Thyroid Disorders Community
alternative medicine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

alternative medicine

thank you for your suggestion :) During the growth of my goiter, my father intruded my son and I to alternative medicine by  michael kessler. My son and I tried for about 2 months and it made my son's condition worse and my goiter much bigger . My son tsh was very high and now has to take a  high dosage to control his thyroid. The alternative medicine he was taking was absorbing his thyroid medicine, it was if he was not taking any of his actual medicine.  It was my father's good intentions to make us better but it made us worse it may work on others but it was a good try. I am open to try other alternatives than what I have already tried. I feel the alternatve medicine that my son and I tried would work better on healthier people not on people that are sick and don't have enough time to try a long process alternative medicine. On monday I began my radioactive iodine treatment and I feel alot better then  I was feeling and it has been only 4 days. My only problem is not being able to see my son and my family but hopefully I made a great decision for my future.
I went to a website called ThyroidManager.com its where the doctors go not patience to get answers. I even heard of a procedure thats done in Europe that can be done here for nodules and goiters they use ethanol and inject that into nodules that destroys the cancer for me it was cancer without killing everything else no RAI. just wanted to tell I guess to late but you but you might find answers there. As far as alternatives I do know that you should stay away from kelp Iodoral is what alot of people use. Should take it aleast four hours after taking your thyroid medication. Also you can put medication under your tongue for absortion that was it goes right into your blood system bypassing your liver.  It maybe that you need Adrenal support I don't now your perdicament but I certainly think alternative is always worth a try.  I am truly sorry and I have been in your position my regret was not trying alternative treatment prior to surgery. This can make you angry it has me and each day I try to look at all the great and wonderful things we have and how lucky I am to be alive and getting better and all the wonderful people here and else where that try to give us sound advise.
Last year I experimented with Motherswort and lemon balm and they actually seemed to help (with hyper/Graves'). But, at the time I was still on the thyroid blocker and was afraid of tinkering too much and mixing the medicines. There are plenty of supplements and natural medicines for underactive, but not so much to do for hyper.

Also, I could swear eating a few almonds in the evening helped. It may have been my imaginiation.

Here I am, falling apart and clueless, but I'm trying to talk like I know something! I do have to wonder how the Mother and lemon balm would work for someone who isn't taking any other medication. But, for those naturals to be effective, the diet needs to be pretty balanced. Also, I was trying to consume extra protein at the time, something which may have helped more than anything. I'm not big on animal protein, but I swear it calms me down some when I can eat a lot of it.    
There are many tretments of alternative med as there is for conventional.

It's a choice.

I tradiontally followed conventional medicine until a year ago and then swung to alternative.

I have found a perfect balance with both now. I still see a medical MD in conventional medicine AND a bioidentical for alternative. I also see an acupuncturist and Chines med doctor.

Which ever it is - I have a total balance now. I feel so much better - but it took a long time to figure it all out.

Still learning though - WHo knows what tomorrow will bring?
Oh and on a cautious note:

There a BAD alternative doctors out there as well as regular conventional and specialists too.

You may have gotten a "bad apple"