Thyroid Disorders Community
Worried about my ultrasound report.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Worried about my ultrasound report.

Hello
I need help with understanding my ultrasound report.

Findings: The thyroid gland is normal in size, configuration, with smooth marginal contour. The right lobe measures
4.5 x 1.3 x 1.8 cm, the left 4.5 x 1.5 x 1.6 cm, and the isthmus 0.40 cm in thickness. There is homogeneous echoegenicity throughout the gland, except for the presence of two hypoechoic nodules within the right thyroid lobe. Both nodules are solid and hypoechoic, with a nodule at the inferomedial aspect at the junction of the isthmus measuring 0.6 x 0.4 x 0.5 cm and on the inferolateral aspect measuring 0.5 x 0.2 x 0.3 cm. No left thyroid nodule or other abnormality identified. Normal vascularity to each lobe. No extrathyroidal mass or lymphadenopathy.

I would appreciate any response. Thanks in advance!
I'm not an expert at ultra sound reports, by any means, but I can tell you that your nodules are very small, so may, at this point, only need to be watched.

Solid nodules usually are the most worrisome, but FNA/biopsy is rarely done on nodules < 2 cm.  

There are some others on the forum who are much better at u/s reports than I am..... if they don't come along soon, I'll contact them.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's Thyroidits?  Nodules are very common with Hashi - I have quite a few......

Have you  been diagnosed with a thyroid condition?  If so, which one?  What, if any, symptoms do you have?
Thanks for your quick response :) I don't have Hashimoto's or thyroid condition as of right now. Still waiting for lab results. I had lab work in December 2011. All normal.

I had an MRI done of my neck for pain and it showed a mild heterogeneity in the appearance of the left lobe of my thyroid. My doctor schedule an ultrasound which showed nothing on the left but the nodules on the right. As of right now i don't have insurance so I'm trying to get as much help understanding this report to plan what i need to do next.

For Hashimoto I read the glands are swollen? but mine are normal size.
At the given moment the best strategy is to repeat the ultrasound in 6 months because no calcifications are present anywhere in the thyroid.
How about the taller than wide nodule,characteristic of malignancy and the fact its solid and hypoechoic?
Hashimoto's does cause swelling and inflammation; however, the thyroid gland doesn't necessarily "stay" swollen all the time.  You have to antibody tests to confirm/rule out Hashimoto's.  

There should be an "impression" at the end of the report, which would recommend future follow up or FNA, etc.  Does your report have that and if so, what does it say?

Many of us have nodules on our thyroid, that only require periodic u/s to watch them.
No there's no recommendation at all.