Who are you with THYROID???
As a refresher for members and an invitation to ALL -

How did you come to the thyroid board here at Med Help?  Let us know what conditions you have and what you went through so far.

Do you have a parathyroid disorder? Do you - or did you - have cancer and have had your thyroid removed? Are you autoimmune and struggling?

So many - visit here and a thread like this is so important to know what's up.

We as Leaders and members would like to know what has brought you to this board so we and others can direct you to the best resources available.

Thanks and Happy Health!

NikkiP/Stella
hey - if you don't keep feeling better on the synthroid, give armour thyroid a shot.  most docs won't offer it but it's a wonderful med.  also - read the book Stop The Thyroid Madness for a lot of great information compiled from many patients with hypo.  i've also been hypo for 2 years and after 2 yrs of synthroid not helping i'm trying the armour now.  good luck!!!
Hi.  I'm new to this site.  I was diagnosed a few days ago with hypothyroidism.  I never had this before.  I'm a 37 year old female.  My TSH level is 7.5.  From the posts I hear it can go way above that.  That's crazy.  Because I feel horrible.  I think I had this thing for the past 2 years.  My lips look horrible.  I can't wear lipstick because they're always peeling.  My skin feels like a man's skin.  I gained 8 lbs last month alone.  I am so tired and cold all of the time.  I used to go to the gym 4 days/week and I can't even catch my breath walking up the stairs in my house.  I'm taking 50mcg of Levothyroxine for the next 6 weeks before my next blood test.  I hope to dear God I start feeling like myself again.  I'm so out of shape and my eyes are always puffy.  Please tell me I'll start to feel some relief soon.  My doctor is so busy she just gave me results and practically pushed me out with a prescription.
Brand new here.  I am 44 yo.  Married female.  Have 2 young sons.  From NW Georgia.  Now living in East Tennessee.  Found site by googling thyroid topics.

When I look up, I can see and feel an enlarged area at the base of my neck, just left and center, about the size of a ping pong ball.  A recent MRI of my neck showed 2 herniated discs *and* incidentally what I was told looked like a cyst in my thyroid.  That nurse recommended I tell my family practice physician that I needed an ultrasound.  Ultrasound was done.  Received a phone call from the nurse today stating that I have multiple thyroid nodules.  Was told I should have a 2nd ultrasound in 6 months.  My thyroid levels have been tested several times before, and findings have always been normal.

So now I'm worried.  I'm always fatigued and sleepy, and I've gained a great deal of weight.  Contradicting that, I have always had a very fast heart rate, my normal temperature is usually 99 to 99.8 degrees F, and I have episodes of profuse sweating with no known reason.   I feel like a hypochondriac, since nothing is ever actually 'wrong' when I visit the doctor.  I do have high blood pressure now, but no medications seem to work.  I was told I was also Type 2 diabetic and took medication for 4 years.  Just retested, and my blood glucose levels were actually normal, and they have remained within normal limits with no diabetes medication at all.  I feel much older than my age, I have general diffuse pain and stiffness all over, I have no energy, no endurance, and am often short of breath for no good reason.  

Feeling crazy at times.  And I DON'T want to wait 6 months for my next thyroid ultrasound!

Thanks for listening!
MAC
Found multi-nodular goiter in 2005 and nothing but uptake and scan was done.  Now?  It is a bit larger but not causing me any problems as far as I know.  Had a biopsy *FNA done in Apr2010 - inconclusive. So I am on Iodoral 50 -100 mg and companion supplements:  selenium, vit c, magnesium and Vit B complex. I also do the celtic sea salt water drinks to help get the bromides and fluoride out of my system.
   I must say this is the best I have felt in a long time.  I began the iodine last summer.  My recent bloods:  TSH, 3RD GENERATION -.47 mIU/L (ref range > or = 20 Years 0.40=4.50), T4, Free 1.3 (0.8=1.8 ng/dL ref range)  T3, Total 117   (76-181 ng/dL RefRange)   Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies   <10   (<35 IU/mL ref range)
  Thyroglobulin   38.1   H   (2.20-35.0 ng/mL ref range)  Ok. it's just a little high there.

I take alot of supplements but I alternate the days.  Some days I take zinc others I dont.  I do always take a probiotic and should get a good enzyme as well.  I am also using milk thistle to help my liver get rid of the bad stuff.  Vit D3 4,000IU.  Some Vit E.  

I try to eat unprocessed organic foods and drink clean water.  I am somewhat gluten free.  I am 55 and on NO meds for anything.  I am eating garlic/ginger sandwiches for the heat along with cayenne pepper caps and capsaicin nose sprays.  I miss junk food a little.  I have not eaten fast food in a very, long time.  Or restaurant, carry out, etc.  
  I love Kefir with FOS and greek yogurt.  My cheese is goat cheese for salads, pizza, and things like that.  For wine it's red and made with organic grapes.  
   I really feel I have increased energy and need to begin yoga and mini  trampoline to help my adrenals and lymph system (I dry brush my skin).  
  I have a history of melanoma, basal cell, and squamous so I began a series of mild superficial chemical peels on my face and will be doing some tea tree oil on other skin to get rid of pre cancerous lesions *HOPE!
  I am married and have a daughter who is Hashimoto's/hypothyroid/pcos and gluten sensitive.  We have three doggies and I am fostering one more.  
   My husband also was recently diagnosed as hypo.  Is it in our house?  (I am also trying to stop some aerial pesticide spraying of our neighborhood to slow a moth that eats trees.  I feel bad for the trees but this pesticide is harmful to those with immune problems and lung issues (I also have nodules there, too).

