Thyroid Disorders Community
Will Hyperthyroid go into remission?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Will Hyperthyroid go into remission?

What is the chances of Graves going into remission?  How long does it take?

surgery vs RAI?

Whats your take on it and has anyone had graves and did it go into remission How long ago?
My endo said that usually once Graves is active that it goes in a cycle and general peaks and will eventually come back down but can take up to 2 years.  as far as your hyperthyoid goes that is separate (even though technically they go hand in hand)  i was taking PTU for 11 months it started to work on me the first 5 months my numbers looked really  good then i started to get stressed out for a number of reasons and we couldn't get my numbers back under control so this past october i took the RAI.

my doctor said that a low iodine diet wouldn't affect my results bc i was lready taking medicine but i thinnk otherwise. i have heard mixed things and would suggest staying away from dairy, fish and caffeine while you are going through this
hope that helps!
How old are you?  I know it don't matter but I have noticed that graves and hyperthyroid happens mostly after 40.    

I Thought about the rai but would much rather have the surgery if only they take part of it.  

Taking medication cares me.  Liver damage and everything.  Is the  ptu safer than methimazole?

My doc didn't explain everything and will be getting a second opinion
I was diagnosed with Graves and Hyperthyroidism at 47 but traced it back to age 25.
Give yourself a year on anti-thyroid meds if you can......
1. To research all you can on Graves and hyper/hypo
2. To be 100% that you will not go into remission.

The higher the antibody count, the less chance of remission.
Did your Doc do the TSI test that determines Graves disease 100%?

I had RAI in June 2008 and TT Sept 2008 and havent looked back.
I sometimes go off the rails a fraction with levels due to a lot of stress the last year but feel 100% better than when I did before permanant treatment.

Dont be 'put off' by the so-called 'do-gooders' who put the fear of God into you about RAI.
I have a heart condition, 2 prolapsed valves in the heart, irregular heartbeat (bradycardia and tachycardia) 3 episodes of Atrial Fibrillations (Thyroid Storm) and am still here to write this post :o)
Take the year if your body will let you ...to research as much as you can, keep a journal of your symptoms and log down all your levels because eventually you will refer to that journal and know whether you are hypo or hyper.
I swear by it.
And if I ever had to have RAI again....I would have it in a heartbeat.
I was diagnose with Graves' at the beginning of this year. I'm 32, but I think I have had it for about 5 years!  My mom had it too when she was 30, but I never knew about it. I just knew that she was hypo now. She took RAi and is fine.  I took RAI  5 days ago and am feeling good. I received a large dose(30mCi)  because my uptake was so high the Dr thought it would come back again with a lower dose of RAI.  Most people seem to get a dose of (15-20 mCi). I think it depends on your test results and how bad the Graves' is.  If you have a lower uptake test you may be able to control it with medicine. Good Luck!
I had graves/hyper when I was 23. Did the RAI & still hit two thyroid storms. Eventually had to get TT.
I was diagnosed at 37 (36 with hashi's ...I am weird) with Graves.  Did Methimazole for three years thinking I would go into remission since my Grandma did after two years. My mom had graves and did RAI. I am three months post TT and feel great.  Wish I hadn't waited around for 'remission" (tried going off meds at year one, disaster then tried weaning year two...no good either) I used this forum and read a lot to make sure I was making the best decision for me.  Good luck!
when i first had my test without treatment

t3 total 503.2   normal range   80.0-200.0 ng/dl
t3 free 20.00  normal range   1.70-4.20 ng/dl
t4 15.3  normal range 4.6-12.0 ug/dl
t4 free  3.93  normal range   0.70-2.00 ng/nl

tsh 0.009  normal range 0.400-5.40

then 2 weeks later it went to 0.014

thyroglobulin ab   19  normal <115 iu.ml
thyroid peroxidase ab  268   normal range <35 iu/ml  

I am the only one in my family with this ever.  My great grandma on is 95 years old and has thyroid problems, her husband had thyroid problems and my great aunt has thyroid problems all are hypo they were in thier mid 40's.  Now my mom after she had one of her children she was hyper but then was fine without treatment.  I am hoping that I am!  I asked her to go and get the thyroid peroxidase to see is she has any.

From being on here Help md and talking to so many people are my thyroid peroxidase show possible  remission.  I know we all hope for this.  My other concern would be that If I want another baby if I go into remission that it will come back stronger than ever.  :(
I am no Doctor but really cant see remission with the antibody levels or the levels of your FT3 and FT4.But then again, I have been wrong in the past and am not perfect.
My antibodies were over 4000 so as you can see....were killing me especially with thyroid storms.
RAI and TT was best for me.......See how you go on ATDS and take it from there.
And yes, there is a high possibility of hyperthyroidism returning whilst pregnant which puts you at risk of premature labour.
Maybe you should talk more to your Doc and express these concerns.
Research all you can before you make a dicision.