lot of weight and sleep a lot and have severe joint and muscel pain.  I am on a 1200 calorie diet and have been for 3 years now and still am gaining weight.
Hi! I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism (parathyroid tumor) that was corrected surgically after getting the "blow off" from my Dr for 4 years. (7 kidney stones, hypercalcemia with all of its symptoms, etc.) That surgery lead to a diagnosis of hepatitis C (probably not related to the tumor) which I went through a chemotherapy-like treatment (interferon, ribavirin) for 6 months. The interferon jacks up your immune system which caused my body to attack my thyroid -resulting in thyroiditis. I had two thyroid storms and it finally "flipped" to hypothyroid for several months. It's been two years since I've finished the treatment and my thyroid is back to normal. I'm happy to say my calcium levels, female hormone levels, thryoid/parathyroid levels, and liver enzymes (hep C is gone!)  are all back to normal! -There is hope!!! ~MM

My story is not yet a long-term success story, but it is about finally getting the right diagnosis/treatment and beginning to feel better!

11 years ago I underwent surgery, chemotherapy & radiation therapy for breast cancer.  Ever since that time my health has slowly deteriorated until it got to the point I could barely move, due to severe muscle pain and cramping, along with a long list of other symptoms.

Over the 11 years, we had many changes in our insurance and had to keep changing doctors.  Each new doctor made sure I had annual mammograms, pap smears etc., but no one ever ran a TSH.  

About 2 months ago, I had my first appointment with a new PCP, who ordered a bunch of tests, including a TSH.  The report was sent to the PCP in early June.  My next appointment with the PCP was not until the end of July.  I had a business trip scheduled for July 14th and was in so much pain that I called to see if I could get in to  see my PCP to get something for the pain. The scheduler said they would call me back after checking with the doctor. About 15 minutes later, the doctor’s office called and said they wanted to see me immediately and added that some of my tests were “abnormal”.  30 minutes later I was in their office looking at a report that showed that my TSH was 94 and my cholesterol was 546.  

My PCP was on vacation, but the covering doctor was visibly upset over the test results and apologized that they had not called me in earlier.  She also asked if it was OK for her to share my report with her medical students, because she had never seen numbers this high. She sent me over for an ultrasound, which was negative for cancer.  She immediately started me on 75mg of Levothyroxine and suggested I see an endocrinologist for a "2nd opinion" to completely rule out thyroid cancer.  Last week I saw an endocrinologist who ran another ultrasound, which was negative for cancer.  He diagnosed me with Hashimoto's and upped my dosage of Levothyroxine to 150mg.

After researching Hashimoto's, I was literally dancing around the room because every symptom I have been suffering with all this time was on that list!  The worst symptom of all was the fear I was losing my mind, which used to be so sharp and clear.  The numbness and tingling in my hands, legs and feet have been with me since chemotherapy.  The severe muscle cramping was a mystery to my doctors.   Every time I mentioned it they just kind of shrugged as to what might be causing it. One doctor sent me to a neurologist for nerve conduction tests.  The neurologist told me I had neuropathy and gave me Neurontin for the pain.  The memory problems, weight gain, dry brittle nails/hair, dry skin, puffy face and concentration problems were written off to either chemotherapy or normal aging.  The hoarse voice was attributed to a sinus infection for which I've had three Z-paks and several other antibiotics - none of which worked.

Since starting the Levothyroxine,  I am beginning to notice small improvements almost every day.  The endocrinologist I saw last week said that it will probably take 4-6 months before I feel really "good" again. However, I have to say, it was just a RELIEF to learn that all the symptoms were related and that there is a TREATMENT!  For all these years I thought I was just getting old and remembered my Grandmother (and many other elderly)  saying things like  "old age is not for sissies", so I thought I just needed to suck-it-up and keep going.

This forum is such a wonderful place and is filled with supportive and knowledgeable people, who give so much of their time to helping others!  I am really looking forward to not only sharing my story, but also to learning from other members who have been battling thyroid disorders, or who have been where I am today.

Cindy
Welcome Cindy! I am so glad to hear you are getting good treatment adn on your way to recovery. Please take some time searching through our health pages here in the thyroid community and search out any questions you may have.
Please feel welcome to always post your questions and fears, as you are not a lone here!
I myself am a Hashimotos survivor! lol.......yes a survivor because it is such a hard difficult rollercoaster ride!  :)
I'm one of the rare male hypothyroid patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Just this year, I was finally tested for vitamin deficiencies and my D was also deficient @"17" ng/mL (range 30 to 100). My B12 was lower-normal, so I'm treated for both it and the D with replacement mega-dose vits.

I went to a neuro specialist due to longterm muscle weakness and easy fatiguability - that I was convinced since 2004, was CFS, comorbid to my thyroid disease. He had the forethought to also check my vitamin E, since my D was deficient and B12 was insufficient and "Presto!" it was deficient too @ "0.4" (range 3.0 t0 15.8) - in fact, at less than half a point was likely my worst deficiency.

I've been active as a patient advocate since diagnosis and my 'sometimes' difficulty with some doctors - such as my current overtreatment (my blood work showed my T3 to be more than double highest normal range). ---Little things like that (LOL).

Anyway, I mainly try to dispell the imbalanced opinion (kindly, diplomatically and politely) that suggests that thyroid hormone replacement is perfect in all cases and fixes all the problems thyroid patients have within weeks of being adminstered. Don't get me wrong - I thank God for thyroid hormone therapy and for doctors but without patient proactiveness in their treatments, things can most certainly go wrong, regardless of a doctor's expertise or a thyroid hormone brand's effectiveness.

So---- My message since 2003 to other patients is to become self-educated, best possible, via good, reliable sources and to be proactive in treatment and to partner with their doctors if at all possible!

Bessings to my fellow-patients
Hi Laura!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and also for the suggestion to search through the health pages - they are very helpful for basic information. The most compelling information is that being shared among all the thyroid patients who visit this forum!  People like you, who reach out to newly diagnosed people like me is wonderful!

Other helpful tools I've found are:   MedHelp's autoimmune tracker (for Hashimoto's) and the blood pressure tracker, because my doctors want me to keep track of my BP for at least a month.

Thank you again for reaching out and making me feel welcome!

Cindy

Hi I'm Kristin and I was diagnosed with hyposthyroidism in December of 2007. In High School I began gaining weight really fast, abnormally fast even though I was eating right and excersing. I gained over 100 pounds in a year. Nothing seemed to work. Finally my doctor tested my thyroid and they told me where my levels were at that my thyroid was dead. My regular doctor began prescribing medicine but he wasn't an endocrinologist so he did the best he could. I didn't get in to see my current endocrinologist until 2009. I currently take levothyroxine at 125 mg. I also had an ultrasound done to make sure I didn't have cancer and thankfully I don't but I did find out my thryoid is not only dead but it has shriviled up, she could barely see it. But I have lost almost 50 pounds and hope to lose the rest this year! I hope everyone finds what their looking for here...
Welcome. I am glad you are on your way to better health. Just be patient and hang in there. Be happy to know you are completely through the destruction phase! Yeah!
Now your body has only to continue to heal itself!  :)
Hi everyone just joined today. Well my story has just begsn to unfold. I was diagnosed hypo. in January of this year......my tsh was 5.14. After switching primary Doc a few time wound up on 100mcg Synthroid and TSH down to 1.8 Finally went to an Endo. I have not met.....long story and convinced the office to let me try Armour. They placed me on 90 mg(11/2grains) and three weeks later I could  barely move. Extreme fatigue, muscle pain, crying etc. I tried increasing meds about 1/4 piece and got worse. I ran some labs and i had become hyper down to .23 and the free t3 was a little high. Oh I have antithyroglobulin antis in the 300s and tpo antis were found but "norma" levels in my opinion borderline. sound familir?
Hi is anyone presently taking the new formulated Armour? if so, are yo feeling good......is it the same as the old version of the med.? I just switches 3 weeks ago.
I came to this forum in 2007 originally but didn't get much help.

I was told by members of another forum that I didn't have Hashi's. However, my endo says I do and he should know, right? I believe him over what others have told me. He says I've had it for over 30 years. And now... UGH... it appears that for years I suffered bouts of thyroiditis every winter. I can look back over the years and remember every fall I'd start to feel bad; aches and pains, nausea, fatigue, neck aching, fever, chills, elevated wbc, elevated sed rate, etc.

I was erroneously diagnosed with Fibro in 2000, Lyme Disease in 1999, Mono in 1977, and more.

This last winter, I had what my endo first thought was an infection somewhere in my body (besides my thyroid). Later though he said it was in my thyroid. I'd been feeling good so he as I wanted to believe it was something other than my thyroid. I'd lost over thirty pounds, started exercising, eating better, doing housework and no fatigue.

Then wham it all fell apart. My thyroid became inflamed and all my progress went bust.

I am still recovering from the thyroiditis two months after a dose increase. This time though my endo decided to try Cytomel again. I've been told several times by primary doctors that my body can't tolerate Cytomel because I had perimyocarditis in 2007. Well, I CAN take it. Phooey on the primary doctors and the other endo (The guy was a total jerk. And when I had been overmedicated he refused to change my dose.).

I'm currently on 162 mcg of thyroid medication (Levoxyl 137 and Cytomel 5 mcg [equal to 25 mcg of  LT4] ).

My endo wants me on the Cytomel to keep the thyroid inflammation in check.

The biggest change has been in my energy level. I can do things one day and still be able to do things the next day. I could've never done that before. I can walk around a store and not feel wiped out afterwards.