:)
To rehabmac: I know just how you feel. Sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac because it seems like something is always wrong. I hate to tell my family and freinds because I dont want it to come off as complaining all the time. People just don't know what we go through and that is why I am so happy I found this site.

I am 26yrs old and I had a TT in 2001 when I was just 16. I am still trying to get myself together. I got married in May 2009 and my husband and I want children and right now it is just not happening and my fear is that I will not be able to have them. I have gained soo much weight over the years and am at the point where I will do ANYTHING to lose it. Alot of the times I feel depressed, don't want to leave my house and I dont want to be around friends and sometimes not even family. Let me just say that on a good day.. I can be a social butterfly because I love to laugh, be happy, and I can be the life of the party. But when this thyroid is of control it seems to drain the life right out of me.
The weird thing is I know a woman who had a TT and does not have to take synthroid and she is fine. So I asked my doctor about it and she took me off synthroid for about 6 weeks and I was miserable. I just started them back this week and I can already tell the difference. She said my results were all over the place and just looking at them made her exhausted.
We are all going through very similar things and if I can be of any help to anyone let me know. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to be able to talk freely about what we are going through without people judging us and thinking we are lazy.
My recent lab reports says below and my family Doctor says she never saw this type of results and advised me to see a specialist. Please let me know if you have any guidence to go further. I feel tired and suffering from back pain.

TSH 3RD GENERATION w/reflex to FT4 -----> 0.04 L
T4(THYROXINE),TOTAL                        -----> 4.3   L
FREE T4 INDEX (T7)                            ------>1.5  
T4, FREE                                            ------>1.2
T3, TOTAL                                          -------->86
T3 UPTAKE                                        -------->35

Thanks for your help.
Tods
I have been sick for a long time. my doctor just told me i have Hyper , Maybe graves disease . i am going to specialist in april 12. I cant sleep the simptoms are bad .  I am hoping to see a light at the end off all this stress .
Hi iam trying to use the program, i am not sure if i am posting the info in the correct place. Thank you for all.

tsh.03/normal range is .35-5.50
ft4 1.3
thyroid stimulating immunoglob is 6.0 tsi index /normal range is less than or equal to 1.3
      I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos in February after going to have my back checked. In 1999 I herniated three disk in my lower back had disk trimmed off unfortunately it caused nerve damage. Two years later two of the original ones herniated again but not bad enough for surgery. I now have neuropathy and scar tissue on my spinal cord. In February I went to dr for severe pain in back and found out about the scar tissue and during a routine blood test that I have Hashimotos.

My original test showed my TSH at 5.44. I was put on a low dose of synthyroid and my levels are fine for now. TSH 0.39 T4 12.7 and T3 88.1. I am still having problems with fatigue, hair thinning and memory/concentration but hopefully that will all get better. I found this forum while searching for info on the thyroid disorders because my doctor basically told me I had it as he was leaving the room ! Everyone I have talked to on here is very nice and helpful with any questions I ask no matter how stupid they sounded lol. If anyone wants to add me as a friend go ahead since I am new I only have a couple of friends but am interested in how others deal on a day to day basis with thyroid disorders. My main goal is to keep on top of things and go from there. As a side note many of my symptoms are the same with my thyroid and back, so I think I have had problems with the thyroid for about three years now but thought it was from my back.  
Hey everyone =)
It's been a year since i last posted but now i feel the need more then ever to communicate... I was diagnosed with MTC in April 2008. I had a TT on April 8th 2008 and after surgery is when the oncologist determined i had MTC and it had spread to my lung tissue and liver.
Radioactive iodine was no longer a option so in December 2008 i had a hepatic oblation and in May 2009 i had Radiation Beam Therapy for the tumors on my lungs.
Now a year later i have 6 tumors in the liver region.... Yup they're back.... This whole week i've laid in bed for days at a time and i've been real anti-social. Sadly 7 months ago me and my girlfriend broke up. I feel bad that it happened but altho i blame myself it's hard to grasp what i'm left with because of this condition.
I've always been a social bug and positive but now i really start to see the effects... After over 10 years of DJing once to twice a week around the US i've lost my drive and tonight i was booked to play in Downtown SD and i just didn't go.
Just getting motivated to go feed my cichlids downstairs is a task. It's very hard for me to even talk on the phone. I'm not in alot of pain but why the past few months i've kinda gave up on really taking care of myself  is bugging me out.
I noticed that i get this "temper" out of no where and i always catch myself taking it out on the people around me.... It's tough because i was never the one to voice concern and i always acted like things were ok. I've even lied to my close friends that my oncologist said i was gonna long term be ok and there's no need for concern...
After being misunderstood in my relationship i kinda feel the need to reach out a little bit. I don't know if anybody has ever felt like this but i sometimes felt pressured to do activities even if i didn't feel good... The main thing i noticed myself doing was just sneaking into my room for a quick nap...
I always felt that after my surgery my girlfriend would be insecure about the way i acted. I always worked hard and did what i could but after being told i was "disgusting" for sleeping in or for taking afternoon naps it kinda got to me.
Music was my release and i felt like while in the studio my girlfriend would get upset and slowly stopped supporting my love for music. I released my first track that was 1/2 done in my hospital bed in 2008 and since then i've released over 20 more all charting top 100 international dance charts. I would of never motivated myself to work so hard if it woes not for this cancer.
I sometimes feel like a horrible person because things didn't work out and maybe i could of done otherwise. Maybe what's bugging me the most is wondering if i am this bad person like i am made to be???
Ughhhh, I dunno what i just ranted about but i'm gonna press return without over reading.....

