anyone have allergic reaction to Vitamin D?
Hi! I switched to a new Vitamin D, a liquid 1,000 mg with no soy or gluten. I took it yesterday along with my new B12. My face swelled up. Today I decided not to take the B12, thinking that had caused a reaction.

I took the D today and my face swelled again, so I guess it is the D that is making me sick. I had a terrible reaction when my first endo gave me the 50,000 unit gel caps. I thought it was the soy in the gel, but now I wonder if I'm allergic to D.

Anyone ever heard of that? How do you treat this?

:) Tamra
Don't have time to read all the posts but thought I would add this in case it hasn't been mentioned above and will help some of you.
My mother and I and 2 friends are allergic to Vitamin D3 - cholecalciferol. We had no problem with the original Vitamin D2 but the new Vitamin D3 is made from the lanolin in sheep's wool and we are allergic to wool. Apparently, the allergen in the lanolin is still in the Vitamin D3.
I ALSO HAD BEEN TOLD MY VITAMIN D LEVEL WAS LOW, AND FIRST PUT ON MEGA DOSES OF 50,000 IU, ONLY INTO MY 2ND WK., I HAD TO GO TO THE ER FOR VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, SEVERE ANXIETY AND FREQUENT URINATION@!!!

I FOUND ANOTHER DR. WHO PUT ME ON 3,000 IU A DAY, WHICH I TOOK FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS.  SUDDENLY I GOT THE SAME SEVERE SYMPTOMS AND BACK TO THE ER, THIS TIME ADMITTED ME!!!

THESE DRS. ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT VITAMIN D, BUT INSIST ON PRESCRIBING HUGE MEGA DOSES OFF LABEL AND USING US AS HUMAN GUINEA PIGS!!!!  THEY WANTED MY LEVEL TO TO UP TO 45!!!! I WAS IN THE ER AT 35~!!!  WHAT ARE WE ALL CLONES???

NOW FOR THE 3RD TIME, ANOTHER RHEUM. TOLD ME MY VIT. D LEVEL WAS ''VERY LOW'', 19-----WELL, MAYBE 19 IS RIGHT FOR MY BODY!!!!  I KNEW I SHOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED BUT SHE TOLD ME TO TAKE 1,000 IU A DAY.  I'M INTO A MONTH OF DOING IT, AND AGAIN----I'M GETTING THE SAME SYMPTOMS AGAIN, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, URINATING EVERY MINUTE AND ANXIETY!

DON'T LISTEN TO DRS. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT VITAMIN D!  AND ONCE IT'S IN YOUR SYSTEM, IT'S STORED, SO IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET IT OUT, AND YOU HAVE TO SUFFER WITH THE BAD SIDE EFFECTS!@

I AM STOPPING THE CRAP, AND WILL NEVER TAKE IT AGAIN!
I'm not sure you realize it, and while I doubt you meant to, typing in all caps is equivalent to yelling at people; not to mention it's rather hard to read.

This is a very old thread and most of the previous posters have not participated in the forum since they posted here, so it's unlikely you will get a response from any of them.  

Vitamin D levels should be between 35 and 80; and most of my research indicates that levels near the top are best.  However, not everyone is the same and we don't all need the same levels.  You might take a lower dose, or simply not take it, if you don't have symptoms of deficiency.
The side effects you mention are magnesium deficiency side effects. Vitamin D "uses up" magnesium to convert to active vitamin D in the blood. If you do not have enough magnesium, you will suffer symptoms. I know as i already had a severe magnesium deficiency unknowingly and started 5000IU of vitamin D3 a day for 6 months. Disaster.
I am experiencing the exact same thing after starting 2000 iu of vitamin d several weeks ago. My level was a 12. Now I have all over muscle twitching, muscle cramps,weakness and today frequent urination, diarrhea on and off and  poor sleep and sense of constant anxiety . Did the er doctors explain why this would be happening? You can't possibly be experiencing toxicity at that low level, right? I am worried about my kidneys, so I am stopping the vitamin d for a week to see if there is any improvement, as my doctor suggested. I am so discouraged.
As suggested by Red_Star, get your magnesium levels tested.  Magnesium is essential for vitamin D absorption.