Now I just wish I could sleep normal hours. During this last thyroiditis attack my circadian rhythm got discombobulated.
I have a very low TSH .08 FT3 and FT4 are within the lab normal ranges, however my TPO ab are 571.   I was diagnosed with Hashimotos about 10 yrs ago and have been medicated long time on Synthroid at 125 mcg.  I have had extreme HYPO symptoms of weight gain/inability to lose weight even with strenuous exercise and strict supervised healthy diet, hair falling out, dry skin, constipation, and extremely sore joints.  I had an appt with endo 2 wks ago sent for labs which are above.  What could be causing hypo symptoms and why would my TPO ab be still soooo high.  Have been feelling awful for over 1 yr.  I really do feel extremely HYPO definitely not hyper.  Any ideas, thx.
Dx with Hashimotos, thyroid cancer in 2005. After being frustrated by 3 endocrinologist, I searched the web and found M.H.  If anything, I found out that I wasn't crazy, and not alone. Just shocked to see so many with the same problems. Found some great support and a great lady named Utahmamma, who has suffered with so much, yet was willing to help others. I've had some great info from Dr. Lupo,.I have learned that if anything, you must be patient. .I am currently taking 150mc's of synthrioid. After 5 yrs, my tsh is getting lower, closer to where it's suppose to be instead of being really high. Heart palps are seldom, still low energy, but not as bad as it use to be. Muscle pain in legs are not as bad as it was.Taking calcium and D3 and fish oil. I'm still not at 100 %, but I guess I'll never be. I'm just happy that it's no longer as bad as it use to be. But gee, did it have to take over 5 yrs? I still have all of the problems related, just a little more tolerable. But compared to where I use to be, I am so much better, and no longer feeling depressed. Thanks MedHelp, Dr. Lupo and Thyroid community friends. Look foward in helping others.
Hi Everyone. I came across this board while looking for information on Hurthle Cell cancer and joined because everyone seemed so informative and supportive.

I posted a question on my situation last night and hope that someone pipes in with their opinion, as I am going through a difficult moment. In a nutshell, I only learned that my FNA tested positive for Hurthle Cells after I picked up my own medical records and read them--four months after my actual FNA. I am unable to get into my surgeon until Sept 29, which will be almost six months from the date of my FNA. Reading all I have about Hurthle Cell cancer, I am terrified that I have let it spread--if, in fact, it is cancer. I am praying for an adenoma, but I also have a history of radiation to the neck--Hodgkin's Disease 15 years ago.

Anyway, reading through everyone's posts, I am learning a lot. Thanks to all who participate I wish you all well!
Hello Everyone!

I have found this forum to be EXTREMELY informative and encouraging.  I am brand new to this whole thyroid disorder thing.  I was tested and diagnosed with hypothyroidism in mid June of this year.  I began taking levothyroxine and am still waiting to 'feel more like my old self.'  I visited my doctor on a routine blood pressure/cholesterol follow up and for some reason she chose to check my thyroid function along with my lipid tests.  I was called a week later and told she wanted me to begin taking synthroid.  My TSH was 9.2.  I was SHOCKED!  Never suspected anything of the sort however, I have since researched and I have suffered from EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM of low functioning thyroid (lethargy, hair loss, dry hair and skin, constipation, high cholesterol, swollen face, hands and ankles, extreme sensitivity to cold, etc, etc.).  I actually said to my husband that I felt like I'm sleeping my life away but I can't seem to do anything else.  I want to feel normal again.  
I was still feeling bad and struggling to make it to summer classes from May- August. Found two doctors in Birmingham, AL – one was a chiropractor, Dr. Murphree, who treat CFS/fibro and thyroid issues and one is a M.D., Dr. McMinn, who practices “wellness medicine.” They believe in the other theories that thyroid cannot always be cured by synthroid. Praise the Lord I found someone who believes that I really do feel bad.
Went to Dr. Murphree in July 2009. RT3 test was high 37ng/dL (range 11-32).
FT3 was ni range 3.5 pg/mL (range 2.3-4.2)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody was in range 38 (range <=60)
Vitamin d, 25-Hydroxy was sufficient at 63.0 (range 30-100)

Also completed a 24 hr saliva cortisol test. Results are as follows:
6:00- 8:00 a.m. depressed level of 6 (range 13-24 nM)
11:00 to noon  normal level of 10 (range 5-10 nM)
4:00 to 5:00 p.m. lower end of normal 3 ( range 3-8nM)
10:00 to midnight elevated level of 7 (range 1-4 nM)
DHEA depressed at 1 (range 3-19 ng.mL)

Also was tested for fungal overgrowth and bacteria in stool.
No yeast was isolated. Moderate Bacterial overgrowth detected.

Graduated college in August after a strenuous summer semester along with a stressful relationship with a now ex-boyfriend. I started graduate school the day after graduation. I was really worn out and by October could hardly walk to class. I decided I had to take a medical withdrawal. Primary care doctor would only say I had “mono” again and to take vitamins.

Thyroid test in Oct 15, 2009 by Dr. Blackmon
TSH was high 9.370 uIU/mL.

In October 2009, had a ultrasound of thyroid and liver done. Thyroid scan showed the tiny cysts on left lobe, still measuring 2-3 mm. So they haven’t grown any. Still showed that I had no right lobe.

Thyroid test in Oct 22, 2009 by McMinn Clinic.
TSH 4.340 uIU.mL (range 0.45- 4.50)
FT4 1.55 ng.dL (range 0.93- 1.71)
Vit D, 25 Hydroxy 54.3 (range 32.0-100.0)
RT3 352 pg.mL (range 90-350)
FT3 2.8 (range 2.0- 4.4)

TSH was on the high side. Reverse T3 was super high and Dr. McMinn said this indicated I have a conversion problem. My body doesn’t convert the T4 medication to T3 correctly, instead it makes RT3 which reduces that amount of beneficial T3 in my body.

MDL done in October confirmed I am positive for EBV, Human herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6) and negative for Lyme disease.
Spectracell lab test indicated I am low in antioxidants.
Its repletion suggestions were:
600 mg N-Acetylcystein daily to replete Glutathione and Cysteine levels.
200 IU Vit E. daily
50 mcg Selenium daily
30 mcg CoQ10 daily with a meal
50 mg Lipoic Acid daily
250 mg Vit C daily

Dr. McMinn started me on 15 mg Hydrocortisone daily- 10 mg in a.m. and 5 mg at noon. I tried Sustained release T3 from a compounding pharmacy from Oct 22- Dec 23, 2009 with no good results. He then switched me to cytomel on Dec 24, 2009.

At the present time, I am a 23 yr old female who has been being treated for hypothyroidism/adrenal insufficiency, fibro/CFS, with cytomel, HC, and synthroid.

My main symptoms are daily fatigue and extremely achey (achy) neck and shoulders as well as what I call "lead legs" when I just get totally drained very suddenly.

TSH (range 0.450-4.500)
Oct'09-      4.340uIU/mL
April '10-    0.07
July'10       0.082

FT4(range 0.82 - 1.77)
Oct;09       1.55 ng/dL
April '10      0.17
July'10        0.60

RT3 (range 90-350)
Oct '09      352 pg/mL
April'10      44
July'10       166

FT3 (range 2.0- 4.4)
Oct'09        2.8 pg/mL
April'10       15.4
July '10       6.7

Ferritin (range 13-150)
Oct '09       32 ng/mL
April'10       18
July'10        36

I felt good from late Feb to the end of April 2010. At that time I was on 50 mcg cytomel taken all in one dose about 7a.m. along with 10 mg of HC at 7 a.m. and 5 mg at noon. I did have some "hyper" symptoms of heart pounding and feeling hot so I was concerned I was taking a little too much cytomel.

I had blood tests done at the end of April that my doctor said indicated I was taking too much cytomel because my FT3 was 15.4.(see above chart). He decreased my cytomel from 50 to 25 mcg daily and added 25 mcg synthroid. We also decreased my HC from 15 mg to 10 mg bc I had gained some weight from a really overwhelming increase in appetite and I thought the HC may have been causing that.

After this decrease I started feeling super tired and achey (achy) again. Doctor said I could increase cytomel from 25 to 35 mcg and stay on 25 mcg synthroid. This increase may have given me slightly more energy but the aches and pains were still very prevalent along with the post work "crashes" where all I did was lay on the couch in exhaustion and pain.

Got my blood test results back from July 2010 and doc was kinda unsure how to proceed. Said he was going to treat me for my symptoms instead of results since TSH was really low and FT3 was still high even though I'm still feeling hypo.

On August 23, 2010, He let me increase my cytomel from 35 to 40 mcg but I felt "hyper" so I have since lowered it back to 35 mcg. I also tried 37.5 mcg but it still made me feel hyper. But at 35 mcg I feel hypo.

I’m at a point now where I don’t know what to do next. Based on my levels, some people say to increase my synthroid and decrease cytomel. I just want some long standing relief. I pray to God that I will find it. If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to personal message me or write on profile. I welcome and suggestions and support. Thanks again.
My search for answers began in April 2003. I was 16 yrs old. My period had disappeared for about 12 months and only returned once in February and some spotting in March. I lost about 20 lbs and looked sickly. I had no energy, couldn’t stay at school for more than half a day because I couldn’t walk down the halls without getting completely wiped out. Local doctor said I had mononucleosis. He sent me to an endocrinologist who tested my TSH which was 3.6 uIu/mL.The range at that time was still 0.5- 5.0. He would not put me on any thyroid replacement. He also did a fine needle biopsy which showed 3 small (2-3 mm) hypoechoic nodules on left lobe and unexpectedly, a missing right lobe (hemiagenesis). I only have one lobe of my thyroid. I do not know if I was born that way or what? The nodules were benign. He also ran a thyroid anti-TPO test which was 14 IU/mL.
I got as much rest as possible over that summer and was feeling better.

I had a so called relapse of “mono” my first year of college in 2006. Sometime in 2006, my local primary doctor finally diagnosed me hypothyroid and put me on Levoxyl 50mcg. I had no significant improvement of hypo symptoms. I was still feeling bad in June 2007 and my doctor said it was “mono” again. EBV Acute Infection Antibodies were elevated: EBV Ab VCA, IgM was 142 U/mL (range 0-99). EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG was ok at 60 u/mL (range 0-99). EBV Ab VCA, IgG was through the roof at 2092 U/mL (range 0-99). Cholesterol was also high (219 mg/dL), high LDL (147 mg/dL) and low HDL (39 mg/dL) at this point and has been ever since except once. I was on 50mcg until my TSH on Dec 28, 2007 was 9.81 uIU/mL (range 0.34- 4.82), so my dosage was increased to 75 mcg Levoxyl daily.

Re-tested thyroid in October 2008 because I was feeling bad. FT4 was 1.06 ng/dL (range 0.71-1.85). TSH 2.02 (range 0.34-5.60).

In January 2009 I went to the doctor for a sinus infection. I went through about 3 round of antibiotics with still no improvements.
Re-tested thyroid in April 2009.
TSH 0.65 (range 0.34-5.60)

Went back to the doctor in May because I still felt bad but they said I had no bacterial infection to treat. Did the following tests and no changes were made.

