antibody test results
Hi, My antibodies, test was anti-thyroglog.ab <20
antityroid microsomal ab<10

On paper it says normal range. Does anyone know if it is supposed to be on the higher end or the lower end for optimal results.

Thanks..........Peggy
Optimal is 0, or no antibodies at all.

Results of less than 20 for TgAb (antithyroglobulin antibodies) or less than 10 for TPO Ab (microsomal antibodies) are within acceptable ranges, as some people in the normal population can have small amounts of antibodies and not have thyroid diease. Different labs may have different ranges, mine has ranges of 0-40 for each.

Results greater than 20 for TgAb or 10 for TPO Ab (according to your lab's ranges) indicate a positive antibody response. The higher the number, the greater the antibody response and the stronger the attack is on the thyroid.

Thank you for that exellant explaination...that is what I love about this place. We get so much help and are able to help our fellow thyroid family~~~
I agree.
Just as an aside, the antibody levels apparently does not indicate the severity of the disease.
I just read "Thyroid for Dummies" and saw this written. I recommend the book. The MD author says the upper limit for the normal TSH should be 2.5.
Each person has an individual antibody response to the same disease.
For example, I had the Hepatitis B vaccine in 1987 because I work in the lab. In 2000, I began work on another lab and they wanted to test my Hepatitis antibody level. It was assumed I needed a booster shot b/c it had been so long since the initial vaccine.
Not so, my antibody levels were off the chart.
However, my TPOab are high at 422, but not sky high.
I think too much is made of the actual antibody level, as opposed to just looking at the fact that it is positive.
Great for me, then. I guess I don't have hashi's right?
A small number of people do have Hashi's without the antibodies.

Have you had a thyroid ultrasound? It will typically show a heterogeneous texture if you have Hashi's.
The results say homogenous. But it also said my thyroid is not enlarged and my dr says that is uncorrect. so that could be as well.

you know that ticked me off, to have to pay for that test, and then get wrong results.
My ultrasound shows heterogeneous texture.  What exactly Thanks!
*What exactly is heterogeneous texture mean?  Sorry for the typo.  First post!!
I don't know about that term. homo is same, hetero is different, so.....maybe it means the lobes are not the same.
That is a poor definition, you should probably google it...
Thanks.  I saw it in Kitty's post.  I think it means abnormal :(  
A homogenous texture means that the tissue is the same throughout, even and ordinary.

A heterogenous texture means some spots are firmer or less firm than the normal consistancy. Not as healthy as a homogenous textured organ.

Great news on the antibody tests peggy!

Lab ranges sure are strange though. I thought the range for TPOab was <40, and TGab was <30. Yours are <10 and <20. I guess the ranges vary. I wonder if the testing procedure is different?

Someone posted the other day with a TPOab of 15 and her test was marked high. I asked her if she meant 150 or if she knew the upper limit on the test because the upper limit was <40. Maybe I was wrong.
Funny b/c I had the antibody test done as well.  I was suspected of having Hashi's and mine too are normal at:TPOab <10  & Tab is <20