Thyroid Disorders Community
Will Goiter cause salivary gland and lymph nodes to enlarge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have a goiter-both sides of my thyroid have nodules-benign-I have lost a lot of weight-18 lbs in last 3 months because I have difficulty swallowing. My tsh was barely there and my T-4 was low. If they eventually get my goiter shrunken are these low levels going to cause me to fatten back up-I have always been a tad overweight and this is the first time since I was in my 20's that I have ben at a regular BMI. I do not want to gain the weight back-yet I would really like to be able to swallow my food without it hanging up and causing pain. My salivary glands are also swollen-and I have some lymph nodes in my neck that are swollen, too. My primary care provider is a P.A. and he said that sometimes th enlarged Thyroid can cause the swollen lymph nodes and salivary glands. It is April before I can get into an Endo.
I mat not have HealthCare Insurance by then because my husband is getting laid-off from his job and I was laid-off in October-we have 2 children and can't afford the COBRA Plan. Does it sound to you like the Thyroid is causing all of this? or, should I try to find a new PCP ASAP?
Thank You!
Michelle

This discussion is related to Shrinking my Goiter.
I think you should get the glands looked at by an ENT
I had my submandibular gland, two calcified lymph nodes that were piggy backing on it and a calcified ligament removed back in Oct.08. The submandibular gland was chronically infected with sialdenditis (sp). I had my thyroid removed 15 yrs ago because I had graves/hyper/goiter. I did not have any problems with the salivary glands back then, just in the last yr.

All I can say is that it was very painful. It would hurt everytime I ate, it does not get any better on its own. Please go see an ENT.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Typically, a goiter has to be very large for it to cause swallowing problems. Although, there are exceptions, such as in a case where a small cluster of nodules wraps around the esophagus. Having an inflamed thyroid gland due to any reason can cause your lymph nodes to swell, but not typically your salivary glands to swell (unless you are dehydrated or have salivary autoimmune conditions).

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure that your swallowing problem is from the goiter is to remove it.

In North America, goiters don't shrink appreciably with thyroid medications since we aren't generally iodine deficient.

There are a number of other reasons for swallowing difficulty with enlarged glands. These issues should be check for as well. One very common condition is throat reflux. If you're eating late, this is the first thing to stop doing. Leave about 3-4 hours after dinner before your go to bed.

http://www.doctorstevenpark.com

Thank You so Much for answering my question!
I was told that the Goiter=which I have had so many explainations as to what a Goiter actually is that I am now way confused=is causing the swallowing problem and that it does need to come out! I have until the end of the month to get sme RELIEF so I can eat like a human again because I will lose my Health Care Benefits-Husband is in Automotive Industry and getting laid-off at on 27 February.Our Health Care stops then and there.
What type of MD should I be trying to get into-my Insurance is Open Access-no referral required by the Insurance-yet many MD's do require the referral!My PCP, the PA will refer me to whatever kind of MD that you yhink is best!
Honestly, Dr. Park-I just want relief from this ASAP and no one seems to understand-they know what it is and it needs to come out-Why all the tests? I am tired of having tests to re-confirm that it needs to come out. Here in East TN, it takes forever to get an Endo Appt., apparently lots of people have Thyroid issues in this area-I always use Iodized Salt and enjoy Seafood, so Iodine Deficiency should not be the problem.
Thank You So Much For Your Time!
Michelle
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You need to see a head and neck surgeon. They can be trained in either general surgery or ENT. You also need to see a good endo that will follow you to adjust your thyroid levels just after the procedure. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your husband's situation.
Thank You so Much for your Advice!
I will call my P.A. in the morning and get him to refer me to a Head and Neck Surgeon, Maybe with Luck and Pryers-I can get this started on before I no longer have HealthCare!
You are kind-Thanks for caring!!!!!
Michelle