Test for EBV May 2009 indicated I was positive for virus. No surprise there.
EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG >8.0. (range 0.0.- 0.8)
EBV Ab VCA. IgG was high 6.1 AI (range 0.0- 0.8)

Thyroid test in May 2009 were in range.
TSH 0.566 uIu.mL 9 (range 0.45- 4.50)
FT4 1.42 ng/dL (range 0.61- 1.76)
is this a thyroid problem or a cold/flu?  i started having pain slightly on the right from the middle, bottom part of my neck.  it doesn't hurt when i swallow but it is tender and hurts when i stretch my neck or when i rub my neck.  it is swollen when i lay down but i cannot see the swelling otherwise.  i also do not feel sick or tired or any physical problem.  i was going to see my gp but the swelling went away and i thought i was nothing to see the doctor for so i canceled my doctor's appt.
several days later... my left, bottom part of my neck started having the same pain and tenderness.  it has been five days and now the right also started hurting.  i started having the chills today.  is this some of the symptoms of a thyroid problem or am i just coming down with a cold/flu.  i thought the lymph nodes are located on the side of the neck not on slightly off the middle like what i'm feeling.  other than the chills... i don't feel any other symptoms.  
I am looking for people who had their Thyroid gland taken out? No Cancer for me just a very large goiter that had to come out along with the thyroid(it wad all intertwined). I have had a two and a half year hell ride since the TT. Hypoparathyroidism and Sever Hypocalcemia and the list goes on.
It's definately different! and not in a good way! So if you have had a TT give me a shout! I'd like to ask you some questions.
meanwhile I'll keep looking !
I have justed started my journey in 4/10.  I am a person who never goes to the Dr. unless for a physical and I am usually running past due when I do go.  I had to give in...I was feeling as though food was stuck in my throat, was having trouble breathing.  Went to the Dr. in April told him of my problems and thought I was having problems with alergies (allergies).  He gave me medicine and said I was due for a physical so come back in May.  Went back in May still having the same problem, feeling restricted in throat area.  The Dr. made an appointment for me to see the ENT Dr.  Finally got an appt. in July with him.  He tested me for allergies to externals and I had no reactions.  He sent me out the door with meds for Gerd and flonase for sinuses.  This medicine did not make a difference, but I kept taking it.  Went to NJ to visit familyin August. On 8/16,17 and 18th I was experiencing sharp pains in my eys, just on movement.  Finally on the 19th when I got up I looked like I got in a fight.  Got back home to NC on the 27th with an extreme headache.  Had to given in so the next morning, Saturday, I had to call the eye doctor.  I went to see her and after seeing me she said I think you have an autoimmune disease........so my journey begins.

On 8/26 saw the Neuro-optamaligist and she checks my eyes and tested me for thyroid eye disease

TSH .01   (range .45-4.5)
TSI  322  (range 0-139)
TRab 5.81  (range .0-1.75)

This dr called me the next morning, wow someone that cared and was trying to get me help

Finally get to see my Endo. on 9/7 , he is wonderful, but talks like I know what is going on.  He tested my TSH and FT4 and FT3

TSh .03  (range .34-5.66)
FT4  2.67 (range .52-1.21)
FT3 6.36  (range 2.20-3.80)

He has put me on Tapozole 20mg

The weird thing about this all is that I always considered myself to have an extremely slow metabolism, always cold, struggle with weight management, low blood pressure, tired etc.  Now that this has happened my heart is crazy, I get the gitters, always hot, sometimes chils, but my muscles are weak.  I try to play softball last week and when I tried to run my legs just quivered and I thought I would collapse I also feel like I am in daze.

I stumbled across this board as I am trying to understand the autoimmune disease.  Are there foods that help, what can I do to make a difference with my siuation.  I am now afraid of getting other autoimmune diseases.  I can't really handle this one so I truly do not want another.  Please share all suggestions  Thanks
I too am new to this forum and the whole thyroid disorder experience.  I was diagnosed in July 2010 with Hypothyroidism (TSH of 10.97) by my primary care and she prescribed 25mcg of Levothyroxine.  I made an appointment with an Endocrinologist for the 6 week mark and he had a TSH/Free T4 test done which showed an improvement of my TSH, which was 6.09; my Free T4 was 0.69 and he diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Syndrome.  

My experience has been that I noticed things getting slower and weight creeping on over the last couple of years but since I'm 46 I just chalked it up to getting older and hormonal changes.  Since starting the medication; things have just escalated.  The first medication I got was generic and I did find help on these boards by reading that generic Levothyroxine can cause a lot of side effects that a brand name might not.  So, I had the prescription changed to Synthroid brand and that helped a lot.  My Endo increased the dose to 50mcg, which I've been on for about 30 days.

I only feel slightly improved, if at all.  Mostly there is just the ever-present feeling of lethargy.  I've read that depression can be a side effect but, for me, even though I feel depressed in the sense that I don't feel vibrant any longer, it is more a lethargic feeling and a feeling of just giving up trying because things that used to be easy are too hard (ie, exercise!)  So, this kind of feeds a snowball effect of feeling badly about myself for giving up but not having the energy to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get going to change things.  I am desparately hoping that as my journey continues my energy level will return and I will be able to turn things around.  I feel like I am sitting on the sidelines of life and I don't like the feeling at all.  I want to feel vibrant and alive again.
Does anyone else get mirgraines if you miss your dose of levothyroxine for a week or more? I get tested every 2-3 months b/c im taking 175 mgs of it. sometimes they make me stop it for a week and i get super sick. Mirgraines so bad it hurts when i breathe to the longer w/o panic attacks. I know it seems odd, but has this happened to anyone? I haven't a clue about my levels but they are ridiculously high. I am always looked at like I'm an oddball :)....... I've had the lower dosages and worked my way up... i'm hoping it won't have to go any higher b/c frankly I can do w/o the side effects :S....
I'm so glad that i found this site. I'm new here and reading some of the discussions & topics, i learned a lot, even though i dont understand some terms.
i also want to share my experience, and sharing it can make me feel better and lessen my burdens... 8 years ago, i felt a lump on the right side of my neck. I checked it with the doctor, she told me "that's nothing! it will go off!"... after 3 years, the lump was still there. i went to another doctor, i had a lot of blood test & ultrasound....all test was good, doctor told me no worries.... after 2 years, i went to another doctor... this time i did not tell him about the lump on my neck but w/ complains:1. breathlessness or difficulty of breathing, 2. tiredness, 3. palpitation & 4. backpain... he immediatelly told me that i have problem with my thyroid... I did some blood tests & ultrasound. on the ultrasound, i was suggested to do FNA or biopsy... with the word "biopsy" , right away cancer goes into my mind. and for me cancer means DEATH... i felt so down & as if i cant get up anymore. i was thinking of my 2 kids (15 & 10 y/o). i've been crying eversince. the doctor told me that i will undergo surgery & he reffered me to the specialist or endo. My endo requested me to do the FNA but unfurtunatelly it was unconcludable... so there's no other option but to do surgery. my endo expained to me that thyroid cancer is NO BIG DEAL coz its curable & Europe has the best hospitals. so all my worries were gone. he also explained that during the operation they will do the biopsy on the thyriod that was removed, & if they see that there is something wrong with it, automatically they will also remove the other. if only 1 thyroid removed, i'll stay at the recovery room for 3-4 hrs but if TT, i will stay at the ICU for 24 hrs. Last july 27, 2010, i had my operation, when i was at the recovery room & noticed that i was there more than 5 hrs, i already knew that they removed both of my thyroid. i was not even shocked when my endo told me that the tumor they removed was malignant. i already surrendered all my worries to the Lord. On oct. 25, i will undergo RAI, for the follow up treatment of my cancer. Fighting the battle of cancer is not that easy, but with my TRUST IN HIM, i know He will always guide & protect me.
HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE!
Hi Everyone
I found this site doing my research on thyroid.
I was feeling really weak, fast heart rate, shaking ( I fell like an earthquake) and sweating. My dr. thought it was depression, but also did a blood test. My test came back and showed my TSH .006 SO now she thinks its hyperthyroidism. Now the Dr. has took more blood tests for the results on T3 and T4. Can anyonne tell me what is going to happened next? How long will it take to feel better?
Thanks bunches
Greetings to all ! I have been Hypothyroid for about a year now. They tell me I have Hashi's but have never done the Antibody test to confirm. They have also not done the Untra Sound with Dye because you need to fast from Synthroid for 2 weeks before the test. My TSH in 2 weeks without the hormone would be more than likely around 80 to 100. When my TSH gets that high I get MAJOR depression followed by thoughts of suicide from the pain, headaches, body aches, sadness, anxiety, sleeplessness followed by passing out for 16 hours after complete and total exhaustion. I could go on for HOURS about the symptoms but I will digress. What I know, Dr s DO NOT want to hear that you through research may or may not know more than them about ANY subject. It is VERY few and far between that you find a humble Dr that is willing to think for a moment that you might know about 1 subject better than them. THANKFULLY, I believe I finally found such a Dr. It is not an Endo.. Just a PCP with a lot of heart. Unfortunately Through the process of figuring what was going on with my body and it's lack of Homeostasis .. I had been to many horrible Endocrinologists and Psychiatrists. Why the Psych ? ? WELL when your body is SO FAR from Homeostasis because one or a few of your Glands are not functioning properly your body goes into a sort of shock. Tendons, muscles ache and are sore.. You may (like me) cry at a drop of a hat when you've NEVER cried in say over 20 years. You could have ALL your debt paid off , have an incredible wife, house, family and life and still be so sad, depressed, worthless for NO REASON other than your body is trying to tell you something that you (and most Dr s) do NOT understand.. I still today am having MAJOR issues getting my TSH, T3 and T4 in check though in the same breath, For 3 solid weeks I had my TSH down to 1.73 NEVER in such a LONG time have I had so much clarity of mind happiness and well I almost felt normal. My body again revolted and my TSH jumped up to almost 12.. At 12 for me my body aches, I have massive headaches that sometimes turn into Migraines, brain fog, trouble with memory recall, remembering simple things like pick up a gallon of milk tonight, etc... I was at 125 mg of Synthroid at that time.. They upped me to 150 4 weeks ago and I go back for more blood work on the 29th.. At this point of the game for me right now.. I still have brain fog, loose B.M's , headaches, abdominal pains kinda like indigestion, and SEVERE sleeplessness followed by around 12 to 16 hours of sleep after around 36 to 48 hours of NOT sleeping.

