Thyroid Disorders Community
anxiety and synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

anxiety and synthroid

I was recently diagnosed with hypo with a TSH of 7.5, T3 T4 and anitbiodies are normal.  MD. called it
subclinical hypo. I was put on Synthroid 25 daily.   I have a history of anxiety disorder for years, up to know controlled by Lorazapam 1mg. daily.
I have been experiencing increase anxiety and insomina, two weeks after starting Synthroid.  the lorazapam is not working. I am going back for blood test on Wednesday to check my TSH after 6 weeks treatment.
I am having a hard time distinguising from anxiety or reaction to Synthroid. Anyone else have this situation?
I'm not sure if about the anxiety, but my daughter experienced insomnia after being on synthroid. She is just a baby, so I don't know if she was experiencing any pain with it, but I definitely know the insomnia was related to the meds because it immediately stopped after reducing her dosage.  If you read other posts, many patients have had bad reactions to synthroid. Your doctor may be reluctant to change things if your labs are normal, but there are other medicines to try. From reading other posts, it sounds like many people have had good luck with Armour...I am in the process of trying to get my daughter's doctor to try a different medication...if I can just get him to call me back......
Thanks for your comment...I'm new to this sight and hypo...and I've been reading for two days and decided to come out!!!!!!

cele622
Thanks for your comment, I've decided to come out......I did not know babies were diagnosed with this....I am reading the posts...I've been diagnosed a month ago.....
My sister and mother have hypothyroid with nodules and goiter....

cele622
YOU HAVE MET YOUR TWIN!!!!  I actually have to take lower than what I should be taking as cancer supressive for exactly the same reason you describe.

I have been able to distinguish b/tween the two by  realizing that if what made me anxious wouldn't normally make me anxious, then the med may be at play ..

I would think a TSH of 7.5 and on 25micrograms of Synthroid you shouldn't be too too hyper but you won't know until you are tested.

It is awful.

I know

I am there with you but getting the right dosing and it goes away for me.

Also, check on the health pages for a Guest CL thread on Anxiety that we put up there when the CL of Anxiety was our guest for 3 days!  DEFINTIELY worth taking a look at on the top of the page in Health Pages,

Cheryl