I am a 34 yr old single mother of three and recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  I have been treated for Hypothyroidism for about 10 years untill my GP felt "nodules" and referred me to an Endocrinologist.  I struggle with fatigue, weight gain, focus problems, etc.  I have gained significant weight the last 3 years or so and I am worried that I will NOT be able to lose without a frustrating struggle...  :(   I am very discouraged and maybe a little depressed.  Hope to get some good tips, encouragement, and a brighter outlook.
I found this site because I was looking for a support forum relating to thyroid cancer.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago with Hashimotos and nodules shortly thereafter.  Unlike many others, I have had wonderful experiences with my doctors.  My diagnosis occurred very early before I had any significant symptoms.  I had changed gynecologists and because I had weight issues and an irregular menstrual cycle, he tested my TSH levels.  They were elevated so he referred me to an endocrinologist, whom I saw one week later.

Initially, the endo didn't think I had a problem, because I wasn't experiencing many hypothyroid symptoms.....although I was overweight, it was not a recent unexplained weight gain.  But as soon as he felt my neck, he said, "Well maybe you do have a thyroid problem."  

So he ordered more blood tests and that week my TSH levels were normal, but I had the Hashi antibodies.  I have always been grateful for the timing...had I visited the gyno one week later, my TSH levels would have been normal and my thyroid disease would have remained undetected!  I was very lucky.

For the last 12 years, my hashis has been well managed on Synthroid.  Every so often, I could feel myself getting fatigued easily and know that it was time for a medication adjustment...I learned to be very in tune with my own rhythms, so I could get the treatment I needed.  I've worked with 3 different endos (changed only due to moves) and have loved each of them and found them all very knowledgeable and receptive.  I did my homework, before choosing any of them!  For me, treatment has involved doctor's visits with sonograms about every 6 months and more biopsies than I care to remember.

Most recently, one of my nodules showed calcifications on sonogram.  So my doctor wanted it biopsied, even though it was very small....again I am grateful.  When the results came back with atypia cells, he told me that it was only a 10% chance of it being cancerous, but neither of us were comfortable leaving it in.  I decided to have my thyroid removed and found a surgeon who specializes in this kind of surgery (very important).  He was amazing...great credentials, experience and caring.  A few days after surgery, we found out that the pathologist found papillary carcinoma that was completely contained in the thyroid.

Now, we are in the process of deciding if RAI is the next step.  My understanding from speaking with my doctors, is that there is no evidence that RAI lowers the incidence of recurrence in tumors as small as mine was.  Nevertheless, RAI would eliminate any remaining thyroid tissue around the parathyroids and make the diagnostic tests for recurrence more accurate.  It would also allow them to do a full body scan and confirm that the cancer did not leave the thyroid.  If my thyroglobulin levels drop to 0, I won't do RAI, but it's probable that the RAI will be necessary to get it there.  So we'll give it a month and do blood tests before making a decision.

As for how I feel, I'm very hypothyroid at the moment (TSH of 24)...so I'm tired and achy.  But they've just upped my medication and I hope to feel better soon.

cj
hey my TSH  level is 8.15 can u tell how much risky is that please??i have irregular periods
Hi...

Found this site yesterday after a tt just over a week ago...  multinodular goitre, diagnosed about 13 years ago... finally found someone who would listen to me after all those years of stress and going through blood tests and CT scans or ultrasounds, being told it was all in my head and I needed to see a psychologist because I was concerned when my father died from Thyroid Cancer 15 years ago, my brother had a TT in 1988 and my mother and her sister both have Hashimoto's... hello gotta be something there.

Today I am struggling but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere and I am hoping that someone here will help me find it.

Thanks guys
TT - NSW - Australia
Hi there, greetings from Norwich, England, this is my first post.  

1.  I found this site while browsing for info on levothyroxine side effects.

2.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 12 years ago when I was 48 and undergoing investigation of very heavy menstruation.  I also have mild asthma and vitiligo (an autoimmune skin condition causing loss of pigment).  My mother also had the same three conditions (she lived to 92 btw!).  There's also a history of autoimmune disorders on my father's side (type 1 diabetes).  This is a shot in the dark, but both my parents had Rh negative blood groups (as do I and my sister, she has type 1).  Is there any known connection between Rh factor (or lack of it) and autoimmune disorders?