Becoming as informed as you possibly can be on Thyroid issues and the symptoms that surround it is paramount to finding what works best for YOU.. Walking into your Dr s office with information Highlighted from Medical journals and credited sights with Dr s to say LOOK...LOOK at what has been discovered about side effects that go along with this disease is also a MUST.. I own 7 Thyroid books.. some worthless, some have been incredible devices in showing Dr s that there is more to Thyroid problems than just a TSH test.. Free floating T3 T4, Cortisol lvl's Adrenal fatigue, lack of Magnesium (this is from my mind so plz double check the vitamins it's off the top of my head).. Vitamin D depleted..  WIthout Homeostasis in your body.... Side effects may not be from the Drugs... it may still be that your body hasn't gotten back into check yet.. Stay strong.... BELIEVE that you can feel like you USED TO FEEL.. I had it for 3 weeks.. I will not stop until I find it again.. It is sites like this one that brings EVERYONE closer to feeling better again... It was actually another good site (though they tend to lean towards pig hormone and are in sorts one sided) "STOP THE THYROID MADNESS" .. A woman there had a huge support group that helped me initially deal with many of my problems and in finding a GREAT Dr and PCP.. and I hope this Site will further help me understand more about my Thyroid issues and WHY it has happened to me.. Thank you all for listening to my rant and letting me get all this off my chest.. BLESS you all and good luck in your fight for more knowledge, understanding and someday a CURE...
--Mike a.k.a. CIGZ  
well lets see.. the way i was diagnosed was not the traditional way.. ive always been on the heavier side but i thought that was b/c i was lazy and didnt do anything active.. but while i was in the marines, this should have been the first clue that something was wrong, i went through boot camp in jan 06 as a fat recruit b/c i was, like i said, on the heavy side.. i went in weighing 216 lbs but when i graduated 3 months later april 06 i had only lost 10lbs which puts me at 206lbs.. that is only 3lbs under my max weight im allowed to be in the marines.. well everything was going good till the weight started to gain slowly back no matter what i did.. in aug 06, when i would run during pt i started getting sharp pains in my left pectoral muscle.. they hurt so bad that i would almost be in tears.. so i went to medical to get this checked out and they hooked me up to an ekg to see if i was having heart probs.. well of course i wasnt.. so they sent me to a chiropractor in aug 06 to see if that would help.. all he did was find out that the cartilage that holds my ribs in my back are weak and that they pop out from time to time causing back pain.. so obvious he wasnt working so then i got referred to a physical therapist in oct 06 to see if its just the muscle that was having probs.. but still i would only get the pains when i ran.. finally after going to the physical therapist and not getting better, i got referred to a sports med dr in nov 06 that said he thought he felt something the matter w/ the muscle so he ordered an mri.. a week went by and did the mri.. a week after that i went in and all he said is you need to go see this ear nose and throat dr right now and that they are expecting me up there already.. i go to see my new dr and the frist thing she ask me is to look up.. then she said have you ever noticed that large lump in your throat before that has pushed your esophagus over? i told her ive never noticed it.. well to make a longer story shorter i was diagnosed w/ 2nd stage papillary cancer.. it was 2nd stage b/c it was so large.. i had a total thyroiductomy(sp?) and 3 out of 4 of my parathyroids taken out in feb 07.. the only conclusion that we can come up w/ is that the tumor was so large that it was pinching a nerve in my neck that was causing it to show up there with the bouncing in running..

strange things happen when they go up to high on an mri..

i found this site b/c of some things that have happened to me over the past few yrs that ive been trying to make sence of.. and for someone that i can talk to that understands my frustrations that i dont have to explain the total situation too..

yall are and will be a great help!
i've been dealing with this since june of this year. at first i thought i was going crazy. i've been lucky to have my doctor since he will try anything i'll ask him. he doesnt have the attitude i know it all. if you dont feel comfortable with the answers you are getting try a different endo not everyone has the same opinion/beliefs. at times i feel in the a hole. there are so many questions and not many answers.
I'm 41 and was just diagnosed with hypothyroid. I don't know much about it and I'm digging around for information. I hadn't felt great most of the year. in 2008 I had lost about 70 pounds. I kept it off through the end of 2009. We had just bought a home, my husband lost his job and my father passed away. The weight came back on, I've felt tired and just not myself. I thought that I was just depressed due to the obvious pressures. I suddenly had to go into the hospital and have my gallbladder removed, they told me my body chemistry was a mess because the gallbladder had irritated my pancreas. Since then I just haven't felt good. I thought perhaps my body was just adjusting to life without a gallbladder. My muscles hurt, cramped all the time. I thought I was low in potassium so I took a supplement. That seemed to help some with the cramping. Anyway, I went in for my physical and learned that I have hypothyroid.  A few days later I was called in to have a nerve conductivity test. I go in for the results of that this week. I'm not sure where to go for information. I don't know if there is a certain way I should be feeding my body to help offset my energy levels. I'm continuing to dig for answers. Part of me is thrilled that I have an explanation to how I have been feeling. Then, part of me is angry because my body doesn't function right. The lovely pill is a daily reminder that it doesn't. Then I have to pull back the drama queen and remind myself that there are a million illnesses out there that are far worse. I don't know how bad mine is because I don't know what the numbers should be or what they all mean. On the hunt for answers.

Nicole
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was about 20 years old.  18 years later and I am still fighting to feel normal.  My most recent lab work from about 2 weeks ago came back with a TSH of 19.  A couple of years ago, it was up to 104.  About 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with mono on top of the thyroid disease.  Since then it's been a constant battle to keep my levels in the normal range.  I feel like I've been on every dosage of Levoxyl made.  The Hypothyroidism has caused other issues such as PCOS, depression, anxiety, and high blood pressure.  I totally understand how others feel when they say how tired they are, bad muscle aches, and generally feeling like crap.  When people ask me about my health, I find it hard to explain to them what's going on and that this is a lifelong problem.  I usually get the impression that people believe I'm just lazy or a hypochondriac.  I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this, especially since neither my family nor my friends have to deal with this disease.
{{{{{{{{{ waving hello }}}}}}}}}}}}] to all our new members!

Happy New Year, too!

C~
I have been hypo for Almost 2 years now. My Current Dosage of Synthroid (levothyroxin (levothyroxine)) is 125 TSH 1.2 .. I finally !! FINALLY feel "normal" No longer feel Suicidal, Depressed "Bi-Polar" as they WANTED to diagnose me. My TSH was at 110 before I sought out help. My heart would POUND at night, trouble breathing, Migraines where I had not had a headache for over 15 years. Allergies change every 7 years. Things you are NOT allergic to now you could be in your next cycle. THOUGH in the same respect, Most Dr's don't have the "care for you" factor in their practice anymore. I for once finally have one that does care. It's important to find that !! My Symptoms in a nut shell where ; 1.) Unexplained Hunger that would wake me up around 230 am each morning I would HAVE to eat something and QUICK. 2.) Headaches !! MIGRAINES.. Depression complete and udder feelings of NOT wanting to go on even though for once in my life just about EVERYTHING was in order 3.) Suicide not wanting to be in total pain both physically and mentally any longer (SEEK MEDICAL HELP IMMEDIATELY IF THIS IS YOU) 4.) Pain and EXTREME tightness in my entire body as if my entire body was being pulled inwards. 5.) Exhaustion in ever sense of the word !! 6.) FREEZING cold hands and feet and NOT being able to regulate my body temperature i.e. can't deal with extreme heat or cold. 7.) Nap time anyone ? ? 8.) inability to wake when I should wake not with an alarm or with some1 HITTING me 9.) Racing heart, Chest pains, palpitations.. 10.) In best Cheech and Chong voice "Look at the pretty colors man" Times where I would see weird flashes of colorful light in my eyes 11.) MASSIVE weight gain.. I was 167 lbs @ 6ft tall VERY athletic. got up to 237 lbs went from a size 32 waste to 36 TIGHT no belt. 12.) I don't Cry..I can count on 2 fingers the amount of times I ever HAD....UNTIL I was Hypo.. Spontaneous sudden bursts of emotion and tears followed by Mood Swing or just sometimes quick and sudden Mood Swings. 13.) Stinky, smelly sweaty feet. Drenched Socks that STUNK.. 14.) Loos stool someday s, runny stool others..  15) LOSS of hair...THANK GOD it grew back, but I lost my eyelashes A LOT of head hair, arm hair, etc.. 16.) Dry Itchy Scalp and skin.. flakes , flakes and MORE flakes .. No matter what I did.. 17.) ITCHY..... 18.) Never went through the whole Pimple stage when I was pubescent but It hit me @ 34 pimples, ingrown hairs, Blemishes EVERYWHERE.. 19.) Immune system breakdown.. Prided myself with NEVER scaring when cut, scratched, etc.. EVERY scratch became a scar and took awhile to heal.. 20.) (sorry for these next few but it's honesty) Increased Sexual appetite when feeling hungry for food usually right before lunch and Dinner.. 21.) VERY DIZZY RIGHT AFTER EATING.. I mean good LORD almost falling down drunk dizzy, feeling sick by being so dizzy followed by a NEED TO SLEEP RIGHT !! THEN.. 22.) Kidney area hurt and ached as well did stomach.. 23.) Calves really hurt like when you havn't run or hiked in a VERY long time and over do it and pay for it the next day TIMES 1 Billion !! 24.) Intestinal pain and discomfort. 25.) Itchy eyes (which is why they say allergies..had allergy tests done only allergic to fish) I BELIEVE the itchy eyes come from the dry skin and loss of hair and having it grow back from time to time but I'm NO EXPERT.25.) Did I say that ? "Hey babe can you pick up a gallon of milk ?... Sure thing I'll get it after work...WHERE'S THE MILK ? WHAT MILK ? ? ? ? Complete Lack of Memory recall !!!! .  I hope to GOD that this helps at least 1 person.. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP.. SEEK HELP.. KEEP LOOKING TILL YOU GET THE RIGHT DR. AND ANSWERS.. GOOD LUCK and GOD Bless !!

Michael J. Cig
Age 35 Hoshimotos (hypothyroid) for about 2 years
1. I found medhelp by using an internet search engine.

2. I have auto-immune thyroiditis and some nodules. I am taking armour, along with cymbalta and lorazapam.

3.I don't think the board can improve any.

