Thyroid Disorders Community
Why won't my Ft3 and 4 levels rise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Why won't my Ft3 and 4 levels rise?

After years of strict dieting and exercise I was diagnosed Hasimoto Thyroiditis 3 years ago. I was given thyroid medication and immediately after years felt much better. My Ft3 and 4 levles were much higher but always within the norm. After 6 months the levels dropped drastically and my endo raised the amount of medication. Since then aprat from last year where mysteriously my levels rose to plummet a few months later,these levels have never risen infact the endo increased by medication to the point where the TSh levels became suppressed . My new endo had me tested for central hypothyroidism. She has lowered my medication and told me that I have to bring my TSH level up to norm. I have been on this dosage for 4 months without results. Infact since I have started I have put on 4 kgs and have all my original symptoms. Question : What is it that is stopping those levels from rising. I have noticed that when my levels rise my symptoms mysteriously dissapear. Thankyou!
There could be a number of reasons. Do you happen to have the actual numbers?

Your showing an FT3 test being done - so that along with seeing the T4 ( hoping that is a Free test too) would need to be looking at.

Read up on the vitamins and minerals that are involved with production of hormones and conversion of hormones and delivery of hormones.

There are several. Get tested for deficiencies.
Vitamin D, magnesium, selenium, zinc, copper, potassium, and probably others.

There is a reason you are not metabolizing the medication properly. You are lacking something and it is interfering with initial absorbtion of the medication, from the sound of it.

Another thought.

Are you taking the thyroid med first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? Waiting at least an hour before eating? Coffee seems to affect absorbtion to a degree. High fibre breakfast also affects absorbtion. Taking Calcium needs to be spaced at least four hours away from your thyroid med. Any vitamins, supplement, or meds need to be spaced at least four hours away from your thyroid med unless it is a medication that MUST be taken sooner. Any other morning meds need to wait that hour just like food.

Are you doing your best to follow that sort of routine?
Thanks very much if you could shed some light... My levels at the moment are

TSH    0.61   min 0.25   max 5,60

Ft 4    9.62    min 7,5    max 21.5

Ft 3    3.10    min 2,47  max 9.25

My endo has now lowered my medication to get my TSH level in the norm which it has now done so. Fact is my Ft 3 and 4 levels remain the same or lower whatever therapy I try, higher thyroid med. dosages, vitamins etc makes no difference only supresses thyroid. But since I felt great for the first few months and for a few months last year ( my ft 4 and 3 levels were higher : Example

TSH 0.01        min 0,25   max 5,60

Ft4  15.6        min 7.5     max  21,5

Ft3   6.00       min 2,47   max 9.23   Thanks Again!
Thank you!  I really think you are right? But what is it? At the moment my endo has prescribed B12 which is seemingly very important for good thyroid function plus folic acid which I've been on for 3 months..nothing. I have been checked out for many vitamins but I guess I'll bring these questions up at my next visit. Really thanks again!