Thyroid Disorders Community
after taking RAI therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

after taking RAI therapy

No one ever told me to limit certain foods after taking the RAI, and I didn't.  Will this effect the outcome of my treatment.  Also, DO I NEED TO BE ON A RESTRICTED DIET FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE IN ORDER TO KEEP MY TSH LEVELwithin normal range?  I started taking synthyroid therapy 2 days after taking RAI as instructed via MD.  My dose is .15 mg.  My TSH LEVEL WAS 78 PRIOR TO BEING STARTED ON THE MED.  Is it normal to see results in my energy level so quick or is my body just so glad to have some thyroid replacement that my energy level has gone up?  My sleeping is another issue. Normally, I would sleep during the day(if I'm not at work) however, I want to go to sleep, but it seems as though I can't.  Is this normal?

Thanks for any replies!!!!!
I'm not sure on the RAI - others will stop by - WELCOME!  C~
If you aren't able to sleep, it is possible you have too much thyroid hormone in your body, and your dossage might have to be lowered.  

Did you have RAI for cancer or graves? I am not aware of foods you have to avoid.
I was told there were no diet restictions and so I ate like normal and so far the RAI has done its job.

I did notice if I ate a lot of seafood that I would feel wretched so I stopped/scaled back, that and really salty stuff.

With you beign hypo prior to RAI I assume it was for cancer and not graves. I just went 4 months with no thyroid replacement and the day I started it I felt better immediently. So yes you can feel the results of taking the synthroid this quickly.
I'm curious.. what is RAI if you don't mind me asking? Juli
Radio Active Iodine.  It's used to destroy the thyroid gland.
Aaah... got it! My sister years ago was given that for that very purpose.

I had RAI treatment and was never told to follow a strict diet.  I asked that question and was that there was no restrictions.

I have been on 100 mg syntrhoid since June and I have trouble sleeping, but I have always had trouble sleeping.  Not sure if its gotten worst or the same.  I just don't sleep well.
I still havent gained my energy level as of yet and i had RAI in Dec '07.

Take care
Terri
BTW-Welcome  to the forum

Terri
If you have RAI for cancer you do need to be on a low iodine diet (LID) prior to the treatment. If it is just to destroy your thyroid, I don't think you need any special diet.Good luck.
Trish
I had tons of issues sleeping while hypo-thryoid.  I've also had issues sleeping while hyper-thyroid from being over-medicated with cytomel.  The sleeplessness while hypo seems odd though as most research info just indicates that people with hypothyroidism are "tired" and lack energy.  Even though tired, most people do have issues sleeping.  Thyroid hormone is a weird pandora's box.  Although exhausted without it, sleep eludes us.  And then when finally asleep, you never want to wake up because it took you so long to get there.

As for the RAI, I agree with the above posters.  No special diet was mentioned by your docs because you must have been abolating your gland for hyperthyroidism.  If done for cancer, yes, you've probably not gotten the RAI's full benefits.  People who've had RAI for cancer don't need to follow any specific diet post RAI that I'm aware of, only LID (Low Iodine Diet) pre-RAI.

You also don't mention how much time has past since your RAI.  Yes you do feel the effects of the medication as soon as you start it, but it takes up to 6 weeks to fully kick in.  You may have sleeping issues for weeks yet.