4. Well, I have had some success. It is easier for me to get out of bed. It has been over a year, with a dosage increase needed every 2 months. Sadly, I don't feel 100% better yet. Some days my muscles and joints ache so much, I spend most of the time in bed.  
I found this site whilst looking for information on hashimotos.

I was diagnosed in December started to feel better in January and now feel like I am going down hill again.  Have been on thyroxine for about 8 weeks now.  T4 and T3 have always been normal.  TSH was high is now back down in normal range.  Antibodies are not normal and are still going up.

Not losing any weight and no longer have energy to exercise.  Difficulty concentrating, kidney's ache too, sometimes just cry because everything just hurts soooooo much and no I am not depressed.  I am stressed, frustrated and anxious because I am concerned that I will never get back to where I want to be.

It is wonderful to see everyone's story and realise that it is not just me.  I have improved from taking Thyroxine substantially but I am not yet there.  If any one has had success losing weight would love to hear how.  Also interested in a diet that might assist in stimulating my metabolism into moving again....

I am here looking at all the questions and answers - it's good to see the dialogue.  It helps me to understand the the tests and the whys of testing - what to expect. It's jumping into the thick of things - the politics of treatment and the nitty gritty of feeling well.

Glad I found this spot.
hey - if you don't keep feeling better on the synthroid, give armour thyroid a shot.  most docs won't offer it but it's a wonderful med.  also - read the book Stop The Thyroid Madness for a lot of great information compiled from many patients with hypo.  i've also been hypo for 2 years and after 2 yrs of synthroid not helping i'm trying the armour now.  good luck!!!
Hi.  I'm new to this site.  I was diagnosed a few days ago with hypothyroidism.  I never had this before.  I'm a 37 year old female.  My TSH level is 7.5.  From the posts I hear it can go way above that.  That's crazy.  Because I feel horrible.  I think I had this thing for the past 2 years.  My lips look horrible.  I can't wear lipstick because they're always peeling.  My skin feels like a man's skin.  I gained 8 lbs last month alone.  I am so tired and cold all of the time.  I used to go to the gym 4 days/week and I can't even catch my breath walking up the stairs in my house.  I'm taking 50mcg of Levothyroxine for the next 6 weeks before my next blood test.  I hope to dear God I start feeling like myself again.  I'm so out of shape and my eyes are always puffy.  Please tell me I'll start to feel some relief soon.  My doctor is so busy she just gave me results and practically pushed me out with a prescription.
Brand new here.  I am 44 yo.  Married female.  Have 2 young sons.  From NW Georgia.  Now living in East Tennessee.  Found site by googling thyroid topics.

When I look up, I can see and feel an enlarged area at the base of my neck, just left and center, about the size of a ping pong ball.  A recent MRI of my neck showed 2 herniated discs *and* incidentally what I was told looked like a cyst in my thyroid.  That nurse recommended I tell my family practice physician that I needed an ultrasound.  Ultrasound was done.  Received a phone call from the nurse today stating that I have multiple thyroid nodules.  Was told I should have a 2nd ultrasound in 6 months.  My thyroid levels have been tested several times before, and findings have always been normal.

So now I'm worried.  I'm always fatigued and sleepy, and I've gained a great deal of weight.  Contradicting that, I have always had a very fast heart rate, my normal temperature is usually 99 to 99.8 degrees F, and I have episodes of profuse sweating with no known reason.   I feel like a hypochondriac, since nothing is ever actually 'wrong' when I visit the doctor.  I do have high blood pressure now, but no medications seem to work.  I was told I was also Type 2 diabetic and took medication for 4 years.  Just retested, and my blood glucose levels were actually normal, and they have remained within normal limits with no diabetes medication at all.  I feel much older than my age, I have general diffuse pain and stiffness all over, I have no energy, no endurance, and am often short of breath for no good reason.  

Feeling crazy at times.  And I DON'T want to wait 6 months for my next thyroid ultrasound!

Thanks for listening!
MAC
Found multi-nodular goiter in 2005 and nothing but uptake and scan was done.  Now?  It is a bit larger but not causing me any problems as far as I know.  Had a biopsy *FNA done in Apr2010 - inconclusive. So I am on Iodoral 50 -100 mg and companion supplements:  selenium, vit c, magnesium and Vit B complex. I also do the celtic sea salt water drinks to help get the bromides and fluoride out of my system.
   I must say this is the best I have felt in a long time.  I began the iodine last summer.  My recent bloods:  TSH, 3RD GENERATION -.47 mIU/L (ref range > or = 20 Years 0.40=4.50), T4, Free 1.3 (0.8=1.8 ng/dL ref range)  T3, Total 117   (76-181 ng/dL RefRange)   Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies   <10   (<35 IU/mL ref range)
  Thyroglobulin   38.1   H   (2.20-35.0 ng/mL ref range)  Ok. it's just a little high there.

I take alot of supplements but I alternate the days.  Some days I take zinc others I dont.  I do always take a probiotic and should get a good enzyme as well.  I am also using milk thistle to help my liver get rid of the bad stuff.  Vit D3 4,000IU.  Some Vit E.  

I try to eat unprocessed organic foods and drink clean water.  I am somewhat gluten free.  I am 55 and on NO meds for anything.  I am eating garlic/ginger sandwiches for the heat along with cayenne pepper caps and capsaicin nose sprays.  I miss junk food a little.  I have not eaten fast food in a very, long time.  Or restaurant, carry out, etc.  
  I love Kefir with FOS and greek yogurt.  My cheese is goat cheese for salads, pizza, and things like that.  For wine it's red and made with organic grapes.  
   I really feel I have increased energy and need to begin yoga and mini  trampoline to help my adrenals and lymph system (I dry brush my skin).  
  I have a history of melanoma, basal cell, and squamous so I began a series of mild superficial chemical peels on my face and will be doing some tea tree oil on other skin to get rid of pre cancerous lesions *HOPE!
  I am married and have a daughter who is Hashimoto's/hypothyroid/pcos and gluten sensitive.  We have three doggies and I am fostering one more.  
   My husband also was recently diagnosed as hypo.  Is it in our house?  (I am also trying to stop some aerial pesticide spraying of our neighborhood to slow a moth that eats trees.  I feel bad for the trees but this pesticide is harmful to those with immune problems and lung issues (I also have nodules there, too).

:)
To rehabmac: I know just how you feel. Sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac because it seems like something is always wrong. I hate to tell my family and freinds because I dont want it to come off as complaining all the time. People just don't know what we go through and that is why I am so happy I found this site.

I am 26yrs old and I had a TT in 2001 when I was just 16. I am still trying to get myself together. I got married in May 2009 and my husband and I want children and right now it is just not happening and my fear is that I will not be able to have them. I have gained soo much weight over the years and am at the point where I will do ANYTHING to lose it. Alot of the times I feel depressed, don't want to leave my house and I dont want to be around friends and sometimes not even family. Let me just say that on a good day.. I can be a social butterfly because I love to laugh, be happy, and I can be the life of the party. But when this thyroid is of control it seems to drain the life right out of me.
The weird thing is I know a woman who had a TT and does not have to take synthroid and she is fine. So I asked my doctor about it and she took me off synthroid for about 6 weeks and I was miserable. I just started them back this week and I can already tell the difference. She said my results were all over the place and just looking at them made her exhausted.
We are all going through very similar things and if I can be of any help to anyone let me know. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to be able to talk freely about what we are going through without people judging us and thinking we are lazy.
My recent lab reports says below and my family Doctor says she never saw this type of results and advised me to see a specialist. Please let me know if you have any guidence to go further. I feel tired and suffering from back pain.

TSH 3RD GENERATION w/reflex to FT4 -----> 0.04 L
T4(THYROXINE),TOTAL                        -----> 4.3   L
FREE T4 INDEX (T7)                            ------>1.5  
T4, FREE                                            ------>1.2
T3, TOTAL                                          -------->86
T3 UPTAKE                                        -------->35

Thanks for your help.
Tods
I have been sick for a long time. my doctor just told me i have Hyper , Maybe graves disease . i am going to specialist in april 12. I cant sleep the simptoms are bad .  I am hoping to see a light at the end off all this stress .
Hi iam trying to use the program, i am not sure if i am posting the info in the correct place. Thank you for all.

tsh.03/normal range is .35-5.50
ft4 1.3
thyroid stimulating immunoglob is 6.0 tsi index /normal range is less than or equal to 1.3
      I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos in February after going to have my back checked. In 1999 I herniated three disk in my lower back had disk trimmed off unfortunately it caused nerve damage. Two years later two of the original ones herniated again but not bad enough for surgery. I now have neuropathy and scar tissue on my spinal cord. In February I went to dr for severe pain in back and found out about the scar tissue and during a routine blood test that I have Hashimotos.

My original test showed my TSH at 5.44. I was put on a low dose of synthyroid and my levels are fine for now. TSH 0.39 T4 12.7 and T3 88.1. I am still having problems with fatigue, hair thinning and memory/concentration but hopefully that will all get better. I found this forum while searching for info on the thyroid disorders because my doctor basically told me I had it as he was leaving the room ! Everyone I have talked to on here is very nice and helpful with any questions I ask no matter how stupid they sounded lol. If anyone wants to add me as a friend go ahead since I am new I only have a couple of friends but am interested in how others deal on a day to day basis with thyroid disorders. My main goal is to keep on top of things and go from there. As a side note many of my symptoms are the same with my thyroid and back, so I think I have had problems with the thyroid for about three years now but thought it was from my back.  
Hey everyone =)
It's been a year since i last posted but now i feel the need more then ever to communicate... I was diagnosed with MTC in April 2008. I had a TT on April 8th 2008 and after surgery is when the oncologist determined i had MTC and it had spread to my lung tissue and liver.
Radioactive iodine was no longer a option so in December 2008 i had a hepatic oblation (ablation) and in May 2009 i had Radiation Beam Therapy for the tumors on my lungs.
Now a year later i have 6 tumors in the liver region.... Yup they're back.... This whole week i've laid in bed for days at a time and i've been real anti-social. Sadly 7 months ago me and my girlfriend broke up. I feel bad that it happened but altho i blame myself it's hard to grasp what i'm left with because of this condition.
I've always been a social bug and positive but now i really start to see the effects... After over 10 years of DJing once to twice a week around the US i've lost my drive and tonight i was booked to play in Downtown SD and i just didn't go.
Just getting motivated to go feed my cichlids downstairs is a task. It's very hard for me to even talk on the phone. I'm not in alot of pain but why the past few months i've kinda gave up on really taking care of myself  is bugging me out.
I noticed that i get this "temper" out of no where and i always catch myself taking it out on the people around me.... It's tough because i was never the one to voice concern and i always acted like things were ok. I've even lied to my close friends that my oncologist said i was gonna long term be ok and there's no need for concern...
After being misunderstood in my relationship i kinda feel the need to reach out a little bit. I don't know if anybody has ever felt like this but i sometimes felt pressured to do activities even if i didn't feel good... The main thing i noticed myself doing was just sneaking into my room for a quick nap...
I always felt that after my surgery my girlfriend would be insecure about the way i acted. I always worked hard and did what i could but after being told i was "disgusting" for sleeping in or for taking afternoon naps it kinda got to me.
Music was my release and i felt like while in the studio my girlfriend would get upset and slowly stopped supporting my love for music. I released my first track that was 1/2 done in my hospital bed in 2008 and since then i've released over 20 more all charting top 100 international dance charts. I would of never motivated myself to work so hard if it woes not for this cancer.
I sometimes feel like a horrible person because things didn't work out and maybe i could of done otherwise. Maybe what's bugging me the most is wondering if i am this bad person like i am made to be???
Ughhhh, I dunno what i just ranted about but i'm gonna press return without over reading.....

