Thyroid Disorders Community
Worse in the morning?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Worse in the morning?

I have now read in two seperate books (the complete thyroid handbook and Dr. K's new book) that one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is that you feel worse or get headaches in the morning but feel better as the day goes on.  

I have this problem.  Does anyone else have this?  If the thyroid medication can stay in your system for up to 24 hours, then why would you feel worse in the morning?

Also for those of you with the ear ringing, does it get worse for you as you get tired?
hope you hear some answers.
Good point..i always wake up feeling crap..Have my meds then a few hours later start to loose the body aches and pains and hangover feeling..Mmm., be interesting what other feel ..
i take my meds at night so i wake up good but usually crash late afternoon. yes the ringing is worse when i feel bad. there is a post above yours asking about tinnitus...
It might have to do with insuficient sleep, (not the same as time slept).

Many 'thyroidians' do not sleep as soundly as healthy thyroid individuals. I'm talking about the separate phases of sleep, and of couse, most importantly, REM towards the end of the night.

Maybe those that take T4 before bed are inproving there sleep, thus feel well in the morning.

Note to all readers: Taking a T3 med before sleep is not advised, the active hormone can keep you awake and possibly result in night time heart palps.
Waking up and getting going in the morning is a lot more physially stressful than we might think.  It's one of the reasons that morning is the time when most heart attacks occur.  So, that added to the fact that we no longer have "on demand" hormone production may make us additionally slow in getting going for the day.

In addition, I have read that both TSH and FT3 are on a somewhat circadian rhythm, troughing and peaking, respectively, in the late morning (assuming, I believe, a "typical" pattern of sleeping and waking).  If your own thyroid is still producing some hormone, you might be getting the circadian "boost" from that.  Also, perhaps a boost from conversion being especially catalyzed at that time of day.  

T4 meds stay in your system for four to six weeks.  It's not a day-to-day thing, but rather reaching an appropriate level over time..  However, remember that no receptors have yet been identified for T4, so it has to be converted to T3 before your body can use it.  So, no matter what your T4 levels, the T3 level is all-important.  I have always found that my FT3 level "lags" my FT4 level as I'm increasing meds.  The conversion process may have to be re-stimulated after being hypo for some time.
I was on .015 the doctor increased me to .050.  I thought this was too much at once so I did .035 for four days.  Today I took a .050 and am shaking all over, cold, and have hit the restroom 4 times today.  Is this my body just shocked out over the bigger dose?  too much too soon?  Too much period?   Maybe I need to go back down to .035 for another week?

bruce
You will not feel better untill you are on a constant dose for at least 2 weeks. Bouncing around is not good. Going up slowly is better than up and down. Think of T4 med dose as the amount you take per week.

You need to ease into and blend the doses. Like maybe take the 50 twice a week with 35 the others, then the week after add one more day of 50.
i didn t know there was a 35 mcg pill of levo
I am thyroidless and i have alot of energy from the time i get up until early evening and then, the rest is history. My endo says the the Medication is suppose to make you "hyper" and it's best to take it in the morning and not at night.

When i first had the TT, i was very exhausted majority of each day, however, i do notice a difference being 4mos post and on 75mcg in which i am probably due for an increase because i lose my energy before bed time and also have other hypo symtoms (symptoms) as well.  
its not.  i have to break one in half.  i feel like im on diet pills today

remember if you break them that you may get the whole 75 in one half and filler only in the other half   can t be sure  always use the same halfs right after each other- i found that out first hand when i was breaking my t3, one night i got alot more than i thought and had a heart issue- that had never happened as bad before so i know i must have gotten too much
Really?  that little of a difference?

yes !  the t3 was 25 mcg -way too much for me so i split it in fours and that one night i was so hyper i was ready for the er.  it never happened before so i know thats what happened. now im on only 5 mcg and i still break them and take the biggest half only so i cannot get anymore than 5 mcg regardless of where the active ingrediant is in the pill. im so sensitve to t3 med just need very little but if i don t get any i can feel the difference.
btw bruce you know that i am referring to t3 med NOT levo right?  i think levo would be a little different because if you broke it into two and got more active ingredient on one and then took the other half the next day it wouldn t matter like t3. t4-levo is slow. t3-lio or cytomel is fast.just take the the other half of the same pill the next day.  sorry if i confused you..    
does anyone take anything to help them sleep?  I take ambien 10 mg.  sometimes start with a couple glasses of wine....  you?
???? for you...Before you started taking the Ambien...how long did you sleep during the nite??? I've noticed that i sleep alittle longer, however...it's about 3-4 hrs before i suddenly wake up and then it take time to fall back asleep......
I take my meds at 7am.  I am good some days for about 3 or 4 hours and then I am wiped out.  If I push myself, I usually crash from 4pm to 8pm, but it depends on the day.  Sometimes, I have to crash for 2 hours after I have been awake for 3 or 4 hours.  The ringing in my ears is worse when I am tired.  I will say that is a sign for me that I need to lay down.  Listen to your body.  I know when I "hit the wall", I feel like a wind up doll that has run out of steam.  That is the time I have to lay down.  Sometimes, I only need to lay down for a half hour.  Other times, I have to crash hard for longer.  