I take 100mcg levothyroxine and have annual blood tests.  For several years I've been experiencing heat intolerance, palpitations and feelings of anxiety/panic, plus difficulty sleeping (any more than 5 hours is a bonus).  I put this down to the menopause and have been taking a natural remedy which helps a bit, but at age nearly 60 I wonder if I'm having levothyroxine side effects?  

3.  As I'm new to the site I can't comment on how helpful it is, but it's good to make contact with other people worldwide who share similar issues.

4.  Successes . . . watch this space!
had thyroid cancer and therefore had my thyroid removed. I gained 40 lbs. in six weeks---yes 40, and have continiued to gain even though I am up to 200mg's daily. I have moaned and groaned to my 3 doctors, esp. my endocrinologist. I have also been plagued by memory loss and lack of concentration, I was tired all the too---a severe lack of energy, I hadn't slept properly at night in just as long. I'd wake up and jump straight out of bed in the middle of the night from cramping--legs, back, hands, feet, everywhere. I was irritable, severely depressed, and had panic attacks. I was in a fog constantly. I thought I all of a sudden developed allergies---to everything---all year round.   WELL, I ran out of levothyroxine and did not have the money to buy it, so I of course could not take it. It has been almost a month, and let me tell you, my "allergies" have completely gone away---I can breathe again!   I have more energy than I have had since I had my thyroid removed, The past two weeks I haven't even considered a nap. I feel and think sharply and clearly--like I used to. I have been feeling emotionally better as well-----ALOT better. I am not putting on weight, in fact the opposite, and am going to get a scale to prove it. I fell truly as though I have literally come out of a fog!  At this point I do not have health insurance so I will not be going to my doctors. But when I am able to, it will not be the same ones that I have been complaining to for the past 5 years. I really think I am allergic to this stuff, and my quality of life was not up to par while taking it. I will say that I did take Synthroid when I had insurance and it seemed to work better, so maybe that would be an alternative (if you have health ins cause it is really expensive). I don't know, but I do know I will not be taking Levothyroxine ever again.
Hey Im 21 and was diagnosed with Hashimotos and graves disease... got a total thyroidectomy on the 1st of april and to be honest... I feel worse!! Ive now been left with hypocalcemia and bad anxiety and I hate it... Ive also had a lot of problems with my drs... I feel there useless arses!!! So yeah this site has defo been a blessing =) Its good to talk to other folk who have had similar experiences x
Im really confussed here. I thought when you have hyperthyroid your tsh is high, but im reading about people with low tsh and having hyperthyroid. can someone please explain all this to me.. I just had all the blood work today tsh t3 t4 and other hormones as well. I had a hida scan done on june 3 in which they put radioactive dye in me to look at my gallbladder and every since I have not been well. Every night my face feels feverish, my eyes have the surprised look, i have lost 2 lbs and im already skinny i have a lump in my neck where thyroid is and it hurts it hurts to swollow sneeze yawn cough look up im totally feeling crazy my resting heart rate wont go below 90 in which my normal was 58-65 im totally strssing over thise, my tsh test will be done tomorrow, they have to send out the t3 and t4 we are a small hospital. but yet i also get cold and then hot. help..
I'm glad to hear success stories. Just remember, that if your endocrinologist is not listening to you, you always have the option for a second page.  I would recommend that you lookup who is your local thyroidologist, they are endocrinologist's who deal strictly with thyroid disorders.  Currently it's a small group of them, but they are very knowledge.

I currently sell Ultrasound supplies online, however, I also distribute ultrasound systems.  I can tell you that I've met alot of endocrinologist's, but if I ever had a thyroid disorder, I would go running to a thyroidologist.

Their website is http://www.thyroidologists.com/....  I hope this helps all of you.
Hi all,

I am also kind of new here to this community. My hypothyroid was diagnosed  in April this year. Although I was gaining weight since beginning of this year. Finally, in April, I went to the doctor and told her that I find something wrong with my body as suddenly I am gaining weight and despite of my efforts, I am not able to stop this weird thing.

My TSH and FT3 were normal but FT4 was low (0.83). I had started medicine and changed my lifestyle a bit but low calories food (to the extend I could, not much) and 10-20 mins walk (which is the max I can spend on myself).

After 2 months, I had my tests done. I have lost 5 KGs and my FT4 has gone up to 1.24. Now, my thyroid is normal but doctor suggested me to continue with medicines for at least another 2 years. Then we will see. I just keep track of my weight for now.

I wish to continue lose weight. I have to lose another 10 KGs to get into shape. Just wish me best of luck for that.

I wish all of you get well soon and continue to remain healthy.
I remember having fatigue real bad for a while, at the same time I was having extreme anxiety.

My thyroid was one of the several, "1st" things that was tested. My endocrinologist that I was referred to said: "no way do I have a thyroid problem that's causing me any discomfort. I thought I had low testosterone prob's I thought too. Wow! the doc was SOOO against any sort of testosterone replacement. My levels were taken about 4 or 5 times and they were all around 190,....maybe the high was 230? This is JUST above the bottom range for hypogonadism for males. I was in my early 30's too....pretty young.