I am a 34 yr old single mother of three and recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  I have been treated for Hypothyroidism for about 10 years untill my GP felt "nodules" and referred me to an Endocrinologist.  I struggle with fatigue, weight gain, focus problems, etc.  I have gained significant weight the last 3 years or so and I am worried that I will NOT be able to lose without a frustrating struggle...  :(   I am very discouraged and maybe a little depressed.  Hope to get some good tips, encouragement, and a brighter outlook.
I found this site because I was looking for a support forum relating to thyroid cancer.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Hashimotos and nodules shortly thereafter.  Unlike many others, I have had wonderful experiences with my doctors.  My diagnosis occurred very early before I had any significant symptoms.  I had changed gynecologists and because I had weight issues and an irregular menstrual cycle, he tested my TSH levels.  They were elevated so he referred me to an endocrinologist, whom I saw one week later.

Initially, the endo didn't think I had a problem, because I wasn't experiencing many hypothyroid symptoms.....although I was overweight, it was not a recent unexplained weight gain.  But as soon as he felt my neck, he said, "Well maybe you do have a thyroid problem."  

So he ordered more blood tests and that week my TSH levels were normal, but I had the Hashi antibodies.  I have always been grateful for the timing...had I visited the gyno one week later, my TSH levels would have been normal and my thyroid disease would have remained undetected!  I was very lucky.

For the last 12 years, my hashis has been well managed on Synthroid.  Every so often, I could feel myself getting fatigued easily and know that it was time for a medication adjustment...I learned to be very in tune with my own rhythms, so I could get the treatment I needed.  I've worked with 3 different endos (changed only due to moves) and have loved each of them and found them all very knowledgeable and receptive.  I did my homework, before choosing any of them!  For me, treatment has involved doctor's visits with sonograms about every 6 months and more biopsies than I care to remember.

Most recently, one of my nodules showed calcifications on sonogram.  So my doctor wanted it biopsied, even though it was very small....again I am grateful.  When the results came back with atypia cells, he told me that it was only a 10% chance of it being cancerous, but neither of us were comfortable leaving it in.  I decided to have my thyroid removed and found a surgeon who specializes in this kind of surgery (very important).  He was amazing...great credentials, experience and caring.  A few days after surgery, we found out that the pathologist found papillary carcinoma that was completely contained in the thyroid.

Now, we are in the process of deciding if RAI is the next step.  My understanding from speaking with my doctors, is that there is no evidence that RAI lowers the incidence of recurrence in tumors as small as mine was.  Nevertheless, RAI would eliminate any remaining thyroid tissue around the parathyroids and make the diagnostic tests for recurrence more accurate.  It would also allow them to do a full body scan and confirm that the cancer did not leave the thyroid.  If my thyroglobulin levels drop to 0, I won't do RAI, but it's probable that the RAI will be necessary to get it there.  So we'll give it a month and do blood tests before making a decision.

As for how I feel, I'm very hypothyroid at the moment (TSH of 24)...so I'm tired and achy.  But they've just upped my medication and I hope to feel better soon.

cj
hey my TSH  level is 8.15 can u tell how much risky is that please??i have irregular periods
Hi...

Found this site yesterday after a tt just over a week ago...  multinodular goitre, diagnosed about 13 years ago... finally found someone who would listen to me after all those years of stress and going through blood tests and CT scans or ultrasounds, being told it was all in my head and I needed to see a psychologist because I was concerned when my father died from Thyroid Cancer 15 years ago, my brother had a TT in 1988 and my mother and her sister both have Hashimoto's... hello gotta be something there.

Today I am struggling but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere and I am hoping that someone here will help me find it.

Thanks guys
TT - NSW - Australia
Hi there, greetings from Norwich, England, this is my first post.  

1.  I found this site while browsing for info on levothyroxine side effects.

2.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 12 years ago when I was 48 and undergoing investigation of very heavy menstruation.  I also have mild asthma and vitiligo (an autoimmune skin condition causing loss of pigment).  My mother also had the same three conditions (she lived to 92 btw!).  There's also a history of autoimmune disorders on my father's side (type 1 diabetes).  This is a shot in the dark, but both my parents had Rh negative blood groups (as do I and my sister, she has type 1).  Is there any known connection between Rh factor (or lack of it) and autoimmune disorders?

I take 100mcg levothyroxine and have annual blood tests.  For several years I've been experiencing heat intolerance, palpitations and feelings of anxiety/panic, plus difficulty sleeping (any more than 5 hours is a bonus).  I put this down to the menopause and have been taking a natural remedy which helps a bit, but at age nearly 60 I wonder if I'm having levothyroxine side effects?  

3.  As I'm new to the site I can't comment on how helpful it is, but it's good to make contact with other people worldwide who share similar issues.

4.  Successes . . . watch this space!
had thyroid cancer and therefore had my thyroid removed. I gained 40 lbs. in six weeks---yes 40, and have continiued to gain even though I am up to 200mg's daily. I have moaned and groaned to my 3 doctors, esp. my endocrinologist. I have also been plagued by memory loss and lack of concentration, I was tired all the too---a severe lack of energy, I hadn't slept properly at night in just as long. I'd wake up and jump straight out of bed in the middle of the night from cramping--legs, back, hands, feet, everywhere. I was irritable, severely depressed, and had panic attacks. I was in a fog constantly. I thought I all of a sudden developed allergies---to everything---all year round.   WELL, I ran out of levothyroxine and did not have the money to buy it, so I of course could not take it. It has been almost a month, and let me tell you, my "allergies" have completely gone away---I can breathe again!   I have more energy than I have had since I had my thyroid removed, The past two weeks I haven't even considered a nap. I feel and think sharply and clearly--like I used to. I have been feeling emotionally better as well-----ALOT better. I am not putting on weight, in fact the opposite, and am going to get a scale to prove it. I fell truly as though I have literally come out of a fog!  At this point I do not have health insurance so I will not be going to my doctors. But when I am able to, it will not be the same ones that I have been complaining to for the past 5 years. I really think I am allergic to this stuff, and my quality of life was not up to par while taking it. I will say that I did take Synthroid when I had insurance and it seemed to work better, so maybe that would be an alternative (if you have health ins cause it is really expensive). I don't know, but I do know I will not be taking Levothyroxine ever again.
Hey Im 21 and was diagnosed with Hashimotos and graves disease... got a total thyroidectomy on the 1st of april and to be honest... I feel worse!! Ive now been left with hypocalcemia and bad anxiety and I hate it... Ive also had a lot of problems with my drs... I feel there useless arses!!! So yeah this site has defo been a blessing =) Its good to talk to other folk who have had similar experiences x
Im really confussed here. I thought when you have hyperthyroid your tsh is high, but im reading about people with low tsh and having hyperthyroid. can someone please explain all this to me.. I just had all the blood work today tsh t3 t4 and other hormones as well. I had a hida scan done on june 3 in which they put radioactive dye in me to look at my gallbladder and every since I have not been well. Every night my face feels feverish, my eyes have the surprised look, i have lost 2 lbs and im already skinny i have a lump in my neck where thyroid is and it hurts it hurts to swollow sneeze yawn cough look up im totally feeling crazy my resting heart rate wont go below 90 in which my normal was 58-65 im totally strssing over thise, my tsh test will be done tomorrow, they have to send out the t3 and t4 we are a small hospital. but yet i also get cold and then hot. help..
I'm glad to hear success stories. Just remember, that if your endocrinologist is not listening to you, you always have the option for a second page.  I would recommend that you lookup who is your local thyroidologist, they are endocrinologist's who deal strictly with thyroid disorders.  Currently it's a small group of them, but they are very knowledge.

I currently sell Ultrasound supplies online, however, I also distribute ultrasound systems.  I can tell you that I've met alot of endocrinologist's, but if I ever had a thyroid disorder, I would go running to a thyroidologist.

Their website is http://www.thyroidologists.com/....  I hope this helps all of you.
Hi all,

I am also kind of new here to this community. My hypothyroid was diagnosed  in April this year. Although I was gaining weight since beginning of this year. Finally, in April, I went to the doctor and told her that I find something wrong with my body as suddenly I am gaining weight and despite of my efforts, I am not able to stop this weird thing.

My TSH and FT3 were normal but FT4 was low (0.83). I had started medicine and changed my lifestyle a bit but low calories food (to the extend I could, not much) and 10-20 mins walk (which is the max I can spend on myself).

After 2 months, I had my tests done. I have lost 5 KGs and my FT4 has gone up to 1.24. Now, my thyroid is normal but doctor suggested me to continue with medicines for at least another 2 years. Then we will see. I just keep track of my weight for now.

I wish to continue lose weight. I have to lose another 10 KGs to get into shape. Just wish me best of luck for that.

I wish all of you get well soon and continue to remain healthy.
I remember having fatigue real bad for a while, at the same time I was having extreme anxiety.