I am also having allergic reactions to Vitamin D..have been for over 2 years. I tried the 50,000 unit pill and I did well for about 6 months, then started to have problems in my throat, feeling like it was swelling and also experienced body aches, muscle aches and so on with the 50,000 unit but stopped it after the throat problems. I then tried a lower dose from Walgreen from Natures Bounty D3-5000 IU  and had an even severe reaction but sort of the same as the 50,0000 unit which was my throat feeling like it was swelling, and I felt like I was going to pass out..just 1 pill. I went to the Dr. yesterday and was told my Vitamin D level is very low..14.. my doctor said that she thinks I am allergic to the fish in the D3 and want me to try Vitamin D2 Vegetarian and I am really scared to try it after the last bad, bad side effect. I do have lots of allergies to medicines, especially antibiotics but I think i'm going to try it and I will post back and let everyone know how it worked out..I am going to get some today..my problem started within the first 5-10 minutes with the previous Vitamin D..well wish everyone well.
I would go easy on the D folks.  Take most hashis and you will see that most of us have low D.  It comes with the territory.  There is some research out there that says taking too much D trying to raise it up too fast can cause more issues than just supplementing with a little bit.  The body doesn't like it.  

There are some web sites out there that use this as an excuse to get you to buy into their false theories such as t4 only products are bad for everyone, everyone must take armour, you will never be able to convert if your iron is low, and if your D is low, you should not be taking meds until you get it up to a substantial level.  Be careful what you read out there, and listen to your DR. before believing some of this hype.
natural is best!!
Yes agreed.

also for all you gluten-ites, did you know that some vit D pills have gluten in them?    
Hi. I am so glad to find someone else who had the same symptoms. I also had severe muscle pain/cramping and muscle twitching. Basically I went to 2 doctors including an endocrinologist who didn'tbelieve it was a reaction to the vitamin d3. Very humiliating. I went off it and am trying the dry form of d3 but already not feeling great. I am concerned about my levels remaining low because the doctor said i will definitely develop osteoporosis.Were you told that? any info would be great . feel free to email at ***@****
I had chest pain (left sternum area) and left sided pain in the kidney/flank area. It was awful. i tried liquid drops, capsules, chewable tablets....none of them worked for me. My level is 30ng/dl. My doctor wanted me at 60. i  decided I would lay in the sun 3-4 times a week for 15 minutes instead. I live in TX so its always hot here.
I had all those symptoms and more. I also had kidney pain. Still have it. I was only on the d3 for 2 months. I started on 5000 IU capsule but switched to liquid drops after side effects started hoping the drops would be better for me. Then I tried chewable. Same side effects and getting worse. I even tried tapering down to 1000 IU and then building up slowly. Didn't work. I then tried childrens chewable 400 IUs. Still had side effects. I've given up. I'm sunning myself for 15 minutes 3 times a week. No side effects. I live in TX so its almost always hot and sunny.
i am also allergic to vitamin d at least i think i am.  i have tried taking it and every time my heart races i can't walk up stairs without stopping to catch my breath. i ended up in the hospital and they thought i was having a heart attack but that was negative.  i said the only new medication was vitamin D and they said that would not be it.  but i came off it and now i can run up the stairs and my heart is not longer racing and my bp has come down.  
I have the same problem after thyroid removal surgery. I currently have a level of 24 ng/ml. My doctor keeps telling me to take Vit. D. but I get headaches, muscle twitching, dizziness and heart palpitations. I take 180 mg. of Allegra 3x a day to keep the hives away. I'm so glad to have found this sight. I'm so frustrated! My doctors think I'm crazy. I figured its just another auto immune reaction, but I don't understand why. I take large doses of calcium because they damaged my parathyroids. I feel the symptoms mildly all the time, but they really kick up if I take the D.
I too have a vit. D. allergy. I've tried many different forms both perscribed and over the counter. I am currently at a level of 24 ng/ml. and I have a vit. D 1-25 of 31. I've decided being low is far safer than the dizziness, heart palpitations, hives, breathing issues etc.

What to do if you had the darn gall bladder removed?
The vitamin D council states that vitamin D has no known side effects.

However it is common for rising vitamin D levels to bring up symptoms of an underlying magnesium deficiency.

Histamine production rises when there is magnesium deficiency. Hives occur in response to the release of histamine into the skin. Your other symptoms of dizziness, heart palpitations, and breathing issues are also listed symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
Muscle twitches and headaches are yet another two of the many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.  It is commonly recommended to take calcium and magnesium supplements at a 2:1 ratio. If you have kidney disease check with your doctor first before starting magnesium supplements.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate, taurate, or aspartate, although malate, succinate, fumarate are also good. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea so cut back the dosage if this happens.  
Tried the magnesium with the higher dosage of D3, but it didn't work ( I was up to 1000mg/day).  I still had heart palps and breathing issues. Thought it was my heart. Went through all tests for the heart but all was normal. I was even thinking I had sleep apnea. However, I decided to stop taking all vitamins including the high dose of vit d ( i was taking 6000 iu/day) and low and behold, all symptoms subsided. These side effects happened no matter what type of vit d I took...d2, d3, pill, gel, etc. Tried all different kinds. Now im taking 1000 iu and muti vit and still feel like heart is fluttering. It's very frustrating!! I am waiting to hear from endocrinologist to see about light therapy. He said to try foods with high vit d like salmon. Not sure if I can get enough d from my salmon and milk, but I guess I can try. Feeling run down, brain fog and achy already , and I stopped the d 2 weeks ago! Good luck everyone.
You could try increasing your magnesium intake.  Magnesium citrate is the best form.  It's actually hard to overdose on magnesium when taking it orally, because if you take too much you can get diarrhea.  Well, when that happens, though, you don't need to panic.  You simply cut back on the dosage of magnesium until the diarrhea stops.

A lot of times a conventional doctor doesn't mention that you need to take magnesium WITH the vitamin D.  I have no idea why conventional medicine doesn't recognize the connection when it's not new information.  But, a lot of these guys will tell someone with vitamin D deficiency to take the vitamin D2 megadose to boost the vitamin D fast or take the vitamin D3 at a higher dose, but they leave the magnesium out of the equation.  It has been proven that magnesium is the most important mineral to help the body synthesize vitamin D.

Just about everyone I know with autoimmune issues has a very hard time supplementing vitamin D.  So, for someone to have difficulties taking oral vitamin D, this kind of issue just doesn't surprise me.  And, I know some people really are allergic to oral vitamin D supplements.  A lot of the same people with the oral vitamin D allergies also have problems being in the sun, so it's a really tough situation, because vitamin D is the key to immune function.

I just found out that my own vitamin D is low again.  Fortunately, I haven't had any major problems that a lot of people in this thread are talking about with taking oral vitamin D.  And, I do have autoimmune issues, too.  I am quite grateful that I learned about the importance of taking magnesium WITH the vitamin D early on.  Thank goodness, because I do seem to have problems keeping my vitamin D and my iron up unless I supplement them.  

FYI:  If you find yourself being told that you have iron deficiency, it is important to take vitamin C with your iron supplement.  I have to use a natural form called chelated iron, because my stomach can't handle the prescription forms.  If you can handle the prescription strength stuff, more power to you.  Just be sure you're taking it with vitamin C.  That's another one that conventional doctors don't usually tell people.  Even natural vitamin C supplements are not crazy expensive, and most of the people I know who can't take oral vitamin D seem alright with a gentle form of natural vitamin C.  It's just not the same thing that you're deficient on.  Most people who eat plenty of fresh produce aren't going to be low on vitamin C, but it's also water soluble, so taking a 500-1,000 mg capsule of vitamin C with your iron isn't going to take you into vitamin C toxicity, which is also rare.  It can happen, but it's very rare, because it's water soluble.  Vitamin C should also be taken with CoQ10.
Anyone figure out a cure for this? I suffer from the same symptoms (agitation, anxiety, heart racing, overheated feeling) from taking vitamin D, no matter what brand.

Magnesium helps but only so far. It "taps out" at a certain dose. I've taken as much as 1200mg of Magnesium Glycinate and it only proved that, while it will make me tired, it doesn't negate the vitamin D anxiety!

This all has to do with the NMDA receptor as far as I can tell. Anyone tried an NMDAR antagonist? (Campral, Memantine)? If so, please share your experience. Thanks!
I got atrial fibrillation when I had increased vitamin D intake to 100 mcg (Jan 6). I have had shortness of breath for  about two months. I dropped the vitamin D to 50 mcg, but recentlty increased again to 75 mcg. I have again  dropped it to 50, because of polyuria and thirst. I use magnesium, and my magnesium level in blood is good. I have hyperparathyroidism. Maybe those who have primary hyperparathyroidism should not take vitamin D.
I have so many of the same problems as the people on this
forum.   I have MCS, Lone AFib and thyroid autoimmune. I'm a mess.
I can't take vitamins at all.  Have your adrenals checked.  Eat
healthy. I'm on a quest.  Good Luck
I have vitamin D allergy but never had such a severe reaction. First time I found out I had it after staying in the sun for too long. I got a terrible skin reaction. Looked like acne. After that I started avoiding going out in the sun. Because of it I got vitamin D deficiency. A while ago I started taking liquid vitamin D. Also got a reaction from the drops, but than I researched a little and found out that you have start with small doses. My doc forgot to mention that. I took a few days of just to get back to normal and started taking a drop a day and eventually increasing the dose. It's worked for me.
If all fails you may want to consider joining a tanning salon.  I began using a full body tanning bed that provides UVB rays after all else eventually caused disabling reactions.  The UVB rays also cause reactions, but thus far tolerable.  I have been low D almost two years.  I do five minutes every 4 days.  Should you try the UVB rays at a tanning salon, take the time to educate yourself.  It is not altogether without risk. (My sources indicate that 1 minute on a full body tanning bed allows the body to create 800 to 1000 IU of D.)
i take vitamin d3 from swanson company they are cheaper and very well for me i just started the gel from the dr because my body lost all vitamin d she gave me 50,000 units also and i am itchy and have hives i dont know why and dont understand . but the swanson pills are not gel and i dont break out. something to look into. i know all pills from swanson are a good brand  and price is great compared to all the other brands i tried. hope this helps.
swansonhealth.com
have strange FIXED rash on my lower front neck and my lips have been getting sore and are peeling.  i have lanolin allergy and have been sporadically taking D3 2000 units daily,  as well as prescription dose of 50,000 units weekly over the past 5 weeks.  dermatologists can't figure out what is causing rash on neck with looks like typical psoriatic, eczematous allergic dermatitis and lip soreness/peeling.  one doc thought it was my toothpaste which i have been using for years.  i am on no other prescription or over-the-counter drugs.  after reading these posts, i called carlson labs and found out there IS lanolin in D3 gel caps.  i will now stop all vitamin D and see what happens.  gosh, it sure is tough to be human!
p.s.  dermatologist told me if i get natural sunshine for 20 mins a day, i will meet all vitamin D requirements.  just difficult to do that in winter months.  sigh.
Red Star is absolutely correct that the symptoms you are all describing are due to a magnesium deficiency.  Most people in the US are deficient in magnesium.  Other factors to consider also are lyme disease.  Having lyme disease will eat away at your magnesium levels and can cause joint and muscle pain.  Blood serum testing of magnesium is not accurate.  It might be best to try to get your magnesium levels up for a while before you slowly start trying to add vitamin D again.  Taking a hot bath with lots of epsom salts is also a good way for your body to absorb magnesium.  Don't forget too that you must always  also take a good natural vitamin K along with vitamin D.  
Taking magnesium transdermally, using Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion (or Swanson's). A much faster way to build up magnesium levels, and we excrete it fairly quickly...from all sorts of stress. So I also use lotion as maintenance.
In the Transdermal Magnesium book, there is an assumption that epsom salts baths may be a better source of sulfur (we need that mineral as well), than magnesium, due to the different form of magnesium.

Interesting discussion above. There is an assumption of an allergic reaction to D3. Had muscle aches all winter (first season I took D3) until I finally realized the source and stopped. Found listed by the Univ of MD posting that this is one of numerous "Symptoms of Excess D3". It seems D3 is oil-soluable, and is stored in body fat. If you have any symptoms, suggest checking out that posting and stop taking D3 for a while, and increasing intake of K-2 (MK-7 variety). Kefir (homemade from milk from organic whole grass-pastured cows) is another good source of K-2. We are all missing K-2 to some degree. K-2 directs calcium from foods to where the body needs it, and magnesium keeps calcium in suspension, and not precipitating out where you do not want it (arteries, kidneys and joints).