I said heck w/ these Dr.'s and paid out-of-pocket (expensive tho.) for a guy more open-minded. He did blood-work that was AMAZINGLY detailed. They filled about 20-30 tubes of blood when I went to the lab.

He saw my testosterone was STILL low AGAIN....started me on transdermal therapy. It helped.

He also ordered an additional test for a western blot analysis for Lyme bacteria anntibodies. There was a list of about 15-20 of them (Ab's) for unique antigenic determinants that were only found on Lyme bacteria (Borrelia Bergdoferri). I was positive for several of them. The test was considered positive if you tested positive for at least 4 or 5 of particular Ab's....some were more definitive than others. However, I was officially positive after tresting negative for Lyme Dz on urine and PCR-based blood tests thru my PCP.

So I was started on "Ceftin"...kind of a medim-to-high dose for a month. -WOW! I really felt it! I got SOOO sick. I developed a 2ndary erythema migrans (bulls-eye rash) on my arm, my joints in my hands and knees among others swelled and became sore as ******!
My fatigue went thru the roof! I had to go out to the car and lay down in the back seat during work. I'd do this for as long as possible, several x's/day. The fatigue was like "CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME". WHen I reported my problem, he said that many physicians believe that CFS is actually Lyme Dz, undiagnosed. ALso diseases like MS, ALS, and others were actually unexplained Lyme.

A well respected Dr., un-froze some brain samples of patients that died from ALS (Lou Gherig's Dz sp?). Amazingly something like 8 out of 10 of the frozen brains tested positive for Lyme bacteria Ab's. I think he may have even isolated the bacteria itself in many of the cases. It's VERY evasive and hard to find I guess.

Then, I was switched to a combination of 3 antibiotics the next month and I got even worse. My joints got WAY worse.....my face even swelled up. He called it a Jarsch-herxheimer reaction from killing off too many bacteria at once-they release endo and exotoxins when they die offf. After a few months, the reaction got less and less severe. But the characterisitics changed depending on the antibiotic combo I took.

I know I wasnt allergic to any antibiotics either.....from childhood and very young adult experiences with many types of antibiotics.

Today, I feel SOO much better, but not perfect. So, Im thinking my high TSH levels and thyroid AB's may be messing something up w/ my health.

I feel like it could be a repercussion of the lyme dz. Nerve damage which has been verified by nerve conductance tests may have afffected my endocrine balance as well as the Ab's?

I'd love to try balancing my thyroid levels and see if that helps further.

j
Hi my name is jesseka and im 24 years old. i was born without a thyroid and since i was born i always have to have my blood drawn and take pills every single day. I cant take it any more its so annoying but i do it for my kids. I am always tired, bruise easily,and my hair falls out like crazy, am i alone? Im pretty sure im not.
hello and thankyou all for being so informative!!!...i was dianosed 11mths ago hypothyroid was put on synthyroid and almost 3wks ago was taken off due to my tsh being very suppressed now the dr says hyperthyroid..i have a multinodular goiter and struggle each day with being overly tired,achy muscles with weakness also pain sometimes severe in my jaw and neck..i am learning a great deal from this site ..THANKYOU...JUST..THANKYOU ALL....................b
I'm one of the rare men who have hypothyroid. My level up to February of this year fluctuated at an elevated level of 5.5 to 4.5 or so in February. Then a recent test showed I had 7.5. My only symptoms were stubborn cholesterol level around 200 and no matter how healthy I ate I could not bring it down,  my fatigue (lack of energy), lack of motivation, maybe a dark cloud over my head most of the time, and digestion issues that come and go. But hypothyroidism runs on my mom's side. I'm 52. I feel fortunate that I'm now on thyroid medicine.

I'm knocking on wood since I had only four doses of levothyroxine. I have not read one positive thing about that drug. I'm taking 50 mcg per day. But right away my digestion went back to normal. My IBS has disappeared. I hope that is a long term thing. On my fourth day of this I did not get the fatigued feeling in the afternoon.

I am thin, and have been thin all my adult life except in the late 90s for two years or so (girlfriend was a great cook). I have been an exercise fanatic spanning five decades (teenager through current). And I ate healthy generally. I have waged a very impressive battle against my elevated TSH and my symptoms.

But I want energy and less fatigue. I want to lower my cholesterol. So I am open to taking this medicine.

Ironically when I googled IBS and levothyroxine, I had a lot of hits. Most people started suffering IBS after starting levothyroxine. I immediately feel the opposite. A Mayo clinic site says that I should feel more energy in two weeks and gradually drop cholesterol.

I will see.

One of my sisters started taking levothyroxine a few months ago. Her hair started falling out, but the situation has stabilized.