My thyroid was one of the several, "1st" things that was tested. My endocrinologist that I was referred to said: "no way do I have a thyroid problem that's causing me any discomfort. I thought I had low testosterone prob's I thought too. Wow! the doc was SOOO against any sort of testosterone replacement. My levels were taken about 4 or 5 times and they were all around 190,....maybe the high was 230? This is JUST above the bottom range for hypogonadism for males. I was in my early 30's too....pretty young.

I said heck w/ these Dr.'s and paid out-of-pocket (expensive tho.) for a guy more open-minded. He did blood-work that was AMAZINGLY detailed. They filled about 20-30 tubes of blood when I went to the lab.

He saw my testosterone was STILL low AGAIN....started me on transdermal therapy. It helped.

He also ordered an additional test for a western blot analysis for Lyme bacteria anntibodies. There was a list of about 15-20 of them (Ab's) for unique antigenic determinants that were only found on Lyme bacteria (Borrelia Bergdoferri). I was positive for several of them. The test was considered positive if you tested positive for at least 4 or 5 of particular Ab's....some were more definitive than others. However, I was officially positive after tresting negative for Lyme Dz on urine and PCR-based blood tests thru my PCP.

So I was started on "Ceftin"...kind of a medim-to-high dose for a month. -WOW! I really felt it! I got SOOO sick. I developed a 2ndary erythema migrans (bulls-eye rash) on my arm, my joints in my hands and knees among others swelled and became sore as ******!
My fatigue went thru the roof! I had to go out to the car and lay down in the back seat during work. I'd do this for as long as possible, several x's/day. The fatigue was like "CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME". WHen I reported my problem, he said that many physicians believe that CFS is actually Lyme Dz, undiagnosed. ALso diseases like MS, ALS, and others were actually unexplained Lyme.

A well respected Dr., un-froze some brain samples of patients that died from ALS (Lou Gherig's Dz sp?). Amazingly something like 8 out of 10 of the frozen brains tested positive for Lyme bacteria Ab's. I think he may have even isolated the bacteria itself in many of the cases. It's VERY evasive and hard to find I guess.

Then, I was switched to a combination of 3 antibiotics the next month and I got even worse. My joints got WAY worse.....my face even swelled up. He called it a Jarsch-herxheimer reaction from killing off too many bacteria at once-they release endo and exotoxins when they die offf. After a few months, the reaction got less and less severe. But the characterisitics changed depending on the antibiotic combo I took.

I know I wasnt allergic to any antibiotics either.....from childhood and very young adult experiences with many types of antibiotics.

Today, I feel SOO much better, but not perfect. So, Im thinking my high TSH levels and thyroid AB's may be messing something up w/ my health.

I feel like it could be a repercussion of the lyme dz. Nerve damage which has been verified by nerve conductance tests may have afffected my endocrine balance as well as the Ab's?

I'd love to try balancing my thyroid levels and see if that helps further.

j
Hi my name is jesseka and im 24 years old. i was born without a thyroid and since i was born i always have to have my blood drawn and take pills every single day. I cant take it any more its so annoying but i do it for my kids. I am always tired, bruise easily,and my hair falls out like crazy, am i alone? Im pretty sure im not.
hello and thankyou all for being so informative!!!...i was dianosed 11mths ago hypothyroid was put on synthyroid and almost 3wks ago was taken off due to my tsh being very suppressed now the dr says hyperthyroid..i have a multinodular goiter and struggle each day with being overly tired,achy muscles with weakness also pain sometimes severe in my jaw and neck..i am learning a great deal from this site ..THANKYOU...JUST..THANKYOU ALL....................b
I'm one of the rare men who have hypothyroid. My level up to February of this year fluctuated at an elevated level of 5.5 to 4.5 or so in February. Then a recent test showed I had 7.5. My only symptoms were stubborn cholesterol level around 200 and no matter how healthy I ate I could not bring it down,  my fatigue (lack of energy), lack of motivation, maybe a dark cloud over my head most of the time, and digestion issues that come and go. But hypothyroidism runs on my mom's side. I'm 52. I feel fortunate that I'm now on thyroid medicine.

I'm knocking on wood since I had only four doses of levothyroxine. I have not read one positive thing about that drug. I'm taking 50 mcg per day. But right away my digestion went back to normal. My IBS has disappeared. I hope that is a long term thing. On my fourth day of this I did not get the fatigued feeling in the afternoon.

I am thin, and have been thin all my adult life except in the late 90s for two years or so (girlfriend was a great cook). I have been an exercise fanatic spanning five decades (teenager through current). And I ate healthy generally. I have waged a very impressive battle against my elevated TSH and my symptoms.

But I want energy and less fatigue. I want to lower my cholesterol. So I am open to taking this medicine.

Ironically when I googled IBS and levothyroxine, I had a lot of hits. Most people started suffering IBS after starting levothyroxine. I immediately feel the opposite. A Mayo clinic site says that I should feel more energy in two weeks and gradually drop cholesterol.

I will see.

One of my sisters started taking levothyroxine a few months ago. Her hair started falling out, but the situation has stabilized.

For now, I am intrigued by the thought of being able to eat more red meat (I am on low dosage of high blood pressure medicine, quinapril, and eat an extremely high fresh vegetable diet - low goitrogens, and eat mostly salmon and very low sodium tuna). I will check in from time to time. Hopefully I will have good news in a few weeks - more energy, lower cholesterol.
Hi,and I am new to this forum.
   Lately I have been extremely tired ALL the time.I can get a decent nights sleep,get up in the morning and 4 hours later Im ready to go back to bed .I wake up every morning with a dull headache that usually lasts the good portion of the day.I just dont feel like myself anymore.I complained to my dr about the fatigue and got a hepatitis c diagnose.Could I also have a thyroid problem?What tests do I need to confirm something like this????cindy
To: More Awareness Needed
I love this sight so far.  I can relate to most of the stories here.  I'm always looking for things I can do that are "outside the box" to help improve how I feel  Its hard to understand why GP's don't notice the signs of hypothryroidism more often and refer to endocr.  It took several doctors to find that my underactive thyroid was at the root of all my health issues.  It brings me to tears when I realize how many years I spent suffering and miserable - always hearing there was nothing wrong.  We all have to be pro-active about our health and keep pushing until somebody listens when we say "I know my body and I don't feel right".  Been on prescrp for 4 years now and changed doctors because I still have symptoms.  Tested for TPO antibodies for the first time and now confirmed with Hashimotos.  I was interested in suggestions on diet and nutrition that may help.

Thanks for reading.
I have had thyroid diease for 17 years and know nothing about it i just go in and do the blood tests and take the medicine but lately i feel so hormonal my tests keep coming up abnormal and had a piturary test done was high had mri done no tumor but i have breast milk ( i am not  able to get pregnant my tubes are tied ) so when there was no tumor my doc said nothing then the last time i got tested abnormal again but this time low (wouldnt that indicate hyper well im far from that i have no energy depression fatigue  fat hair loss bladder infections all the time and more ... the first one said tsh was 22.120(abn:h) and she did not change my dose it is at .175mcg now i did again and it is 0.037(abn:L) so another doctor put me on .137 mcgs now iam doin another one and i will see tuesday but i dont have insurance so i go to a sliding scale clinic i get insurance in june i just wanted to know am I doing something why would it change back and forth i just wanted to see if anyone knew anything i cant belive i just started learning bout this thanks
This is a very old thread and many of the persons who commented on it, no longer participate in the forum.

In order for us to help you better, why not start a new thread of your own, and post your lab results, with the reference ranges, since those vary from lab to lab and must come from your own report. We can then help assess your situation and offer suggestions.

To start a new thread, click on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page, type your question, then click the green "Post a Comment button just below your post.

Sounds like you are having hypo symptoms.

i have just read your,letter to the forum+i am also new to this site and so pleased that i did because i have also been diagnosed with hyperparathyroiddism because had a blood test that showed i have a high calcium count, i have had a blood test,  and now have to wait 2weeks for the result, i really dont want to have the operation to resolve this complaint but would rather see if medication will help, hope that you find the right treatmet that will help you.!!
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in December of last year. I don't think I really noticed any syptoms (symptoms) other than the hot flashes and my legs hurting but I just put that off to menopause and fibromyalgia.
I had RAI in March and still have to take medicine for hyperthyroidism.

I found this forum by searching for information about Graves and weather or not I would still have it after the hyperthyroid was taken care of.
Hi there, artfemme here.

I came across this forum while researching hypothyroidism and my various symptoms online after getting little medical help. I had every worsening symptom of hypothyroidism, yet my TSH was in the lower level of the normal range, so I was told that I must have some other medical problem or problems to explain all my symptoms and in addition probably needed psychiatric help. My hair fell out in bags and I gained 40 lbs without eating any more that usual. The outer edges of my eyebrows were missing but I was told I was "just getting older." In addition, my endo, a middle aged woman in not-very-good-shape, told me that anyone would kill for curly hair like mine. She said this while thumbing through a magazine as I enumerated my worsening symptoms, which started to include disorientation, depression, and panic attacks.

This made me very angry and finally after a year of continued complaining, during which I DID go to a shrink who did not help me, my endocrinologist deigned to feel my neck and discovered that my thyroid was enlarged. I was sent for an ultrasound, which showed nodules, and put on a small amount of Synthroid.....not because I "needed it", but simply to try to keep the nodules from growing. I was never given FREE T tests, only TSH and total levels. The fact that my TSH had gone from it's usual .89 to double that was considered inconsequential.

I ended up hospitalized after a panic attack that lasted for 4 days. That's when I decided to fire my endo, do my own research, and ask my primary to prescribe T3 in addition to T4, which helped immediately but could easily have not....I was just guessing, which is a pretty unsafe feeling. Thank goodness it worked and cleared my head enough that I could do my research and find this forum. (I also lost 15 lbs. in 3 weeks.....obvious myxedema, which I was also told I did not have. I have gained it back in 3 weeks when my T3 is lowered)

I have spent 6 years trying to recover my health and am only just now on a dose of 2 thyroid hormones that brings my FREE T4 and FREE T3 into the middle and upper levels of the Bell Curves and reduces my symptoms. I have been through 5 endocrinologists and used my extensive scientific research, printed out and taken to my primary doctor, to get her to help me deal with what is an obvious conversion or tissue resistance problem when endocrinologists would not. Finally, she believes me....as all my CBC and metabolic panels and blood pressure have normalized as well with the only change being thyroid hormones.

