Aa
A
A
Close
acupuncture experiences?
hi everyone,

i've been about 2 weeks ago at my first acupuncture in order to try to shrink my rather big (but benign, goiterous) thyroid nodule - and it hurt quite a bit...

it wasn't at all what i expected (which is lots of small needles painlessly sticking out of just under my skin)... it was 2 larger needles stuck directly in the nodule, connected with an electric (?) current... i told the lady at the beginning that it hurts, she said that's ok... however, after about 10 minutes i couldn't take it more and called them to take the needles out... i've been unwell after for 12-18 hours, but back to normal since... but one of the needles left a small bruise which was visible for a week

was wondering if anyone had similar experience? is "2 needles with current"  a different type of acupuncture?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
649848 tn?1424570775
I've been reading about a relatively new practice called "electro-acupuncture", which is very similar to traditional acupuncture. It uses 2 needles as you describe, with the current being passed between the 2 needles.

Some bleeding/bruising is normal because needles can get stuck into tiny blood vessels.  

According to one site, it should not be used on a person's head or throat, or directly over the heart.  

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/electroacupuncture.php

I'm guessing the practitioner you saw did know exactly what she was doing.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1756321 tn?1377771734
There is traditional acupuncture and electro-acupuncture. Acupuncture is a painless treatment unless you visit an untrained or inexperienced acupuncturist.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1424570775
Blank