acupuncture experiences?
hi everyone,

i've been about 2 weeks ago at my first acupuncture in order to try to shrink my rather big (but benign, goiterous) thyroid nodule - and it hurt quite a bit...

it wasn't at all what i expected (which is lots of small needles painlessly sticking out of just under my skin)... it was 2 larger needles stuck directly in the nodule, connected with an electric (?) current... i told the lady at the beginning that it hurts, she said that's ok... however, after about 10 minutes i couldn't take it more and called them to take the needles out... i've been unwell after for 12-18 hours, but back to normal since... but one of the needles left a small bruise which was visible for a week

was wondering if anyone had similar experience? is "2 needles with current"  a different type of acupuncture?
I've been reading about a relatively new practice called "electro-acupuncture", which is very similar to traditional acupuncture. It uses 2 needles as you describe, with the current being passed between the 2 needles.

Some bleeding/bruising is normal because needles can get stuck into tiny blood vessels.  

According to one site, it should not be used on a person's head or throat, or directly over the heart.  

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/electroacupuncture.php

I'm guessing the practitioner you saw did know exactly what she was doing.
There is traditional acupuncture and electro-acupuncture. Acupuncture is a painless treatment unless you visit an untrained or inexperienced acupuncturist.