Why does TSH jump from normal to 22 in 5 months
I am 60 and my thyroid replacement has been steadily decreased over the past 4 years, from 176 mcg (where it had been for decades) down to 88 mcg.  In February my TSH was 2.24.  I also take a simple antidepressant, which I've taken for years without symptoms of depression.  In July, my mood plummeted and I voluntarily went into the hospital.  At that time my TSH was found to be 22.  Assuming that I took my thyroid replacement daily (I did), why would my TSH jump so high in such a short period of time?
TSH is very volatile and fluctuates greatly, even within the course of a day.  It should never be used, alone, to diagnose or treat a thyroid condition.  TSH is very often not indicative of actual thyroid hormone levels.  

You need to be tested for the actual hormones, which are Free T3 and Free T4.  

T4 is considered a "storage hormone", because the body can't use it directly; it must be converted to T3, which is the hormone actually used by the individual cells.  Of the T4 and T3 in our bodies, some of each will be bound by protein and will be unusable.  The remainder (not bound by protein) is what's available for conversion or use by the cells.

Free T3 is the hormone that correlates best with symptoms, while TSH and Free T4 do not.

Low thyroid hormones can contribute to mood swings, depression and/or anxiety.  

Dosage changes should never be made, based solely on TSH.  You should get Free T3 and Free T4 tested every time you have a TSH test.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?