Thyroid Disorders Community
acid refluxs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

acid refluxs

can a underactive throid cause heartburn and acid refluxs
It seems to be common among thyroid sufferers, but not confirmed by MD's that I know of, but does happen to Hypo and Hyper Thyroids.                FTB4
I suffered with acid reflux and indigestion terribly.
i recently read that acid reflux or GERDs is a common symptom of parathyroid disease...might be worth a look at.
i have an underactive thyroid, i've been diagnosed for about 8 weeks and i have noticed that i get heart burn, the only other time i suffered with this was when i was pregnant!
I have Hashimoto's and I also have very bad acid reflux.  I never had this before.  And it started about a year or so after diagnosis.  I don't know if it's because my thryoid is getting worse or not.
I have an underactive thyroid and hashimotos. I had heartburn and reflux so bad, I got an endoscopy. I found out it was a hiatal hernia. Who knows if there is a connection or not???there is nothing you can do about it anyways, except Medicare. It definitely makes me more in tuned with the stomach issues.
That was supposed to be medicate, not Medicare. Darn I-phone
I used to have bad acid reflux. I also have hashimoto's. I take a probiotic which you can get either at a drug store or health food store. It puts good bacteria back into your system. It has helped me a lot. I never get reflux anymore except when I eat something really spicey. Hope this helps.
I have been thinking very seriously about starting a probiotic.  I wonder if that would help me.  I'd just be heartbroken if I could get off of my stomach pill.  One less pill to take.  That would be great.  : )
I don't know if there is an exact link, but I, too, have thyroid issues and GERD, but my GERD was not the painful kind, just excessive throat clearing and mucus.
Me too! I was recently dx with GERD and have had hypoT for a few years.  I didn't know it was GERD because it was mucous and not indegestion/heartburn... I kept getting bronchitis beause of it however now that I am on meds for GERD- I haven't had bronchitis...
Yes I too never had symptoms of gerd until After starting synthroid for hypo thyroid.  At first I thought I had an ulcer because of burning pain in stomach. After many tests and scopes I was diagnosed with gerd and LPR.  Which is the silent gerd that doesn't present typical ingestion symptoms but sore throat and constant drainage and clearing of throat. I have correlated it to synthroid but doctor hadn't heard of that before but it is amazing all the people that have posted the same symptoms too.
Add me to the list of similar complaints. I've been on thyroid meds for about 4 years and increasingly I have experienced Gerd symptoms.  Every day especially later in the day and evening I felt like I needed to belch but couldn't, to the point where I was almost throwing up and felt like  someone had hit me right below my breastbone. Went to a doctor 2 weeks ago and she prescribed Omeprazole to see if that would work before doing an endoscopy. None of my doctors ever mentioned a connection between Gerd & thyroid meds. I feel much better actually. Less belchy but still not 100%. Should I go off the Omeprazole?
This is an old thread, so I doubt you will get a response.  I can tell you that if you are still experiencing Gerd symptoms, I expect that you are still somewhat hypothyroid.  I know that when I got back into being hypo for a while, I had awful acid reflux.  As soon as I was able to get T3 meds again, and raised my Free T3 level, the reflux went away within a few days.  Also, I was previously taking 20 mg of Omeprazole twice a day and now I have cut to one dose.  I may be able to cut the other dose but am waiting for my next endoscopy.  

If you will please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report perhaps we can help interpret your status.  Also what thyroid med are you taking and what is daily dose?  Also, since hypo patients are frequently also too low in the range for Vitamin D. B12 and ferritin please post those, if done, along with ranges.