Does anyone have neck pain and a feeling of fullness in the neck with sore throat?  This symptom is driving me nuts.  Sometimes, I get knots in my neck and have to have them rubbed out.  I have only been on meds for 5 weeks.  I go tomorrow for another panel to see where I am.  I think I need more meds.  I can feel it.  My thyroid is "burning out" so I am not sure how long it will take to adjust since it is just know doing so.

Thanks.

Lisa
I was hypo due to RAI and TT nearly 2 years ago and remember the 'feeling' in the mornings.
I always called myself the 'thyroxin junkie' as I felt that once I had taken my T4 'hit' in the morning...an hour or so later...I would feel normal (yes I know that word doesnt exist in my vocabulary lol).
I would actually feel able to function.
On days when I went for bloods...I wouldnt get to take my T4 med until around 9am and by that time I actually thought I was a thyroxin junkie as I would get the "DT;s".
I would shake and feel cold, I would feel like crap and within an hour of taking that first dose in the morning would feel good.

I dont get that 'sensation' anymore and it means that I am on the right amount.
Obviously the T4 med will 'drop' overnight if taken early that morning and this explains the crappy feeling in the morning.

I too tried my T4 meds at night (for convenience) but went back to early morning dosing as I would feel hyper by 5am the next morning and totally drained by the afternoon.

Hope that helps :)
Thats spot on Deb:)
Yes im the same way.  I sleep about 3-4 hours, have to wake up and take more...  I always feel worse after taking my meds. Typically 4-5 hours after I go hyper.  I am convinced there is something else wrong with me that they are missing...  one day they will figure me out.

My friend was hypo and went to 3 endo's.  ON the 4th endo visit at MD anderson in Houston, they discovered she had LUPUS and that was the main cause of all her symptoms...
I guess that's how it goes as far as the sleeping pattern...also continue to look for answers and never settle for less. I know for a fact that my heart issues, Blood Sugar level issues and  "now" stomach issues have everything to do with my Thyroid Issue but i'm certain that there are some docs who will disagree.

That is interesting because i have a friend who was battling symptoms of thyroid issue and then some...and they tested her for lupus...i'm wondering if the two are connected in some way.

I posted a story about George Bush and Barbara Bush who both have Grave's Disease and their dog was diagnosed with Lupus...Interesting!
Hi there, I was on Levo for a while, and would get major shivers and feel cold for a few hours. My ears would ring like crazy. As the day went on, I would start to feel better.

Although I am still not 100%, I am on a dessicated along with adrenal supplements and the coldness after meds has gone away. I also used to feel really lethargic and bad after eating, and this has gone away also.

You may feel hyper after meds because of the adrenals.? I know I bring this up often, but do think there is a link.

The T4 has a long half life and builds up and is used as your body converts.
BTW.....Mornings are or can be TERRIBLE
The thyroid is a b@gger to regulate but you will get there.
Dont go swapping and changing the doses until you really know for sure what yr levels are.
There were times (and still is) where I am not sure if I am heading hyper or hypo ...then use my own judgement.
Take the dosing SLOW...too fast will make you hyper quick and then you are back to square one , starting all over again :(
Been there, done that.
Baby steps Bruce is the secret to success.
Hugs x
Im stopping my medicine.  All these Endos are clueless.  I have never felt worse in my life and it all started when I began LEVO.  Ringing in ears began 4 days after taking this stuff.  I cant take it anymore..

I don't think you have Lupus. I know you've had your ANA test and they've tested your kidneys and heart as well. You really sound symptomatic of someone with adrenal problems. Find the list of doctors I sent you. They will give you the 24 hour saliva test.

They might also recommend switching off of the synthetics. Some people just do much better on dessicated. Actually, many of us probably would do fine on synthetics, but  most endos won't prescribe it.

:) Tamra
Oops, I meant to say many of us would do well on natural hormone. That's what I get for typing faster than my brain is working.

:) Tamra
bruce  i feel your pain and i understand what you re saying about levo.  i have never in my life after natural childbirth and several surgeries had constipation- and i have been hypo untreated for years. fourty eight hrs after i took synthroid/levo i started having it. the dr and everyone said its the hypo. i was hypo for years since 95 untreated and never had it. i have had problems with it and depend on magnesium since i was diagnosed last august so yes i believe that the levo affects some of us and causes side effects that are inherent in the hypothyroid condition.  but, that said i know that if i go off of it i will get sicker and i am still in the process of finding my best levels so i am hoping that it will resolve once my levels become stable for enough time---hang in there. God bless
I didnt take my meds yesterday.  Felt beat down.  Took meds today, feel nauseas.  Its the medicine...  Its the LEVO that is making me nauseas.  SO what now?
i just called my dr. and she told me to try to take the meds with food for now.  anyone else tried this?
This is not ideal, since this will make absorption inconsistant. Not only with eating while taking meds, but also, what you eat.