Through all of this, I could not have been as strong, informed, or persistent without the help of the members of this forum. Just knowing that others have the same symptoms and have gone through similar struggles with not only their health but also with their doctors has given me great solace.....in addition, I have received invaluable support from the members in learning how to read my labs and in how to evaluate them as well as tips on scientific articles and other sources of information that have helped me enormously and saved me research time.

I absolutely feel that Med Help has helped save my life. I continue to post questions, and do my best to give back by sharing what I have learned with others.
I am new here and ran across your post. I also beleive Levo is dangerous. Can you give me an update to your health? I have Graves and TED terrible. Had Rai131 in 2009 and its been hell ever since. On 100 mcg of levo and still hyper. Please reply.thanks
I was diagnosed with Papillary (thyroid) cancer when I was 18. They had to remove my entire thyroid and they had me take different medications until they set on levoxyl. I was not the best with keeping track of my medication and often would miss dosages. It became at bit out of hand with my irresponsibility that my TSH levels increased dramatically. I even had my endo tell me that I could take a whole weeks worth of pills at the start of the week however,  he end the converststion with he "wouldn't recommend it." Needless to say I've been doubling up on my pills if I miss taking a dosage due to my memory or insurance companies which has manage to bring my levels down. Can this be dangerous to my health  in the long run?
I just turned 60 on July 3rd.  I grew up competing athletically with 5 brothers (so that I would not be called a sissy).  As a child I grew erratically, lost clumps of hair but always competed successfully.  I never expected my 60th to find me like my mother.  She always said she just wasn't a "sport".  She took me to the dr as a child and asked why I was so hard.  She had so little muscle, she did not recognize it!  Because I was not growing in height (no growth from age 3 to 8) they looked at thyroid.  l seems that I was always on the low side of normal.  I started growing at record pace when I was 8 and stopped at age 13, at exactly 5 feet tall in spite of coming from a tall family.

In 2005 I was rebuilding my house after a hurricane and holding my own with the much younger men doing construction work.

In 2006 I realized I had grown 2 inches since 1985 (from age 33 to age 52). I was having jaw and ear pain.  One brother had just recovered from a pituitary tumor. I started seeing a local pcp.  The first thing I told him was that I thought I needed to see an endo.  He ran some blood work and found that my TSH was high and T4 was low.  He put me on levothyroxin (levothyroxine) and periodically retested.  He adjusted the dose once.  In all the years since, I feel that I have gone downhill. I lost all the hair on my arms and legs, my stamina was gone, my skin was dying, my hair was dry.

I was diagnosed with RA in 2007.  My blood pressure went totally out of control in 2009 despite 5 different bp meds.  My arms developed purple spots that would begin with and itch and end with blotches of broken capillaries for no apparent reason. I was functional 3 or 4 days a week while the rest of the time was spent recovering from a day of activity.

I was put on medication for ADD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety disorder as well as the meds for RA.

A few months ago I switched doctors because my skin was dying over large areas of broken capillaries.  On the first visit he diagnosed enlarged thyroid with palpable nodules.  He sent me for an immediate ultrasound and referred me to an endocrinologist. The ultrasound and minimal, but new, labs confirmed another immune disorder, Hashimoto's He warned me that the endo was not very talkative but he was smart.

Last week those two doctors actually talked about me.  They switched me to Armour at a very low dose.  Within 3 days I started to feel like what I used to think of as normal.  I have a better appetite than I have had for years but lost 2 pounds in 3 days?!?

I am scheduled to have complete labs run 5 weeks after starting the Armour.  I am scheduled to have another ultrasound and probably fine needle biopsy in November.  In the meantime my blood pressure seems to have normalized on 2 medications.

What do I think?  I think I have at least 1 (of 3) thyroid nodule that dumps hormone into my system in a batch which is adequate to give me hyperthyroid symptoms, such as high blood pressure and palpitations.  I think my body does not convert T4 to T3 normally leaving many of my cells in hypothyroid state. I think the T4 has ramped up my heart. I think the unconverted T4 is passing through my bloodstream unused all while showing normal levels on TSH and T4.

All of the research I have done does not answer the question "What is the function of T1 and T2?"  

It is kind of funny that it took an old, old-school physician to say that if nature creates it, we probably need it, even if we do not know why.  I AM curious but most of all I am just happy to have hope that I may make a real comeback.

Funny story...I showed my cardiologist my bicep (flexed).  He asked if I had been working out.  I said no, this is what is left after two years of being afraid my heart would explode.  Now I am looking for a good, cheap treadmill or elliptical so I can work on getting the rest of my life back from the comfort of my air conditioned living room.

People can have both hypo and hyper symptoms.  I can not stand heat and never have a problem with cold.
I never took the old Armour but the new one is my replacement for Levothyroxin (levothyroxine).  This is the best I have felt in years.  
Thanks for taking the time to relate all that.  You have really been through it.  Glad to hear that things have improved so much.  I am curious as to what your thyroid test results look like now, along with their reference ranges.  Also, since many hypothyroid patients are low in other areas as well, have you been tested for Vitamin A, D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel?
My daughter was 14 when she had real bad periods, so I put her on the pill. She was doing fine except started having headaches, so they switched, now she became very ill. She had her tsh checked it was 4.2 or 4.5. I read being on the pill can raise your TSH, so I had her get off the pill. Thyroid level dropped,but it wasn't until she started kelp for 2 weeks, started iodized salt and having seaweed that her thyroid level is now normal. She didn't have hashimoto, so she was missing iodine  in her body.Sometimes are body is trying to tell us something is missing. I did this on my own, but check with your doctor to see what he recommends.Now she just makes sure she has iodized salt or seaweed at least every other day.
I'm so glad I found this forum. I am 33 years old and found a lump on my thyroid 3 months ago. I have always had a hard time losing weight as well as gaining weight by just looking at food but I have gained over 20 pounds in less than 3 months. I went to see my Dr. At the beginning of June to find out that I had sluggish reflexes and my TSH level was 8.4. I had an ultrasound mid June where they found multiple nodules with the largest at 3.4 cm as well I had a FNA done in July but have not received results yet. I have been feeling like crap and completely out of it the past few months. Just the other day I felt drugged and confused to the point that i'm not really sure what went on at work. I have been forgetting everything and have been unable to concentrate on my work. I do work out have been overheating to the point that I just want to lay down and go to sleep despite ensuring that I drink a lot of water. Some days I can function but feel I have to fake feeling ok when I am truly miserable. I have just started my 4th full period since July 11th.
Does anyone else have these symptoms???

Help!!!
Yes your symptoms are very common for someone who is low thyroid.

You may want to start a new thread as you'll likely get  more responses on it than one with almost 300 reply on a 3 year old thread.

On the new thread if you could post all your lab results.  I hope you had more than just TSH.  If not you should go back to your Dr and demand the Free T4 and Free T3 tests.  These test for the two ACTUAL hormones your body uses.

Are you on any thyroid medication, if so also state what and the dosage you are taking.  These will all aid us in providing advice.
The unique post is for patient introductions and should be a consistant reference if needed. I'd like to keep the archived post live and open to all new members as a source of meeting.

Although, to new members, while posting here is very appreciated, if you have specific questions on your thyroid concerns, please post on the community as often as you would like to. Members will comment there for support more than looking here.

Thanks! Wishing you all Wellness and looking forward to more stories here!
This discussion grp is very infomative
I have Hashimotos thyroiditis dx 3 yrs ago
I knew I was hypo but antibodies checked much later. I believe the throid was a major contributor to brain fog, feeling jittery, hypersensitve emotionaly, anxious 4 mo. after birth of my 2nd son. Four to 5 mo later, could cry for no reason and very indecisive. Working full time & struggling to think. I left a vm to someone and they pointed out how slow i was speaking. I was embarrassed
(continued)
I went to a therapist to discuss how I was feeling. Im a nurse but didnt think to go to my pcp ( nor did my therapist!) to rule out any medical condition-!- she thought i had PMS & suggested an antidepressant but didnt refer me to a psychiatrist (!). I got so stressed and hopeless. I started thinking irrationally & quit my job for something not even in my usual line of work & crashed & burned. Then really severe depression.
(continued)
I felt hyper during the job change idea - some later told me I'd been miserable and could not believe I was so wound up ovrr minor things
can u spell mood swings? never like this before. Ive read where Hashi's can cause mania-like symptoms -- I cant help but feel thyroid probwas a major contributor. Anyone else have symptoms like this?
Also, to all physicians - when you prescribe "routine" labs, Pleeeze include full thyroid screening ( not just tsh) !!!! anyone with psych symptoms should be tested for underlying medical conditions. I believe the lack of testing and no psychiatrist both led me to become so much worse. Drs: please dont give women the brush-off as if pms is all it is. Men would get a full physical workup! Lastly, never get psych meds from anyone but a psychiatrist, and dont nake any major decisions when you are not feeling yourself (hypo/hyper) !!!
Lots of good people and info here. Welcome....

Create your own post on the message board and you 'll recieve good feedback.
I remember when this post was created ...........I agree with stella5349

Lots of good people and info here. Welcome!

C~
hi since 2001 i had my thyroid on and off inflame...it was noticed when i got pregnant...they took an ultrasound and there was a small nodule...after i had my son the swelling went away & i tried to forget about it...on and off through the years i could tell when it was swollen...2008 ask doc to take another ultrasound well the small nodule seemed to disappear & a new one popped up on the other side...recently in the past 3 months of 2013 i have been extremely fatigued,T3 low, LDL spiked, vitamin D went low, my feet are numb & i mean i sleep like 15 hours out of the day (maybe a couple days i stay awake all day long)...also, i am pre diabetic...went to endo today & he said i dont look tired and he doesnt feel any nodules my TSH is normal so therefore i dont have hypothyroid...very frustrated did you start out like this with certain things out of range...my sister has graves disease, heart disease & she was being told her hyperthyroid was allergy lol wow & i heard thyroid problems can cause all of those things...what do you know about this stuff....appreciate a response if you have the time...ty
Welcome to the forum.

I've already responded on your thread.
yes hello barb, did you receive my response back to your comment? ty for responding...i am not use to navigating around on this site YET...ty again.
Here's where I responded.  Do you have another thread posted that I haven't seen?

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/Can-this-be-the-start-of-a-low-thyroid/show/1925210#post_8989685
Viewing 201-292 comments: