Thyroid Disorders Community
ablation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

ablation

I just had (hyperthyroidism) thyriod treatment- I 131K /29millicuries. I have been drinking lots and lots of water. I have gone to the the bathroom to urinate 5times and 1 bowel movement (sorry TMI, I Know). I want to know about how long it takes to flush this amount . I have been home alone for about 6hrs. when my husband and children ages 11 and 13 come home I will isolate myself. Am putting them at risk for not isolating myself now. I am using a bathroom for myself, I have used only disposable items. What else can I do and are they safe? I am scared that they may be exposed when tthey come home. Help!!
When I had treatment they said to flush the toilet 2-3 after going pee but I was using the same bathroom as other family members.

It's been a lot of years for me but if memory serves me right, I was also told to use the disposable silverware too.  And, not to hug anyone or let them get too close to me.  I had a baby at the time so they were more worried about me getting too close to her.  

I believe it was a total of 2 weeks that I had to be "quarantined".

Sounds like you are doing all you can and all should be fine.  Good Luck!!!

Thank you!!! I was told to stay 6 ft away from people and will sleep alone for 2nights... I can't believe how hard that has been, I don't think I could last 2weeks like you.Seems like it worked for you. And yup I've been flushing 3x.
Thanks again!!!