If you think the Levo is making you sick, why are you taking it? Maybe try a different distributor, with different fillers? possibly a dessicated?

How long have you been on this levo or any thyroid meds? I think I remember you are new to this whole thing? You are going to have to be patient...it may take a while to feel decent again. If you find a quick fix, let me know, I need it too! :)

One more thing..if you have been on this for a while(Levo) maybe have your reverse T3 checked?

thanks
TH
my dr told me food or no food it doesn t matter just take it the same time every day-- who knows.  i started feeling a little better after a month on levo it doesn t happen fast. try and hang in give it more time. put the bandaids on sip ginger ale you will feel better it takes time. it took a long time for you to get this way..
I just realized that this is getting off topic so I posted new.  Im trying to find out why I always feel like dirt a couple hours after I take my meds.  
I definately feel very slow in the mornings and am often surprised to find by the end of the day that I feel quite chipper.
i get the same thing its feel hard to get going take meds sometimes achy muscles achy  feel still till i get going feel better a couple hours later.
I am curious to know if there are any people that have this same issue?  You need to take the thyroid hormone.  But after you take it, you feel horrible 30 minutes later and it lasts for the bulk of the day.  You feel like you have gone completely hyper but know that if you stop taking the thyroid, the results will be worse than if you take it.   Despite what doctors tell you,  there is an initial jolt of thyroid every single day.  Its like a scene out of groundhog day.  You keep waiting for your system to normalize, but it just aint happening.

Others take thyroid and do just fine.  However you take it, and it feels like you just took 5 dexitrim diet pills from 1984 when that was the craze.

I have normal bowel movements during the day, however after taking thyroid almost always results in a stomache attack.  Could it be that they dose is too high despite normalizing the thyroid levels?  

I am on .50, maybe the dose should be 37.5.  The scary part is i have read others who go through this for years, 5, 6, sometimes 10 years and never feel better.  However there are others who go through a TT and seem to get normalized very quickly  (10 weeks).  

Seems to be a lot of kookery and theories around everything but no clear cut truth.
I had the same feeling, but it was only after I had went hyper.  I took the meds just fine before that moment.
I tried taking at 3 am thiis morning.   I woke up to pee and thought I would take it.    I felt bad from 4 am till about 10 am
i feel worse in the morning when i wake up ..it's much better now. but  I still feel shaky  till i take the thyroid med. then about 20 min later feel fine. i think its due to being a little hyper. not sure.  been going on 2 years now. but was way worse at one time, i would wake up feeling like i was shocked into a heart attack. they would blame it on anxiety, but now i know it was the thyroid dose being off.
Kevin,  were you taking too much or too little?
too much right now. 2 weeks on a decrease.  not sure as to why it goes away after the dose?  ??  doctors say its like anxiety reving me up in my dreams  from too much of thyroid in me ?? who knows but it's not too bad now. but annoying.
i was feeling the worst ive ever felt ever.  Today out on a whim i decided to take .25 instead of .50.  It was the best day ive had in 3 months.  I actually didnt have that "too much caffiene" feeling all day.  Also,  I do notice that i flip back and forth from hypo to hyper during the day.  So one hour i can be hypo, and then a couple hours later i feel like im going to jump out of my skin.  It goes back and forth.  
I know this is weird,  but I swear I think I'm hypo in the morning and hyper at night
I was informed that it is common for Hypo's (or I like LM's tag "Thyroidians" ) , due to two issues, the enlargement of the tongue at the back and the enlargement of the thyroid, one or both cause a resticted airway, this in turn causes sleep apnia (apnea) (Also common with Hypo's) when you have this condition it causes you to wake during the night, breaking the deep sleep cycle, and lack of oxygen due to cessation of breathing during the night, I was informed by a sleep clinic, that I have this issue and during a sleep over at a clinic, that I stopped breathing for almost one minute while sleeping on my back (Which I do not do anymore) This can happen during the night many times and like Lazy Moose stated, breaks up your deep sleep and that is why you feel like crap in the AM. If you do a sleep study, and have this issue, MD's will prescribe a CPAP machine and it supplies a continous pressure during the night and you wake up refreshed, the only drawback for me was I could not sleep with the mask on. But many swear by it. Good Luck FTB4
woke up bad today. pounding heart, running,  racing, , out of a deep sleep.  hyper causes me to  wake up like this,  then it goes away in like 20 min. ??? take morning dose and off to work and i feel normal.  im wondering as the dos goes down will this go away. ?
Weird,   I get that morning stuff too but it comes and goes.   Hard to get out of bed as well.   Usually after a mouthful of coffee I'm better.  
today was ok
I want to try a drop of t3.   Do I take at same time as t4?