Thyroid Disorders Community
anyone have allergic reaction to Vitamin D?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi! I switched to a new Vitamin D, a liquid 1,000 mg with no soy or gluten. I took it yesterday along with my new B12. My face swelled up. Today I decided not to take the B12, thinking that had caused a reaction.

I took the D today and my face swelled again, so I guess it is the D that is making me sick. I had a terrible reaction when my first endo gave me the 50,000 unit gel caps. I thought it was the soy in the gel, but now I wonder if I'm allergic to D.

Anyone ever heard of that? How do you treat this?

:) Tamra
Just wondering if you found an answer to your question? I've been going through the same thing. I am very deficient, however I have a terrible reaction to Vit D. It started after taking the 50,000 i.u and now I can't even tolerate a glass of milk. I have to completely avoid vit d, and foods that contain high amounts of it.
Hmmmm this is worth researching....please list all the ingredients and what type of D you are taking? Is it D3?
Is it by chance Wellesse?  I bought the liquid also for the whole fam and my daughter broke out in a rash like hives all over her legs and stomach but she has had it since and not had any reaction so not sure if that was what did it or not but it was the only thing I could come up with.
I know someone who is allergic to the sun -- every time she spends time in the sun, without being covered, she breaks out in a rash, swells, etc.  
Wow! That's odd. Never heard of that happening.

50,000IU is D2 and then there's D3.

I took both but I have chronic low D. My endocronologist says my body doesn't absorb D so she took me off the 50,000IU and put me on 5,000IU daily of D3. That's a high dose and I don't suggest anyone taking it before consulting your doctor.

I would suggest anyone who is having a reaction to the D they're taking, call the manufacturer and ask exactly what's in it.
I have tried EVERY kind of D3. 50,000 unit pills, liquid, and the only kind that I don't have a bad reaction to is the direct sun or low level pills.

:) Tamra
Have you tried a lower dosage?  Maybe you need to build up your levels more slowly??
I break a 400 pill in half. I also use the sun. Luckily, I live in south Texas.
:) Tamra
I'm allergic to vitamin D!!
I have even worse symptoms, my face and arms and legs swell my chest gets tight and I can't breath. This happens from eating anything with vitamin D or sun exsposure.
The doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me. This has been happening since I was a kid. I got tired of no one knowing what was wrong. When I was 15 years old my mother to me to the healthfood store. I told the herbalist my systems and what I was eating or doing at the time. She went thru a few books and then told me I was allergic to Vitamin D.
This changed my life and now I practice avoidance.
Here is a list of foods to avoid but you must always check lables ...as they add vitamin D into everything.
Spinich, cereal, milk, some soy & rice milks,
egg yolk, most seafood and fish even tuna, the add it to orange juice, mushrooms,protein bars and energy drinks, some whole milk cheese, some tofu,vitamin fortified water and juice, the sun also may effect you when your allergic to vitamin D ..... I carry a rice paper Asian parasol with me during tje summer months to keep myself out of the sun.
I hope this helps, please remember to read lables because they add it into everything.
Don't fret I just tell people I have allergys (allergies).......beacuse they just don't get it!!!!!!! That I'm allergic to vitamin D.
Take care,
Krystal K. Puyallup,wa
Hi!  I have a similar problem in that I am very deficient in D but have had bad reactions to any D2 or D3 supplement I have taken, over-the-counter or prescribed.  I am in the process of trying to figure this out myself but a few things for thought . . .

First, have you considered the source of the D?  I recently learned that most D3 is derived from lanolin.  As it is possible to have a wool allergy, you may want to confirm the source of the D and be tested for any allergies thereto.

Second, not all products saying "gluten-free" were made without gluten.  Some manufacturers assume that their products are gluten free because they contend that the protein could not withstand the processing.  I have had several bad reactions to prescribed medicine that was supposedly gluten free only to later learn that it contained, e.g., wheat.

Third, could there be a cross-contamination issue?

Fourth, I am intrigued by things I have seen on the internet referring to a low D level but a high D-1,25 level (which is the activated form of D in your serum), which can cause a bad reaction to supplements.  However, your reaction sounds more like an allergy.

Finally, perhaps you could try another type of liquid D.  E.g., if you have tried one in olive oil maybe you could try one suspended in coconut oil (but I would check on the D source first to make sure that you don't have an allergy to that).

Best of luck and do keep us posted!
Mary, wow, it's been a while since I posted. Thanks for answering. I'm taking 1,000 IU D capsules, Spring Valley from Wal-Mart, and no bad reactions.  I think something was in that liquid D. I am also out in the sun more. No D problems now. Mary, you sound very intelligent and informed. Thanks so much for your input.

:) Tamra
Krystal, good thing you live in Puyallup if you're allergic to D. I used to be your neighbor in Spanaway. I think I saw the sun a few days a year. Thanks for your advice. I think it was just that liquid I took, but this is good advice for anyone else who truly has a D problem.

:) Tamra
So glad to hear that you have solved the problem Tamra!  I am sure that you are probably feeling much better now.  I will definitely look for that supplement; and, while my doctor wants me to get 5,000 iu / day, a 1,000 iu supplement that will work sure beats nothing!

Best regards, Mary
Thanks to both of you for your input.  I recently was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency and had an allegic type reaction also.  My chest felt tight, I felt winded, my joints ached and burned, I felt fatigued even after a good night's sleep.  The symptoms were significantly increased with the 50,000 IUs once per week prescribed by my physician.  I even responded poorly to as little as 1,000 IUs.  I'll purchase the vitamin D from Walmart.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

RES in Denver
I have been taking the walmart stuff the 5000 iu I was taking 2 of them my vitamin D went from 36 to 91 in a month or two.  they are freaking out because top range is 80 so I am cutting back to 1 but I really really notice a difference in fatigue when I forget to take vit D.
I get neck pain on the second day after taking 50K IU/wk
First, good on both of you for recognizing the problems when you take the mega-doses.  My food allergies either developed or became problematic (severe) only after I had my thyroid removed.  As allergy problems can go hand-in-hand with thyroid issues, I think it is important to recognize ill-effects whether it is with medicine or food.

For example, the allergies I developed are to corn, citrus, shellfish and papaya and their derivatives (certified, diagnosed, skin-test allergies!) - derivatives of all of which can be contained in the fillers or capsule.  As a result, my bad reactions to medicines are usually not to the medicine proper but rather to the filler ingredients.  I now have my medicines compounded in acidophilus.

So, honestly, I don't know for sure yet if my bad reactions to the Vitamin D supplements are to the fillers or the D itself because I have tried a variety of supplements that presumably do not contain any  of my known allergens.  I will note that the one supplement I have tried so far with the least amount of ill-effects is a liquid version of D3 in coconut oil (one drop in a small amount of water).  These are the only two ingredients in this particular liquid form.

My doctor did also suggest that I stay away from D2 (which was the form of D in the prescribed medicine) and that I try to find a D3 I could take.  This is in the event for any reason the bad reaction to the prescribed 50,000 iu dose was to the D.  Most of the supplements you will find in health food stores in the liquid form are D3 (the one I am taking is 5,000 ius per drop).

My doctor wanted me to aim for finding a supplement that would provide app. 4,000 ius per day.  I would suggest first paring down and trying supplements that contain as few ingredients as possible (preferably D3 if you had a bad reaction to D2).  

If, for example, like me, you still have untoward effects, consider whether you are allergic to either the D source or the filler.  If, for example, you have a bad reaction to a liquid form that is just D3 in olive oil (and you have never had a bad reaction to olive oil), consider the source of the D3 (which is usually lanolin from wool).  Maybe then you could try a small amount of D2 if the source is not from wool.

Also, consider having a D-1,25 test that I referenced in a prior posting.  If this level is high and the normal D 25 test low, it could explain why you are having a bad reaction to the D.

Unfortunately, to figure it all out requires a process of trial and error (and in my case, allergy testing).  Hopefully you have a store in your area that will take returns (as mine does) on supplements to which you have had a bad reaction!  

Specifically, for your information, the drops I am currently trying are Carlson DDrops.  I also recently received some samples from VitalChoice of their 2,000 iu vitamin D3 that are in Sockeye Salmon oil I want to try.

All my best wishes for good health and luck!!!

I am allergic to vitamine d and have allergic rhynitis
what can i take as a supplement to replace the  vitamine d
wow, this has been enlightening! thanks all.
When I was young I had some over exposure to the sun, on vacation, cloudy day at the beach all day, severe sunburn. Not only did I burn and peel, I had hives all over. Ever since then exposure to the sun without sunscreen caused hives on any exposed area.  My mom is also allergic to the sun. and Has thyroid problems, they cant seem to find any thyroid problems although I belive it may be low borderline type.

So the combination of now being allergic to the sun and allergic to sulfites due to asthma medications, at the time they used it on salads, seafood, wine and beer to  prevent browning, meant not great for living in Hawaii or California.

Now I live in VA and work all day in windowless room, with low lights, so I figured my body was used to sun and this winter was pretty bad and so I started to take vitamin D. All of a sudden I started to get hives at night, and one weekend I forgot ot take my claritin and my face swelled and I had that tight chest feeling. Well I was thinking of my symptoms and realized if I was allergic to the sun (10 minutes can give me rash) then I might be allergic to Vit. D as well (and come to find out Vitamin B too).

I wasnt 100% sure though since I wasnt sure if the symptoms were what I was experiencing. Same symptoms when I ate anything with sulfites, but usually immediate, within 15 minutes.  These symptoms came out only at night before bed or while I slept. hives on arms, hips, stomach usually.

I suspected the vit. D cause it stays in the fatty tissue and is used by the body when there isnt any sunlight.
There are so many manufacturers of Vit.D. Read the label of the D3! Some say soy, etc. You just may be allergic to another ingredient in the pill and not the vitamin. I'm allergic to soy and I can't eat wheat,orange,corn(corn syrup),yeast etc. Therefore I'm extremely careful reading the ingredients on the labels.
I think we are all in a state of resistance to vitamin d! I think we are so deficient  our body is resisting !
HELP!! I am also having an allergic reaction to Vit. D. I was diagnosed with a vit. d deficiency about 3 wks ago. Of course my dr. called out a prescription for the 50,000 d2 -- which I did not want to take. I guess it's a good thing b/c I am having a pretty bad reaction to a smaller dose. I am taking 7,000 IU's a day of an over the counter vit d from Sam's -- name brand is Member's Mark. I've been taking 2,000 in am and 5,000 in pm. Right from the beginning I had a bad reaction but felt that I needed to continue taking it b/c my vit d level was 14. My chest was tight and I just felt bad -- dizzy etc.! It has seemed to get better so I just assumed that my body needed to get used to it. Well, I was wrong!! Last night I started to feel worse. Very tight in my chest and itching all over -- which I treated with benadryl and an inhaler. Today it is some better but still feeling bad and itching. I called the phone # on the bottle and they told me that the d3 is from lanolin! I would never have thought of that!!

I guess my questions now are: what other ingredients should I stay away from (soy??) and what form of d should I try now??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Chris
Hey there!

Glad to know I'm not nutso!

In the past I have not had any reactions to vitamin D3.  However, this winter I had fevers each day I took a vitamin D supplement.  A week later I ended up with pneumonia.  I immediately suspected the vitamin D, but was quickly written off by doctors.  Then, as I started using a tanning bed, I started having awful joint pain.  It started in my feet and worked it's way up into every joint.  I stopped tanning, but found myself swelling even in the sun.  So, I started avoiding the sun and the symptoms went away.  However, I was recently tested and it shows that I am very deficient.  My current Dr. had me try a pharmaceutical grade, but within two days the pain had gone from the feet to the hips.  Since then, my Dr. believes me and I have avoided it in supplement form and sun exposure.  

I have just started researching this, but I am finding that malnourishment (that is common with Celiac and gluten sesitivities and other intestinal issues), primary hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis (and other granulomatous diseases), ans some cancers can cause this reaction.  

I have since gone gluten free and dairy free, which has improved my health significantly, but I have yet to try any high doses of D2 or D3.   I have been taking a thryoid support supplement that contains small doses of D3 and I haven't seen a problem yet.  Hoping and Praying that I can soon use the vitamin D3 supplements soon! :)

Hope this info is helpful to someone!
I take a combined calcium/Vit. D and have no problems with it.
But I do burn easily in the Australia sun even when it is only 23 Celius and our summer temperatures hit 44 Celcius so I 'cover up' and use sunscreen.
Great remedy for sunburn is the natural Aloe Vera Plant (home grown)...its a miracle cure when rubbed over the sunburn.
I had a bad bout of sunburn last summer on my face and used it and the next morning the redness was gone. I swear by it.
I grow Aloe Vera and use it for everything...forget the chemist creams!
I was diagnosed with vit d deficiency 24.0 also have been battling  bad anxiety depression  chronic fatigue adrenaline attacks.  
So my doc started me on 5000 iu softgel tabs per day after the first day i started to feel really good. I thought that i was on to something because i haven't felt so good in a looong time. Then bang on the third day into my vit d therapy i was hit with heart palpitations,fatigue,fast heart hate,high blood pressure,tight chest,thirst,panic and frequent urination.

Has anyone had these symptoms and has anyone fixed them by slowly building your dose up over time ?????
                               softgel ingredients: soybean oil, gelatin,glycerin and water
I'm so glad you posted.
I'm allergic to wool (I can't breathe when exposed for too long) and lanolin (itchy skin). I've been taking pharmaceutical vitamin d3 in dry capsule form from Wellnesshealth.com for 2 1/2 years to deal with seasonal affective disorder. I've got my D3 levels up to 26 taking 5000 iu a day right before bed (sometimes they made me tired when I took during the day) but haven't been able to get them to at least 40. So I've been researching taking the drops or the liquid. That's when I discovered that D3 comes from sheep wool and the red flag went up for me.
I've ordered a liquid form and contacted Carlson Lab with questions. I'll try the liquid form (not from Carlson lab) and be very careful to see how my body handles it. Carlson's lab states on the label of their products that because the product is highly distilled, even people with wool allergies should be able to use it. They have a 100% return guarantee.
I have benefited so much from D3, it's worth the gamble to very slowly try the liquid form as the reviews on line seem to indicate that higher D3 levels can be reached faster with liquid or drops.
My sister isn't allergic to wool and can tolerate shots given by her doctor but I would never risk them. So many doctors and patients aren't aware of the possible reactions in allergic people.
But for those of you who wonder if it's worth trying the dry form - it is. Many D3's out there are worthless and don't do a thing except waste your hard earned money. But the better ones like the one I take really help with energy and mood. I used to get very depressed every winter, now I'm able to function at a much higher level. I still sleep more than usual and hibernate a bit but I don't have the depression I used to have and rather than dreading winter from Sept. on I tolerate it about as well as a "normal" person.
Chris, lately I have been taking an emulsion of d made by Biotics Research Corporation called "Bio-D-Mulsion Forte."  It was given to me by a Naturopath so I do not know how readily available it is online but I have had no untoward effects from it (I usually take it with food).  The inactive ingredients are water, gum arabic emulsifier base and sesame oil.  You may want to try the other supplements I mentioned above as well.  Good Luck!!
Saw my doctor today. Vitamin D level at 25. Put me on 2000 Vit D daily.  Took my first pill this morning and later in the day I felt high pulse, palpitations, nervousness, and thought I was going to pass out.  I'm always hesitant to take ANYTHING that I don't absolutely need to take.  I can only contribute these symptoms to the new Vit D that I just started to take.  Have you had any of the same symptoms as noted in your previous post?

Thank you.
UPDATE:

I FINALLY got my Vit D up to 62.5 !  I'm taking 8000 IU daily with Calcium.
Started at 8.5 and got osteoporosis. Taking Boniva.

Hi Ladies! OMG, I thought I was alone. I have been reading all of your comments. Yay, i see some answers to my questions.  I recently got tested (actually yesterday). So I am stopping this supplement (Jarrow Formulas Vitamin D3), and switching to some other brand. If this doesn't work, then I will just have to lay out on my lunch, ha! Hopefully this itching, and hives stop. And all along, I thought it was stress "stress rash".......i was about to get rid of my fiance lol. Thanks for your input, because of you ladies I feel more at ease that this allergy IS because of something in Vitamin D supplement. Still waiting for my text results.

Thanks!
Hi, I too have Vit D problems.  I have tried so many brands, thankfully my family members can use them, but I get pain in joints, muscles, and shaking, to mention a few of my most bothersome symptoms.  This started for me about 3-4 years ago and I have been trying to lower my intake but have to take D or have panic attacks galore. Up till that time had great health.  The sun also gives me problems, I can take a little time outside with minor side effects, but for extended time, need sunscreen to ward off the UVB rays or I can barely move the next day.  Gone to many doctors, none of which seem to want to try to really research it, but suggest I try other types of Doctors.  I am glad to see I am not as alone as I thought.  Just wish there was an answer out there for me...
Wow...  and I thought I was going nuts!  I was diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency several months ago.  The doctor put me on vitamin D2 10,000 IU per week, but this gave me heart palpitations.  So I asked I switched to Vitamin D3 gel tabs 1000 IU per day.  I felt much better almost immediately (no headache, panic attacks, or other symptoms) and for several months, felt like I was on the mend.  Then about a month ago, noticed some odd symptoms that seemed like an allergy - throad and chest feels tight, joint and muscle aches, weakness, fatigue, and now my headaches / panic attacks are back.  I tried upping the D3 to 2000 IU but felt worse, not better.  Now I'm thinking there may be something I'm allergic to in the D3.  I switched to another brand, but I feel just as bad, if not worse.  I'll have to try the Walmart brand and see if that helps.  It's nice to know I'm not alone, but wish we all didn't have to suffer this way!  Hope you all get better soon!  Thanks for all your inputs!
Look into NAET Treatment.  I can cure your allergy to Vitamin D.
OMG I took a Vita D Supplement-Calcerate for quite some time.. Some a few weeks back, I was told by my dr that I was vita d low.. So I tried takiing a mulit vitalmin for women 45 and up and ended up with a horrible facial rash with flaky look that it bacame so itchy.. Since I still didn not know it was the viatime D.. I then weht to Walmart and bough a vitam A & D with 4000 iu and 5000 iu to see if the problem would clear and it got worse.. I stopped it immediatley.. A another week goes by and I met with my diabetic dr whose decided to prescribe some kind of pill med to control my blood sugars cuz I was gaining weight with insulin and the situation became even more worse.. the rash went from my checks to my forehead.. Then, I had to be on steriods pills to illiminate the problem and it did not go away at all.. I decided to buy a VIta D3 1000 and it never disappeared at all .. I dont want to take any more steiroeds because I havve other problems and I dont want to escalate the issue any further.. and shock my system even more.. So I will have to go the dr this week and find out via blood work what the problem is.....
Thanks so much for your post ! (I know it was a while ago). I felt like I was going crazy until I read all the comments on reactions to Vit . D. Like most of you I have a deficiency. My doc had ordered the mega-dose pills (50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks) , but I was afraid to start that high because the prescription literature said not to take it if you had a history of an electrolyte imbalance (and I have been deficient in both magnesium and potassium in the past). So I went out and bought a higher dose liquid form of D3 by Solgar (the prescription was D2, but my D3 levels were the lowest in blood results). I noticed that my joint pain decreased so I thought I was doing well, but then I started having these odd dull headaches and woke one night with a sense of losing consciousness, and my hands went numb. When I woke my husband to take me to the E.R., I had a hard time walking (it was like my brain didn't connect with my body...my husband says it was like I was in slow motion), and I couldn't get my words out. Needless to say, very scary. My labs and testing at the hospital came out fine (they thought I may have had a mini-stroke but pretty much ruled that out). It is possible I had a small seizure ? I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow to follow up. Anyway, to make a long story short, I started noticing that I feel sick after I take the Vit. D at night. I get lightheaded, my pulse feels weak (even if my heartbeat is fast), just an overall strange feeling. So I didn't take it last night, and had a good night's sleep without the strange effects. It must be the D. I have to try the Walmart brand mentioned because I don't really know how else to bring up my very low levels. However, I have read (on about thyroid.com) that with our thyroid issues, it is best to start lower and build up as the Vit. D somehow speeds up thyroid hormone production and can create a hyper response ? (or something like that) Which would explain the palpitations in some people. Also, Vit. D and Calcium work together and affect potassium and magnesium. All of these need to be in balance or your system(esp. your heart) could get out of wack. Glad you found relief and a solution Tamra. Good Luck to everyone and wishing you good health !
My Doctor said my Vitamin D level was a 4 which was too low so he gave me Vitamin D pills plus the vitamin B12 shot.

Not long after I started breaking out in boils in certain regions of my body.  I had no clue what was causing it and the vitamins were my last thought because I didn't know we could be allergic to vitamins.  I finally ran it through my mind 2 months later after excruciating boils and did an experiment and stopped taking both the D & B12.  

The last of the boils drained and immediately went away.  Not sure which was causing it but recently had knee replacement surgery and vitamins were part of my daily meds (all in one vitamin).  On top of the pain I was going through, a BIG boil began to spring up and I'm dealing with it now and not taking any vitamins.  Even my orange juice and milk have effect on me now so.  Weird but it's my new life.  

I just happened to be in this blog to read some articles and see many people are sharing about Vit D allergies. I am a veterinarian, not a medical doctor, but I thought my comment may be helpful. Most of the time, allergies are happening due to digestion issue. In another word, when we take something and it is not digested correctly, it shows the symptoms of allergies often. Vitamin D3 is the best form of all Vit D, but still it needs to meet bile juice coming from gall bladder. If we don't have enough bile juice either because we our body cannot produce enough of it or bile duct is blocked, then it could cause this allergies symptom on top of other possible digestive symptom (e.g. bloat, constipation, etc..). So, try this. Get emulsified Vit D (One of good brand is Life Extension brand) in small strength then slowly increase it. And take ox bile/digestive enzyme/Betaine HCl product along with Vit D and food together. Also there is a test to see if  you are producing enough bile juice. Hope it helps.
Yes, I am allergic to vitamin D3 supplements.  I also tested low, and started taking a multivitamin with only 800 IU of D3.  Maybe 3 weeks later, I began itching.  I couldn't figure out what was making me itch.  It wouldn't go away so I went to the doctor, who sent me to the allergist.  Testing was inconclusive, in the meantime the itching was worse.  It was on my legs, arms and torso, little red itchy bumps.  All this time I was still taking the multi-vitamin.  After allergy testing I changed to an "allergy free" form of vitamin D3, totally different brand, 1000 IU.  (No gluten, dairy, etc in the pill).  By this point it had been many weeks of itching, I was on two different anti-histamines, it had spread to my face.  Now I also started having digestion issues, loose stools, sores in my mouth, losing weight without trying to.  At this point I was desperate, and the doctors had no idea.  They tested me for all kinds of things and nothing came up.  I put myself on an elimination diet, thinking it was a food allergy, and coincidentally also stopped taking the vitamin D as it was now summer.  (I had been miserable all winter!)  Over the summer I gradually got better.  Fall came again, and I started taking the vitamin D again.  Bam!  Within 3 days I had the same rash all over again.  This time I knew exactly what the problem was.  It was the vitamin D.  I stopped taking it immediately, but it still took several weeks for the itching to stop, and I believe this is because your body stores and circulates vitamin D for quite a while.   This all started two years ago, and it has been over a year since I have taken any vitamin D.  I am back to my normal self again.  That was the sickest I think I have ever been, all for a vitamin!  I do NOT have this reaction to the sun, so I don't believe I am allergic to the vitamin D my own body makes, just the kind made from lanolin.  I have had someone suggest that I try rubbing the liquid form on my skin rather than ingesting it to see if that would work, but I am paranoid of having the same reaction and having to deal with it again for several weeks.  I may try cod liver oil and see what happens there...
Unbelievable - I have been itching for days and it has only gotten worse each day!   Yesterday, I thought it could be the Vitamin D3 2000 IU I was taking, so I stopped yesterday - waiting to see if it helps.   Am only hoping that it helps quickly?    I had only been taking it for six weeks and noticed the itching increasing the last week or two.   That seems to be the only sympton right now, all over my body, where it gets quite red where I scratch.   From everyone's comments, it sounds like Lanolin is in Vit. D - which could be the culprit.  Same as you, I am low on D and need it where I live during the winter.........NOW what to we do to get our Vitamin D?   These comments seem to be more helpful than doctors!
My vit d levels run from 15 to 18.5.  I live in the North east.where the sun does not shine very often.  I have tried for 2 yrs to take vit D2 and/or vit D3 in different forms, different strengths and from different mfg. and special mixtures from a pharmacy.  I itch, wheeze and my mouth and lips swell.  I saw an allergist who said there were no tests for allergies to binders and fillers and he acted like I was a nut case.  Allergy testing, I reacted to latex and dust mites.  I stopped taking vit d3 for a month and as a test I restarted vit d3 one week after my allergy testing.  Day 1- I noticed nothing.  Day 2- I began to itch.  Evening of Day 2- I began to wheeze and Day 3- my lips swelled to the point that my lips stuck to my teeth.  The marks on my arms from the allergy tests taken one week earlier got red  and bumpy.  I react poorly to a lot of medications but never before to vitamins.  I do not know what the answer is and the medical profession is only as good as finding a doctor who is interested.  Thank God for the folks who have shared their experiences. At least we know we are not the only one out there with this problem.
I took lanolin-based D3 (2,500 I.U. capsules) and got VERY sick: tight chest, wheezing, swelled throat, diarrhea. As I was also taking allergy shots, I thought the shots had made me ill. NOPE: the lanolin-based D3 did it. When I discontinued the D3, I got well.

Solgar Vitamin D3 1000 I.U. comes from fish sources, not wool (lanolin) sources, and is supposed to be safe for people with wool allergies. The Solgar 5,000 I.U., though, apparently doesn't come from fish sources, so avoid that one.
My name is Jim.
I have been reading your comments. My wife had her tyroid removed a little over a year ago and just 2 weeks ago went into anaphylactic shock and stopped breathig after taking CIPRA which she has been on for some time and never had a reaction. She has developed a reaction to antiinflammatories. Does anyone have any info on what she might be alble to take in case she gets sick? Colds, flu ect.?
I also have an allergy to lanolin (sheep wool). I called the customer service number for Solgar and verified that their Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 1000 IU 250 Softgels are from a fish source and NOT from lanolin. Try these pills instead.
Hi  I am allergic to every form of vit d (2,3, liquid, gel, tabs)  now what.  Was there ever an answer to this problem.  I have tried cod liver oil and fish oils also.  I itch, wheeze and my mouth swells and my ears are ringing.  Allergist has been a waste of time and money.  No thyroid problems that have been found. I have now become super allergic from trying so many products.  I also search the net for answers.  The sun is gone from the north east for several months.  Even spending hours in the sun last summer did not raise my vit d. levels.  
Hi,  I too have been trying to raise my vit d for 2 yrs now.  I have tried cod liver oil but found that the mfg also added vit d and A to the mixture.  I have become hyper sensitive to all of the vit d and fish oil products and now fish and tuna are difficult to digest.  I have felt lousy for 2 yrs.  The allergist is of no help and my GP does not know what to do.  
Sorry to hear about your recent scare.  Medical problems with no answers are difficult.  As a person with problems with medications and vitamins I can certainly understand your concern.  I keep very specific records of allergic reactions, name of medication and mfg.  For me, generics and brand name meds are greatly different and cause different reactions.  Sometimes it takes a lot of searching, reading and record keeping to discover the answer.  A good doctor is a blessing but very hard to find. Possibly if your wife kept a journal she may discover a pattern.
Many with auto immune issues don't tolerate oral vitamin D well at all.  Mercola talks about some safe forms of tanning beds that people can use in the dead of winter that are said to provide some vitamin D benefits.  You would have to read the articles to find the correct information, because not all tanning beds are created equal.  The wrong kinds are still every bit as dangerous as we've been hearing about over the years.  He does provide information on how to find the right ones.

Then, of course, if you can tolerate safe sun exposure when the weather warms up, that is necessary, as it is still the safest.  It is important to read the information he provides, too, about sun exposure and sun screens and the like.  The wrong sun screens or applying at the wrong point in time and you will not get the vitamin D benefits and more or less waste your efforts to be in the sun.  Safe sun exposure is necessary.  But, many even in the sub tropics are suffering vitamin D deficiency, because the sun has been villified as being the cause of skin cancer.  No one wants melanoma or any other skin cancer, but you do need the sun exposure if you can tolerate it.  You definitely don't want to be sun burned, but Mercola does speak about this extensively and even how much sun exposure is needed.  He even talks about why people with darker complexions need longer sun exposure to be able to get enough vitamin D.  If you're like me, though, you may still not be able to tolerate the sun much at all at the height of summer.  Still, the information Dr. Mercola provides is very important to any who simply can't tolerate oral vitamin D.  He provides some very good common sense approaches that could prove vital for your life, because vitamin D deficiency can and does kill.  Vitamin D deficiency really did prove nearly fatal for me.  By the way, getting vitamin D from the sun is the sure fire way to never over dose on vitamin D, because the body has its own shut off mechanism in regards to getting vitamin D from the sun.
Wow these all have been so eye openinng! I've she'd many tears tonite knowing I'm n
Wow these all have been so eye openinng! I've she'd many tears tonite knowing I'm not a freak of nature and it's true I'm so allergic! I am allergic to vitamin c which is crazy to not be able to have both! My body feels like its burning from the inside out and my chest tIghtens like I'm having asthma attack and my lips swell and go numb along with my legs and arms! Very scary!  Now I'm just trying to figure out a diet  plan as well as getting my levels up from 15! I'm a migraine sufferer and asthma as well and supposed to try gluten free! So what the heck does one eat?!? Lol! Plus my many food allergies to nuts and veggies and melons cinnamon and nutmeg!
How long did your allergic reaction last?  I'm on day 4, and hoping there is some relief some time soon.
Can you tolerate rose hips?  You could try getting some dried rose hips from the bulk herb/spice/tea section.  You make it into a tea.  It's sort of sour, but it's tolerable.  I would avoid adding sweetener to the tea, though, if you can.  During WWII, many German people would use rose hips in everything they could, like soups even.  I know this because a friend of mine is from Germany who is old enough and was there.  She had many experiences that would make your hair curl that people didn't read about in the newspaper or see on the news, because she was on the east side.  Like many from that era who I know, she had to escape to the west.  Anyway, this was one way ordinary people got enough vitamin C to survive.  Actually, it's not too bad in soup.  

I have a lot of the same issues as you do.  I'm fortunate that only some nuts are bad for me.  But, I have migraine issues, too.  I started an anti-Candida diet two weeks ago, which is pretty strict.  Within the first week a lot of the brain fog lifted.  I'm noticing fewer migraines.  The anti-Candida diet should be alright for you, even with food sensitivities, because it's mostly green vegetables and meats and organic eggs.  If eggs are an issue, leave the eggs out.  Eggs might be an issue for you, too, because they are a known migraine trigger.  While on this sort of diet, stay away from spinach--another known migraine trigger.  You can flavor food with all the herbs and spices you can tolerate, but mix your own.  Pre-mixed blends often have anti-caking agents and other nasty chemicals in them.  Stay away from malto-dextrin or anything else with similar words in them, including dextrose.  These are corn sugars.  It is pointless to go on an anti-Candida diet if you don't avoid even the smallest amount.  During the first phase of the diet, you don't eat tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes or any other starchy vegetables.  No grains and no shellfish of any sort, including clams and oysters.  Usually, the latter are food allergens or food sensitivities for a lot of people anyway.  Like I said, it is very strict.  But, I think it's worth it.

What is allowed in the vegetable department is any leafy green vegetables you CAN tolerate.  Broccoli is still encouraged.  It is actually a leafy green vegetable.  Or, rather, the part you eat is more or less the flower of the green plant.  Buy organic and eat the stem portion, too.  Just peel it and slice it and you will find it is every bit as edible as the part you normally eat where the florets are.  That hefty stalk is edible, don't throw it away.  You could try making a warm broccoli pureé that is actually broccoli soup without all the additives and without all the cheese, which is not allowed.  No dairy.  Cheese is another known migraine trigger.

Make your own chicken broth.  It's easy and will save you money.  The stuff in cans and boxes has autolyzed yeast, which you don't want.  Autolyzed yeast is a fancy way to get around the MSG labeling.  MSG is a known migraine trigger.  But, you definitely don't want to add anything called yeast back into the diet when you work so hard to kill the stuff.

I do think this will help on another level, because it should help with true gut healing and help heal leaky gut syndrome, which is the main problem behind food sensitivities and new food allergies.
Don't have time to read all the posts but thought I would add this in case it hasn't been mentioned above and will help some of you.
My mother and I and 2 friends are allergic to Vitamin D3 - cholecalciferol. We had no problem with the original Vitamin D2 but the new Vitamin D3 is made from the lanolin in sheep's wool and we are allergic to wool. Apparently, the allergen in the lanolin is still in the Vitamin D3.
I ALSO HAD BEEN TOLD MY VITAMIN D LEVEL WAS LOW, AND FIRST PUT ON MEGA DOSES OF 50,000 IU, ONLY INTO MY 2ND WK., I HAD TO GO TO THE ER FOR VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, SEVERE ANXIETY AND FREQUENT URINATION@!!!

I FOUND ANOTHER DR. WHO PUT ME ON 3,000 IU A DAY, WHICH I TOOK FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS.  SUDDENLY I GOT THE SAME SEVERE SYMPTOMS AND BACK TO THE ER, THIS TIME ADMITTED ME!!!

THESE DRS. ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT VITAMIN D, BUT INSIST ON PRESCRIBING HUGE MEGA DOSES OFF LABEL AND USING US AS HUMAN GUINEA PIGS!!!!  THEY WANTED MY LEVEL TO TO UP TO 45!!!! I WAS IN THE ER AT 35~!!!  WHAT ARE WE ALL CLONES???

NOW FOR THE 3RD TIME, ANOTHER RHEUM. TOLD ME MY VIT. D LEVEL WAS ''VERY LOW'', 19-----WELL, MAYBE 19 IS RIGHT FOR MY BODY!!!!  I KNEW I SHOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED BUT SHE TOLD ME TO TAKE 1,000 IU A DAY.  I'M INTO A MONTH OF DOING IT, AND AGAIN----I'M GETTING THE SAME SYMPTOMS AGAIN, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, URINATING EVERY MINUTE AND ANXIETY!

DON'T LISTEN TO DRS. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ADMIT THEY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT VITAMIN D!  AND ONCE IT'S IN YOUR SYSTEM, IT'S STORED, SO IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET IT OUT, AND YOU HAVE TO SUFFER WITH THE BAD SIDE EFFECTS!@

I AM STOPPING THE CRAP, AND WILL NEVER TAKE IT AGAIN!
I'm not sure you realize it, and while I doubt you meant to, typing in all caps is equivalent to yelling at people; not to mention it's rather hard to read.

This is a very old thread and most of the previous posters have not participated in the forum since they posted here, so it's unlikely you will get a response from any of them.  

Vitamin D levels should be between 35 and 80; and most of my research indicates that levels near the top are best.  However, not everyone is the same and we don't all need the same levels.  You might take a lower dose, or simply not take it, if you don't have symptoms of deficiency.
The side effects you mention are magnesium deficiency side effects. Vitamin D "uses up" magnesium to convert to active vitamin D in the blood. If you do not have enough magnesium, you will suffer symptoms. I know as i already had a severe magnesium deficiency unknowingly and started 5000IU of vitamin D3 a day for 6 months. Disaster.
I am experiencing the exact same thing after starting 2000 iu of vitamin d several weeks ago. My level was a 12. Now I have all over muscle twitching, muscle cramps,weakness and today frequent urination, diarrhea on and off and  poor sleep and sense of constant anxiety . Did the er doctors explain why this would be happening? You can't possibly be experiencing toxicity at that low level, right? I am worried about my kidneys, so I am stopping the vitamin d for a week to see if there is any improvement, as my doctor suggested. I am so discouraged.
As suggested by Red_Star, get your magnesium levels tested.  Magnesium is essential for vitamin D absorption.

I am also having allergic reactions to Vitamin D..have been for over 2 years. I tried the 50,000 unit pill and I did well for about 6 months, then started to have problems in my throat, feeling like it was swelling and also experienced body aches, muscle aches and so on with the 50,000 unit but stopped it after the throat problems. I then tried a lower dose from Walgreen from Natures Bounty D3-5000 IU  and had an even severe reaction but sort of the same as the 50,0000 unit which was my throat feeling like it was swelling, and I felt like I was going to pass out..just 1 pill. I went to the Dr. yesterday and was told my Vitamin D level is very low..14.. my doctor said that she thinks I am allergic to the fish in the D3 and want me to try Vitamin D2 Vegetarian and I am really scared to try it after the last bad, bad side effect. I do have lots of allergies to medicines, especially antibiotics but I think i'm going to try it and I will post back and let everyone know how it worked out..I am going to get some today..my problem started within the first 5-10 minutes with the previous Vitamin D..well wish everyone well.
I would go easy on the D folks.  Take most hashis and you will see that most of us have low D.  It comes with the territory.  There is some research out there that says taking too much D trying to raise it up too fast can cause more issues than just supplementing with a little bit.  The body doesn't like it.  

There are some web sites out there that use this as an excuse to get you to buy into their false theories such as t4 only products are bad for everyone, everyone must take armour, you will never be able to convert if your iron is low, and if your D is low, you should not be taking meds until you get it up to a substantial level.  Be careful what you read out there, and listen to your DR. before believing some of this hype.
natural is best!!
Yes agreed.