For now, I am intrigued by the thought of being able to eat more red meat (I am on low dosage of high blood pressure medicine, quinapril, and eat an extremely high fresh vegetable diet - low goitrogens, and eat mostly salmon and very low sodium tuna). I will check in from time to time. Hopefully I will have good news in a few weeks - more energy, lower cholesterol.
Hi,and I am new to this forum.
   Lately I have been extremely tired ALL the time.I can get a decent nights sleep,get up in the morning and 4 hours later Im ready to go back to bed .I wake up every morning with a dull headache that usually lasts the good portion of the day.I just dont feel like myself anymore.I complained to my dr about the fatigue and got a hepatitis c diagnose.Could I also have a thyroid problem?What tests do I need to confirm something like this????cindy
To: More Awareness Needed
I love this sight so far.  I can relate to most of the stories here.  I'm always looking for things I can do that are "outside the box" to help improve how I feel  Its hard to understand why GP's don't notice the signs of hypothryroidism more often and refer to endocr.  It took several doctors to find that my underactive thyroid was at the root of all my health issues.  It brings me to tears when I realize how many years I spent suffering and miserable - always hearing there was nothing wrong.  We all have to be pro-active about our health and keep pushing until somebody listens when we say "I know my body and I don't feel right".  Been on prescrp for 4 years now and changed doctors because I still have symptoms.  Tested for TPO antibodies for the first time and now confirmed with Hashimotos.  I was interested in suggestions on diet and nutrition that may help.

Thanks for reading.
I have had thyroid diease for 17 years and know nothing about it i just go in and do the blood tests and take the medicine but lately i feel so hormonal my tests keep coming up abnormal and had a piturary test done was high had mri done no tumor but i have breast milk ( i am not  able to get pregnant my tubes are tied ) so when there was no tumor my doc said nothing then the last time i got tested abnormal again but this time low (wouldnt that indicate hyper well im far from that i have no energy depression fatigue  fat hair loss bladder infections all the time and more ... the first one said tsh was 22.120(abn:h) and she did not change my dose it is at .175mcg now i did again and it is 0.037(abn:L) so another doctor put me on .137 mcgs now iam doin another one and i will see tuesday but i dont have insurance so i go to a sliding scale clinic i get insurance in june i just wanted to know am I doing something why would it change back and forth i just wanted to see if anyone knew anything i cant belive i just started learning bout this thanks
This is a very old thread and many of the persons who commented on it, no longer participate in the forum.

In order for us to help you better, why not start a new thread of your own, and post your lab results, with the reference ranges, since those vary from lab to lab and must come from your own report. We can then help assess your situation and offer suggestions.

To start a new thread, click on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page, type your question, then click the green "Post a Comment button just below your post.

Sounds like you are having hypo symptoms.

i have just read your,letter to the forum+i am also new to this site and so pleased that i did because i have also been diagnosed with hyperparathyroiddism because had a blood test that showed i have a high calcium count, i have had a blood test,  and now have to wait 2weeks for the result, i really dont want to have the operation to resolve this complaint but would rather see if medication will help, hope that you find the right treatmet that will help you.!!
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in December of last year. I don't think I really noticed any syptoms other than the hot flashes and my legs hurting but I just put that off to menopause and fibromyalgia.
I had RAI in March and still have to take medicine for hyperthyroidism.

I found this forum by searching for information about Graves and weather or not I would still have it after the hyperthyroid was taken care of.
Hi there, artfemme here.

I came across this forum while researching hypothyroidism and my various symptoms online after getting little medical help. I had every worsening symptom of hypothyroidism, yet my TSH was in the lower level of the normal range, so I was told that I must have some other medical problem or problems to explain all my symptoms and in addition probably needed psychiatric help. My hair fell out in bags and I gained 40 lbs without eating any more that usual. The outer edges of my eyebrows were missing but I was told I was "just getting older." In addition, my endo, a middle aged woman in not-very-good-shape, told me that anyone would kill for curly hair like mine. She said this while thumbing through a magazine as I enumerated my worsening symptoms, which started to include disorientation, depression, and panic attacks.

This made me very angry and finally after a year of continued complaining, during which I DID go to a shrink who did not help me, my endocrinologist deigned to feel my neck and discovered that my thyroid was enlarged. I was sent for an ultrasound, which showed nodules, and put on a small amount of Synthroid.....not because I "needed it", but simply to try to keep the nodules from growing. I was never given FREE T tests, only TSH and total levels. The fact that my TSH had gone from it's usual .89 to double that was considered inconsequential.

I ended up hospitalized after a panic attack that lasted for 4 days. That's when I decided to fire my endo, do my own research, and ask my primary to prescribe T3 in addition to T4, which helped immediately but could easily have not....I was just guessing, which is a pretty unsafe feeling. Thank goodness it worked and cleared my head enough that I could do my research and find this forum. (I also lost 15 lbs. in 3 weeks.....obvious myxedema, which I was also told I did not have. I have gained it back in 3 weeks when my T3 is lowered)

I have spent 6 years trying to recover my health and am only just now on a dose of 2 thyroid hormones that brings my FREE T4 and FREE T3 into the middle and upper levels of the Bell Curves and reduces my symptoms. I have been through 5 endocrinologists and used my extensive scientific research, printed out and taken to my primary doctor, to get her to help me deal with what is an obvious conversion or tissue resistance problem when endocrinologists would not. Finally, she believes me....as all my CBC and metabolic panels and blood pressure have normalized as well with the only change being thyroid hormones.

