Thyroid Disorders Community
Why does my thyroid hate chocolate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Why does my thyroid hate chocolate?

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself today. I'm obviously hypo and just down and depressed. It started when I made chocolate chip cookies. I used a gluten free flour because I've figured by trial and error that my digestive system really hates gluten.

The cookies were gross, which was very depressing.

Still, I tried to eat them, because, darnit I want chocolate chip cookies!

Within a few minutes my thyroid swelled.

Why does it do this whenever I eat chocolate? Even when I make a special soy-free chocolate?

This doesn't happen with coffee.

As if Hashi can't take enough enjoyment out of my life, it had to take chocolate, too.

Life is just so depressing right now.

:) Tamra
I am so sorry you are having such a bad day. I haven't noticed food's effects on my thyroid, just stress or as the day goes on. I will start watching for other signs. What about drinking hot chocolate?

Hope you have a better day :)   Cathy
I hate anything gluten free, lol that's why the cookies taste horrible, i know we should be eating gluten free to help us, but i just haven t come at it yet..Why chocolate makes you ill and the thyroid swell i dont know, But i now have this prob with Alcohol even after one glass...strange:((
I so understand your pain! I'm trying to go wheat, dairy and sugar free to see if it helps any of my horrible thyroid/chronic fatigue/who-the-hell-knows-what symptoms. But I crave, crave CRAVE sugar.

I know it's bad for me, I'm desperate to be healthy, but **** it, I'm an addict. Why is it so hard to resist the pull to indulge in these foods that only make us suffer? I need to go to a detox facility to overcome my addiction. I'm serious here.

I'm with you, girl. It's miserable!

Okay, so I tried some Kozy Shack chocolate pudding that is supposed to promote digestive health. I ate one last night, since my stomach/thyroid hurt anyway, and I was DESPERATE for chocolate.

I don't know if it was a coincidence, but my stomach felt better. My thyroid was about the same. This is a little good news. But a woman CAN'T live on pudding. We NEED brownies and home-baked cookies, and Betty Crocker's new mixes have soy. :(

Thanks, all, for listening to me whine. I try to always be positive on this forum, but I'm a Hashi, and I'm not perfect. The realization dawned on me yesterday that life without my favorite foods is going to suck!

Yesterday was a big pity party at my house!

I bought some Namaste Blondie brownies from Harvest Health Foods. I'll probably make them next week, and I will let you know how they turn out.

:) Tamra  
Lucky for me I am NOT a chocolate lover, never have been. I may eat chocolate about once every six months.

My body is weird anyway, I can't eat eggs, milk, or ice cream, and probably for the last year I have noticed I can not eat breads like I used to.

I am supposed to NOT eat carbs or sugar anyway. (Hypoglycemic-or so they say)..
Oh my!  If thyroids can hate chocolate, I have finally found a good reason to rejoice in getting mine removed!!!!!!  (other than removing the cancer of course!)  I think if I'd kept it and it hated chocolate, I'd have shot it!

Have a blessed day!