Thyroid Disorders Community
a huge increase in TSH levels in a short period of time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

in december of 2009 my TSH level came back at 5.23 and my doctor incresed my synthroid from 1.00 to 1.25. i had my levels retested in march 2010 and my TSH was at 13.94. what does this mean and should i be concerned?
It sounds as though you received your results via phone call instead of in the doctor's office, which is where you need to be as soon as possible because something clearly has gone wrong with your thyroid levels since the last change in dosage. You may need a full Thyroid panel taken (T3, T4, TSH) to see if you may need to be on more than one medication or on a different medication / dosage altogether. Don't wait too long to get back to your doctor because the longer your thyroid is under stress the worse these problems will get. Best of luck!
Get your Doc to check your Ft3 and FT4 levels...dont go by TSH alone/
It is the Free T3 and Free T4 that is used to dose the thyroid hormone.
12 weeks ago myTSH was 8 taking .100 levothyroxine six later  I was at 2 taking same dose.  tested one week ago TSH at 10 T4 normal and Endo says no need to test T3 for Post TT patient for Pap. Cancer.  My TSH went from 2 to 10 on the same dose of meds.  My dr increased me to .112 wich is low but she says we need to increase slowly.  Any suggestions, does this sound correct to anyone????
I always flinch when I hear a doctor say "We don't need to test for this", especially when there are unanswered questions on the table. For some reason, the TSH does seem to spike whenever a thyroid replacement drug's dosage is increased. It seemed that no sooner was I being treated for the first time for Hypothyroidism, my doctor and I started racing to keep up with the TSH levels as they began to rise. I don't know the science behind it, but it seems to happen fairly often. Your thyroid levels DO need to be stabilized, however, so don't abandon your doctor's advice to increase the dose just yet. She probably wants to increase slowly to allow the thyroid more time to adjust rather than shocking it with a big change right away, which could lead to another spike. I would get back to her, however, on the reasons why she feels that your T3 levels are unimportant because of your cancer. You can also Google your type of cancer alongside "thyroid levels" and see if there is more info you can find on your own that would help explain it.

Best of health! Stay well
It is important to ask for the FREE T's to be done and not the normal T's as those tests are outdated.
All the best :)