Through all of this, I could not have been as strong, informed, or persistent without the help of the members of this forum. Just knowing that others have the same symptoms and have gone through similar struggles with not only their health but also with their doctors has given me great solace.....in addition, I have received invaluable support from the members in learning how to read my labs and in how to evaluate them as well as tips on scientific articles and other sources of information that have helped me enormously and saved me research time.

I absolutely feel that Med Help has helped save my life. I continue to post questions, and do my best to give back by sharing what I have learned with others.
I am new here and ran across your post. I also beleive Levo is dangerous. Can you give me an update to your health? I have Graves and TED terrible. Had Rai131 in 2009 and its been hell ever since. On 100 mcg of levo and still hyper. Please reply.thanks
I was diagnosed with Papillary (thyroid) cancer when I was 18. They had to remove my entire thyroid and they had me take different medications until they set on levoxyl. I was not the best with keeping track of my medication and often would miss dosages. It became at bit out of hand with my irresponsibility that my TSH levels increased dramatically. I even had my endo tell me that I could take a whole weeks worth of pills at the start of the week however,  he end the converststion with he "wouldn't recommend it." Needless to say I've been doubling up on my pills if I miss taking a dosage due to my memory or insurance companies which has manage to bring my levels down. Can this be dangerous to my health  in the long run?
I just turned 60 on July 3rd.  I grew up competing athletically with 5 brothers (so that I would not be called a sissy).  As a child I grew erratically, lost clumps of hair but always competed successfully.  I never expected my 60th to find me like my mother.  She always said she just wasn't a "sport".  She took me to the dr as a child and asked why I was so hard.  She had so little muscle, she did not recognize it!  Because I was not growing in height (no growth from age 3 to 8) they looked at thyroid.  l seems that I was always on the low side of normal.  I started growing at record pace when I was 8 and stopped at age 13, at exactly 5 feet tall in spite of coming from a tall family.

In 2005 I was rebuilding my house after a hurricane and holding my own with the much younger men doing construction work.

In 2006 I realized I had grown 2 inches since 1985 (from age 33 to age 52). I was having jaw and ear pain.  One brother had just recovered from a pituitary tumor. I started seeing a local pcp.  The first thing I told him was that I thought I needed to see an endo.  He ran some blood work and found that my TSH was high and T4 was low.  He put me on levothyroxin and periodically retested.  He adjusted the dose once.  In all the years since, I feel that I have gone downhill. I lost all the hair on my arms and legs, my stamina was gone, my skin was dying, my hair was dry.

I was diagnosed with RA in 2007.  My blood pressure went totally out of control in 2009 despite 5 different bp meds.  My arms developed purple spots that would begin with and itch and end with blotches of broken capillaries for no apparent reason. I was functional 3 or 4 days a week while the rest of the time was spent recovering from a day of activity.

I was put on medication for ADD, Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety disorder as well as the meds for RA.

A few months ago I switched doctors because my skin was dying over large areas of broken capillaries.  On the first visit he diagnosed enlarged thyroid with palpable nodules.  He sent me for an immediate ultrasound and referred me to an endocrinologist. The ultrasound and minimal, but new, labs confirmed another immune disorder, Hashimoto's He warned me that the endo was not very talkative but he was smart.

Last week those two doctors actually talked about me.  They switched me to Armour at a very low dose.  Within 3 days I started to feel like what I used to think of as normal.  I have a better appetite than I have had for years but lost 2 pounds in 3 days?!?

I am scheduled to have complete labs run 5 weeks after starting the Armour.  I am scheduled to have another ultrasound and probably fine needle biopsy in November.  In the meantime my blood pressure seems to have normalized on 2 medications.

What do I think?  I think I have at least 1 (of 3) thyroid nodule that dumps hormone into my system in a batch which is adequate to give me hyperthyroid symptoms, such as high blood pressure and palpitations.  I think my body does not convert T4 to T3 normally leaving many of my cells in hypothyroid state. I think the T4 has ramped up my heart. I think the unconverted T4 is passing through my bloodstream unused all while showing normal levels on TSH and T4.

All of the research I have done does not answer the question "What is the function of T1 and T2?"  

It is kind of funny that it took an old, old-school physician to say that if nature creates it, we probably need it, even if we do not know why.  I AM curious but most of all I am just happy to have hope that I may make a real comeback.

Funny story...I showed my cardiologist my bicep (flexed).  He asked if I had been working out.  I said no, this is what is left after two years of being afraid my heart would explode.  Now I am looking for a good, cheap treadmill or elliptical so I can work on getting the rest of my life back from the comfort of my air conditioned living room.

