Thyroid Disorders Community
Why does hypothyroidism cause voice changes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Over the past ten years, my voice has progressively gotten deeper and more "husky" sounding and tends to crack a lot. I don't smoke and so I generally explained this away as scarring from acid reflux, though I haven't had it severely for many years. So I was quite surprised to learn this was a symptom of hypothyroidism.

Does anyone know why it can cause this? My thyroid isn't visibly enlarged or anything.
My thyroid is enlarged, but I do not see the enlargement in the mirror.  So, it's possible to have some swelling without visible enlargement.  Often the enlarged thyroid or a nodule(s) presses on the laryngeal nerve (to the voice box) causing these changes.  

I still have a deep voice, but since my meds have been adjusted properly, it's much better.  

Also, you voice does deepen naturally as you age...double whammy.
The hormonal changes during hypothyroidsm cause  vocal folds to be thicker then normal this lowers the frequency they vibrating during the voice production. The result is deeper voice (loss of high tones).
However, if solid nodule develops near the voice nerve and presses on it it may cause partial paresis (inablity to move) of the one of the vocal folds. this causes skipping voice (comes and goes).
Finally if nodule is large enough, it adds mass to the voice box cauing voice distortion , reverberation, squeaks (like  my college professor, who have had large benign nodule that students called "madam's apple")
First two condition are diagnosed by using videostroboscopy.
Well does it cause you to talk low to people but it sounds loud in your head? Or is that just between my ears as they say.LOL    Seriously people have always told me that I speak real low and they can't hear me but it sounds to me like I am speaking in a normal voice.
Can't for sure answer that but sometimes inner ear channels can cause that perception.
also large goiter that causes trachea compression causes weak voice
Thanks!
What needs to be done to get your normal voice back do you know?

Do you have a thyroid disease or dysfunction?

If you are being treated for thyroid, voice changes should reverse as your thyroid levels normalize.

Please post any recent thyroid labs you have and include reference ranges because they vary lab to lab.

Are you taking thyroid meds?  If so, what is your dose?

Do you have other thyroid symptoms?