Thyroid Disorders Community
Will I have to take meds. forever?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Will I have to take meds. forever?

I have hypothyroidism and am on .137 micrograms of Synthroid.  Level has gone up from origonal .25 micrograms over 5 years.  Will I have to take this medication for my thyroid forever.  If so Why is that?
It sounds like you will always have to take it.

The average person needs between 88mcg and 175mcg of Synthroid if they have no thyroid gland. At all.

So if you are taking 137mcg of Synthroid, you have very little thyroid function and it will not get better given your history.

Why is a question you need to ask your doctor. You probably have hashimoto's, but it could be a number of different things and one of them may be reversible.

Hypothyroidism is a condition, but it is not a diagnosis. When you get a diagnosis then you will know why.

Have you had antibody testing and a thyroid ultrasound?
Do you know what tests have been run and when you last had your hormone levels checked?

Oh, and, uh, Welcome!
:o)
Sorry for all the questions.