People can have both hypo and hyper symptoms.  I can not stand heat and never have a problem with cold.
I never took the old Armour but the new one is my replacement for Levothyroxin.  This is the best I have felt in years.  
Thanks for taking the time to relate all that.  You have really been through it.  Glad to hear that things have improved so much.  I am curious as to what your thyroid test results look like now, along with their reference ranges.  Also, since many hypothyroid patients are low in other areas as well, have you been tested for Vitamin A, D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel?
My daughter was 14 when she had real bad periods, so I put her on the pill. She was doing fine except started having headaches, so they switched, now she became very ill. She had her tsh checked it was 4.2 or 4.5. I read being on the pill can raise your TSH, so I had her get off the pill. Thyroid level dropped,but it wasn't until she started kelp for 2 weeks, started iodized salt and having seaweed that her thyroid level is now normal. She didn't have hashimoto, so she was missing iodine  in her body.Sometimes are body is trying to tell us something is missing. I did this on my own, but check with your doctor to see what he recommends.Now she just makes sure she has iodized salt or seaweed at least every other day.
I'm so glad I found this forum. I am 33 years old and found a lump on my thyroid 3 months ago. I have always had a hard time losing weight as well as gaining weight by just looking at food but I have gained over 20 pounds in less than 3 months. I went to see my Dr. At the beginning of June to find out that I had sluggish reflexes and my TSH level was 8.4. I had an ultrasound mid June where they found multiple nodules with the largest at 3.4 cm as well I had a FNA done in July but have not received results yet. I have been feeling like crap and completely out of it the past few months. Just the other day I felt drugged and confused to the point that i'm not really sure what went on at work. I have been forgetting everything and have been unable to concentrate on my work. I do work out have been overheating to the point that I just want to lay down and go to sleep despite ensuring that I drink a lot of water. Some days I can function but feel I have to fake feeling ok when I am truly miserable. I have just started my 4th full period since July 11th.
Does anyone else have these symptoms???

Help!!!
Yes your symptoms are very common for someone who is low thyroid.

You may want to start a new thread as you'll likely get  more responses on it than one with almost 300 reply on a 3 year old thread.

On the new thread if you could post all your lab results.  I hope you had more than just TSH.  If not you should go back to your Dr and demand the Free T4 and Free T3 tests.  These test for the two ACTUAL hormones your body uses.

Are you on any thyroid medication, if so also state what and the dosage you are taking.  These will all aid us in providing advice.
The unique post is for patient introductions and should be a consistant reference if needed. I'd like to keep the archived post live and open to all new members as a source of meeting.

Although, to new members, while posting here is very appreciated, if you have specific questions on your thyroid concerns, please post on the community as often as you would like to. Members will comment there for support more than looking here.

Thanks! Wishing you all Wellness and looking forward to more stories here!
This discussion grp is very infomative
I have Hashimotos thyroiditis dx 3 yrs ago
I knew I was hypo but antibodies checked much later. I believe the throid was a major contributor to brain fog, feeling jittery, hypersensitve emotionaly, anxious 4 mo. after birth of my 2nd son. Four to 5 mo later, could cry for no reason and very indecisive. Working full time & struggling to think. I left a vm to someone and they pointed out how slow i was speaking. I was embarrassed
(continued)
I went to a therapist to discuss how I was feeling. Im a nurse but didnt think to go to my pcp ( nor did my therapist!) to rule out any medical condition-!- she thought i had PMS & suggested an antidepressant but didnt refer me to a psychiatrist (!). I got so stressed and hopeless. I started thinking irrationally & quit my job for something not even in my usual line of work & crashed & burned. Then really severe depression.
(continued)
I felt hyper during the job change idea - some later told me I'd been miserable and could not believe I was so wound up ovrr minor things
can u spell mood swings? never like this before. Ive read where Hashi's can cause mania-like symptoms -- I cant help but feel thyroid probwas a major contributor. Anyone else have symptoms like this?
Also, to all physicians - when you prescribe "routine" labs, Pleeeze include full thyroid screening ( not just tsh) !!!! anyone with psych symptoms should be tested for underlying medical conditions. I believe the lack of testing and no psychiatrist both led me to become so much worse. Drs: please dont give women the brush-off as if pms is all it is. Men would get a full physical workup! Lastly, never get psych meds from anyone but a psychiatrist, and dont nake any major decisions when you are not feeling yourself (hypo/hyper) !!!
Lots of good people and info here. Welcome....

Create your own post on the message board and you 'll recieve good feedback.
I remember when this post was created ...........I agree with stella5349

Lots of good people and info here. Welcome!

C~
hi since 2001 i had my thyroid on and off inflame...it was noticed when i got pregnant...they took an ultrasound and there was a small nodule...after i had my son the swelling went away & i tried to forget about it...on and off through the years i could tell when it was swollen...2008 ask doc to take another ultrasound well the small nodule seemed to disappear & a new one popped up on the other side...recently in the past 3 months of 2013 i have been extremely fatigued,T3 low, LDL spiked, vitamin D went low, my feet are numb & i mean i sleep like 15 hours out of the day (maybe a couple days i stay awake all day long)...also, i am pre diabetic...went to endo today & he said i dont look tired and he doesnt feel any nodules my TSH is normal so therefore i dont have hypothyroid...very frustrated did you start out like this with certain things out of range...my sister has graves disease, heart disease & she was being told her hyperthyroid was allergy lol wow & i heard thyroid problems can cause all of those things...what do you know about this stuff....appreciate a response if you have the time...ty
Welcome to the forum.

I've already responded on your thread.
yes hello barb, did you receive my response back to your comment? ty for responding...i am not use to navigating around on this site YET...ty again.
Here's where I responded.  Do you have another thread posted that I haven't seen?

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/Can-this-be-the-start-of-a-low-thyroid/show/1925210#post_8989685