Took a while to put these pieces together. If you experience heart palpitations, please do your own research starting with Dr Sinatra's "HeartMD" website and the Hans Larsen Afibbers website.
OMG!  Thank you for posting that!  I have had the same experience and have found nothing on the web about it.  I've tried 3 different times to treat my low d with different levels and types of supplements, no luck.  Each time all of those same symptoms got worse.  MUCH WORSE!  Have any new info?
I believe that the Solgar 1000 IU softgels *must* contain lanolin.  If you search the Internet, you will find that one teaspoon of fish oil (e.g., cod liver oil) contains a minuscule amount of vitamin D.  In my opinion, the only way Solgar could get that amount of vitamin D in their small capsules would be if a lanolin-based source of vitamin D had been added to the fish oil.

I have NOT been able to identify any other supplement company that sells a fish oil-sourced vitamin D product that does NOT contain lanolin.  How plausible is it that Solgar is the only company that is able to do so?
Other clues that the Solar 1000 IU softgels product contains lanolin:

1) Fish liver oil is the *fourth* ingredient listed, after safflower oil, gelatin, and vegetable glycerin.  This means that less than 25% of the contents of a capsule is fish liver oil.

2) The last ingredient is "cholecalciferol."  There would be no need to include cholecalciferol as an ingredient if it were only a component of the fish liver oil.
Hi all - reading the above, the symptoms many describe, such as palpitations, frequent urination, breathlessness, anxiety, lethargy, depression etc - are signs of vitamin D/calcium toxicity. Remember that vitamin D increases calcium absorption. Some people with low vitamin D may test low because the body is actually protecting itself from absorbing too much calcium. Calcium can be high for different reasons but is never normal - please make sure your calcium levels are tested at the same time, every time.

Additionally, some oils used in softgels are known allergens - e.g. safflower and sunflower oils are both related to daisy/ragweed, and highly likely to cause a reaction in people who suffer hayfever or allergic rhinitis. Reactions can include swelling in face or mouth, asthma or difficulty breathing, etc etc.

Glycerin is another ingredient to be wary of, and another possibility is the gelatin capsule (dry vitamins) and/or other fillers such as magnesium stearate - these can contain traces of the potentially allergenic sources they were derived from. Magnesium stearate is generally derived from "vegetable" sources though it's never specified what.

Many manufacturers label products hypoallergenic, gluten free etc - however, unless they've made the entire supplement from scratch themselves, it's doubtful they'd know the origins of all ingredients. Unless the label states something like "formulated to be free from..." or similar, I'd ask the manufacturer (though more often than not they won't reply or may answer evasively).

One more thing to bear in mind - many things state they're free from yeast and wheat, but seldom mention bacteria or mold - these can also be problematic to people with compromised immune systems, and are used to make many supplements.

If you are taking any vitamin D - whatever you do, be careful taking supplemental calcium as well (including calcium fortified food). Lethargy, frequent urination, headaches, muscle aches and pains, tight chest feeling - none of these are normal and are signs of toxicity. Stop taking one or both as soon as any of these symptoms develop.

All the best,
R
Hi into_the_mystic - have you contacted Solgar to ask? I've found them to be good at responding to queries about their products. Bluebonnet also make a 1000iu fish liver oil vitamin D using soy oil instead of safflower.

Have you tried piercing the softgel and mixing the oil into food or something to take it, thereby avoiding the softgel?

Depending on what the reaction is, maybe it's something else altogether (e.g. vitamin D needs other synergists - are these also being supplemented in sufficient amounts if taking high amounts of vit D?).

Another possibility is that the vit D is stimulating an already over-stimulated immune system and any other allergens in the formulation are also causing a reaction (e.g. safflower can be a problem for hayfever, asthma, allergic rhinitis, etc).

Sorry, perhaps not that helpful...

R
P.S. Forgot to mention - the vitamin D's from fish liver oil don't generally use cod liver, but one or a combo of other fish liver oils in which the amount of vit D is more concentrated, e.g. halibut. Essentially it's been concentrated and the vitamin A removed - that process may also lead to something being left behind.

R
I have been taking supplements containing vitamin D for two years, not realising the chronic depression, runny nose, chronic joint and bone pain was related to this. I have been back and fore the doctors for the last few months , but nothing will get through to them that my symptoms are related to vit D supplements. My face started to change when I began to take the supplements but I couldn't pin point that this was the cause. In two years my skin has aged significantly. I now think I am allergic to Vit D . I am also very concerned that I was pregnant and breastfeeding while taking the supplements . Although they only contained 100 IU of vit D and were recommended for during the second and third trimester and nursing, the baby stopped growing in my womb at around 8 months - It is only now that I am putting all the pieces of the puzzle together.
It is more than frustrating as everyone thinks that I am crazy for thinking vit D could do this to me and I have been treated for ;mental health' issues instead of addressing the fact that I have all the symptoms of Vitamin D allergy/overdose.
Thanks for your interest and help!

