Thyroid Disorders Community
Will Dental CT Increase Risk of Thyroid Cancer Reoccurance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My dentist has ordered a CT to check the bones before the tooth planting procedure. I had thyrold cancer and had a surgery to remove my right lope of thyroid about 6 months ago. My understanding is that radiation is one of the main cause of thyroid cancer, so I am wondering whether the radiation from the CT ordered by my dentist will increase the risk of thyroid cancer reoccurance. Can anyone help? Thanks
Here's what ATA concludes regarding the use of dental ex-rays and CT scans:  "Although the thyroid doses associated with dental x-rays have not been shown to cause thyroid cancer, it is prudent to reduce thyroidal radiation exposure as much as possible without compromising the clinical goals of dental examinations. The ATA thus endorses the recommendations of NCRP 145. However, the ATA also urges a reconsideration of the less stringent requirement for thyroid shielding in adults as compared to children. Adult risk for radiation-induce thyroid cancer may be less, but still merits efforts to reduce it, given that the use of shielding is safe and readily available. The ATA also recommends that efforts be made to encourage and monitor compliance with the ADA and NCRP guidelines and to reduce, as much as possible, the areas of ambiguity in them."

You can read the whole statement via the following link:  
http://www.thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/statements/ABS1223_policy_statement.pdf

You have the right to ask for a thyroid shield and are entitled to a good explanation if one is refused.

If your dental implants are to be done on top, a shield should not interfere at all.  Bottom implants may present special problems.