I cannot take *any* vitamin D product that contains lanolin.  I react to even the liquid vitamin D drops that contain very few additional ingredients.

I did contact Solgar and was informed (by email) that ALL of their vitamin D products contain lanolin.

If you know of any vitamin D products that are sourced from fish oil (and contain NO added lanolin), would you please post that information here?

I have read that there is one brand that makes vitamin D from mushrooms, but I am allergic to mushrooms, too.

I have an autoimmune condition that prevents me from being able to get my vitamin D from the sun.

Thanks!

You are not alone regarding your reactions to vitamin D.  I, and others, have the same problem.  I cannot tolerate any product that contains lanolin.

I am going to try a lichen-sourced vitamin D3 product made by Vitashine to see if I can tolerate that.
My vitamin D is really low, too.  11, in fact.  I've had many of the symptoms, of course. I tried many different D3 supplements and felt worse once I took them.... even with a low dose of 100IU. After doing some research, I found out that the D3 I was taking (Cholecalciferol) is lanolin based... and I'm allergic to wool!  So, I am allergic to that particular form of it!  I found a VEGAN version (made by Country Life)... made from lichen... and tada!  I can tolerate it now! I take 5000 IU a day for a month now, and I am starting to feel better. I'll go in for blood work soon to make sure it's getting better/not too high, but I have such a long way to go to get to normal levels. I hope this helps you!  
Are you still taking the Country Life D3 from lichen?  How are your D levels now?
sportswidow is no longer active on the forum and is unlikely to respond to your question.
None of the previous posters on this thread are currently active on the forum, so it's unlikely that anyone will respond.  It's good to have that information, though, in case someone else has the same/similar issues.
UPDATE:

I finally found a type of vitamin D supplement that I can tolerate.  

There are currently three types of vitamin D supplements available:

1) supplements which contain vitamin D3 derived from lanolin (sheep's wool),

2) supplements which contain vitamin D3 derived from lichen, and

3) supplements which contain vitamin D derived from cod liver oil.

There are a few manufacturers who use *only* cod livers in their cod liver oil products.  Most "coid liver oil" products contain primarily vitamin D3 derived from lanolin as the source of their vitamin D.  The problem with most of the pure cod liver oil formulations is that they contain an excessive amount of vitamin A.

I have tried several of the lichen-derived products.  Most of them contained other ingredients which I could not tolerate.  I recently found a manufacturer who makes a very pure formulation which contains only lichen-derived vitamin D3 and organic rice flour.  This product is called DailyD and is manufactured by Do Vitamins.  

My vitamin D levels were below normal.  I am so glad that this company is making this product!  

DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in this company.
I was taking omega3 from Trader JOes and got the worst reaction - my muscle became 'frozen' like for a week! Felt dreadful.  Now years later am taking Vita D3 and just taking Vita A again and trying Salmon Oil.  Realizing something is wrong as am feeling so ill and itchy! Started researching this and found that oils can go rancid and if there's an issue with Vit D3 or other can be your liver is reacting to it. The soy oil and other ingredients too.  And possible can go into inflammations of the body which I feel am experiencing.   Vitamins interact with each other and getting to much of one may throw the whole healthy thing off in your system. I take a bit of vinegar every day and add more to my foods (Asian style) and drinking more water!  Am using Walmart Spring Valley brands and Trader Joes Salmon Oil  which am going to curb but not my magnesium!  Eat more of my vitamin D and A  and not farm raised Salmon!  Back to researching.  My stepmother a nurse from the Army said 'you are what you eat'...ole school and just about right!  Good health!
Mykind organics brand of vitamin d3, certified vegan d3 from lichen and none GMO works for me.  Howerver, if I drink just one glass of milk or eat anything that is fortified with d3, I will break out in hives and itch like crazy for two to three days.  ugh!
I started taking just 300iu vit d a day at the end of Nov 2015, by the middle of Dec 2015 I began waking up feeling weird. Racing heart, couldn't breathe well. On Jan 4 2016, woke up and it was horrible. I was having all of the symtpoms of a heart attack.  I went to the ER who of course checked my heart everything looked good. Began having what my doctor thought was panic attacks.  At first they were just at night (the same feelings I had when I woke up Jan4).  Then they began happening all the time.  Then it starting feeling like just everything in me was shutting down. I was digesting food, urinating, my heart beat was so irregular that it would almost take me to my knees at times. My doctor put me on Buspar (which made things worse) began having a reaction to that sever jerking, foggy feeling, shaking on the inside. So I decided to stop everything I was taking.  My ex talked to his sister who used to be a nurse and told her the vitamins that I had been taking she said to stay away from the vit d that it could cause all of the symptoms that I was having. So I slowly started reintroducing my vitamins and supplements one at a time except the vit d.  I slowly began feeling better and the "attacks" became fewer and farther inbetween then it came time to add my multivitamin back in (I was only doing 1 at a time to find out how I would react before starting another) .
After taking my multivitamin for 3 days it all started happening again.  I looked on the label to find vit d so I stopped taking it and within a week it all started going away again.  I haven't taken anymore vit d or any vitamin with vit d in it since and things seem to be pretty normal except when I eat foods high in vit d I start having heart palpitations again and an irregular heart beat as well as difficulty breathing.  The same goes for being in the sun.  I only work part time (20 hrs) but about 6 - 10 hours of that is outside.  It is getting warmer so I am not all layered up now and covered head to toe and by the time Friday gets here I have begun having the same issues as when I eat something with vit d in it.  I don't get it.  I have always been an outside person and have never had any kind of a problem with the sun of vit d before.  I don't understand how such a small dose would cause such horrible problems!
Are you still on Buspar?
I had a severe reaction to taking vitamin D3. I broke out in hives everywhere. I couldn't stop scratching myself. It was fairly awful. I immediately quit taking all vitamins I was using. Doing a little research online I discovered that vit D3 is derived from sheep's wool. I had no idea. I asked 3 pharmacists, 2 doctors, & a doctor specializing in allergies if they had heard of such a thing & neither of them had. Unfortunately I had gave the vitamins away after my reaction. If I had still had them the Doctor could've done a skin test on me. As it was I called the vitamin company and also the food & drug admin here in Canada & gave them both detailed reports of my experience with the Vit D3. Oh, I forgot to mention that yes, I am allergic to wool
I have not had itching, but I have had "foggy-mindedness", lethargy, etc. to D3 products made from lanolin.  I am not allergic to wool, but the lanolin-based D3 products do cause a negative reaction in me.  I did find out that Solgar makes a brand of D3 made from fish oil.  It seems to cause bloating, but not the other issues that lanolin-based D3 causes.  I have been VERY sensitive to the ingredients in some supplements, so I have to very careful what I take.  Even certain D2 products have caused a negative reaction in me.
I have had problems  with vitamin d3 as well. I began talking vitamin d about 8 years ago and felt better.  The problem is everyone jumped on the d3 bandwagon and its animal based. D3 is made from sheep wool (lanolin).  I never had any problems  supplementing vitamin d before, but that was d2 a plant based supplement. D3 caused me to have hot flashes all the time. Talking to the doctors  wont help because  until one if them experience  it they wont believe  you. I bought d2 online from amazon and dont have the same problems.
I have had the same issues with D3 supplements made from lanolin.  (By the way, what D2 products have you found that worked?)
You have posted comments to members that are no longer active on the forum.  It is unlikely they will see, or respond to, your comments.
I've had a terrible reaction to Vitamin D2 50,000 UI once weekly.  I was prescribed it to raise my calcium levels and started it just before going to visit future in-laws.  I started having migraines, severe mood swing/depression/feeling suicidal, sensitivity to light, and my lips swelled up then started peeling and hurting.  I thought my lips were sunburnt at first. It has been 7 weeks since I stopped taking vitamin D and my lips are still having issues with a pain/rash and sensitivity to sweat and sun exposure. The doctors gave me a steriod cream (eczema type), then an anti-bacterial gel, and since neither of those have worked I'm trying nystatin (used for candida) which is the only thing showing promise so far.  Did you find something that worked for healing your lips after Vita D reaction?
I have had an allergic reaction to D3 made from Cholecalciferol.  Most Cholecalciferol seems to come from sheep lanolin (a wool derivative), so it's possible that I have an allergy to that.  I did find a brand of D3 made from fish oil that doesn't cause an allergic reaction in me.  It is made by Solgar.