also for all you gluten-ites, did you know that some vit D pills have gluten in them?    
Hi. I am so glad to find someone else who had the same symptoms. I also had severe muscle pain/cramping and muscle twitching. Basically I went to 2 doctors including an endocrinologist who didn'tbelieve it was a reaction to the vitamin d3. Very humiliating. I went off it and am trying the dry form of d3 but already not feeling great. I am concerned about my levels remaining low because the doctor said i will definitely develop osteoporosis.Were you told that? any info would be great . feel free to email at ***@****
I had chest pain (left sternum area) and left sided pain in the kidney/flank area. It was awful. i tried liquid drops, capsules, chewable tablets....none of them worked for me. My level is 30ng/dl. My doctor wanted me at 60. i  decided I would lay in the sun 3-4 times a week for 15 minutes instead. I live in TX so its always hot here.
I had all those symptoms and more. I also had kidney pain. Still have it. I was only on the d3 for 2 months. I started on 5000 IU capsule but switched to liquid drops after side effects started hoping the drops would be better for me. Then I tried chewable. Same side effects and getting worse. I even tried tapering down to 1000 IU and then building up slowly. Didn't work. I then tried childrens chewable 400 IUs. Still had side effects. I've given up. I'm sunning myself for 15 minutes 3 times a week. No side effects. I live in TX so its almost always hot and sunny.
i am also allergic to vitamin d at least i think i am.  i have tried taking it and every time my heart races i can't walk up stairs without stopping to catch my breath. i ended up in the hospital and they thought i was having a heart attack but that was negative.  i said the only new medication was vitamin D and they said that would not be it.  but i came off it and now i can run up the stairs and my heart is not longer racing and my bp has come down.  
I have the same problem after thyroid removal surgery. I currently have a level of 24 ng/ml. My doctor keeps telling me to take Vit. D. but I get headaches, muscle twitching, dizziness and heart palpitations. I take 180 mg. of Allegra 3x a day to keep the hives away. I'm so glad to have found this sight. I'm so frustrated! My doctors think I'm crazy. I figured its just another auto immune reaction, but I don't understand why. I take large doses of calcium because they damaged my parathyroids. I feel the symptoms mildly all the time, but they really kick up if I take the D.
I too have a vit. D. allergy. I've tried many different forms both perscribed and over the counter. I am currently at a level of 24 ng/ml. and I have a vit. D 1-25 of 31. I've decided being low is far safer than the dizziness, heart palpitations, hives, breathing issues etc.

What to do if you had the darn gall bladder removed?
The vitamin D council states that vitamin D has no known side effects.

However it is common for rising vitamin D levels to bring up symptoms of an underlying magnesium deficiency.

Histamine production rises when there is magnesium deficiency. Hives occur in response to the release of histamine into the skin. Your other symptoms of dizziness, heart palpitations, and breathing issues are also listed symptoms of magnesium deficiency.
Muscle twitches and headaches are yet another two of the many symptoms of magnesium deficiency.  It is commonly recommended to take calcium and magnesium supplements at a 2:1 ratio. If you have kidney disease check with your doctor first before starting magnesium supplements.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate, taurate, or aspartate, although malate, succinate, fumarate are also good. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea so cut back the dosage if this happens.  
Tried the magnesium with the higher dosage of D3, but it didn't work ( I was up to 1000mg/day).  I still had heart palps and breathing issues. Thought it was my heart. Went through all tests for the heart but all was normal. I was even thinking I had sleep apnea. However, I decided to stop taking all vitamins including the high dose of vit d ( i was taking 6000 iu/day) and low and behold, all symptoms subsided. These side effects happened no matter what type of vit d I took...d2, d3, pill, gel, etc. Tried all different kinds. Now im taking 1000 iu and muti vit and still feel like heart is fluttering. It's very frustrating!! I am waiting to hear from endocrinologist to see about light therapy. He said to try foods with high vit d like salmon. Not sure if I can get enough d from my salmon and milk, but I guess I can try. Feeling run down, brain fog and achy already , and I stopped the d 2 weeks ago! Good luck everyone.
You could try increasing your magnesium intake.  Magnesium citrate is the best form.  It's actually hard to overdose on magnesium when taking it orally, because if you take too much you can get diarrhea.  Well, when that happens, though, you don't need to panic.  You simply cut back on the dosage of magnesium until the diarrhea stops.

A lot of times a conventional doctor doesn't mention that you need to take magnesium WITH the vitamin D.  I have no idea why conventional medicine doesn't recognize the connection when it's not new information.  But, a lot of these guys will tell someone with vitamin D deficiency to take the vitamin D2 megadose to boost the vitamin D fast or take the vitamin D3 at a higher dose, but they leave the magnesium out of the equation.  It has been proven that magnesium is the most important mineral to help the body synthesize vitamin D.

Just about everyone I know with autoimmune issues has a very hard time supplementing vitamin D.  So, for someone to have difficulties taking oral vitamin D, this kind of issue just doesn't surprise me.  And, I know some people really are allergic to oral vitamin D supplements.  A lot of the same people with the oral vitamin D allergies also have problems being in the sun, so it's a really tough situation, because vitamin D is the key to immune function.

I just found out that my own vitamin D is low again.  Fortunately, I haven't had any major problems that a lot of people in this thread are talking about with taking oral vitamin D.  And, I do have autoimmune issues, too.  I am quite grateful that I learned about the importance of taking magnesium WITH the vitamin D early on.  Thank goodness, because I do seem to have problems keeping my vitamin D and my iron up unless I supplement them.  

FYI:  If you find yourself being told that you have iron deficiency, it is important to take vitamin C with your iron supplement.  I have to use a natural form called chelated iron, because my stomach can't handle the prescription forms.  If you can handle the prescription strength stuff, more power to you.  Just be sure you're taking it with vitamin C.  That's another one that conventional doctors don't usually tell people.  Even natural vitamin C supplements are not crazy expensive, and most of the people I know who can't take oral vitamin D seem alright with a gentle form of natural vitamin C.  It's just not the same thing that you're deficient on.  Most people who eat plenty of fresh produce aren't going to be low on vitamin C, but it's also water soluble, so taking a 500-1,000 mg capsule of vitamin C with your iron isn't going to take you into vitamin C toxicity, which is also rare.  It can happen, but it's very rare, because it's water soluble.  Vitamin C should also be taken with CoQ10.
Anyone figure out a cure for this? I suffer from the same symptoms (agitation, anxiety, heart racing, overheated feeling) from taking vitamin D, no matter what brand.

Magnesium helps but only so far. It "taps out" at a certain dose. I've taken as much as 1200mg of Magnesium Glycinate and it only proved that, while it will make me tired, it doesn't negate the vitamin D anxiety!

This all has to do with the NMDA receptor as far as I can tell. Anyone tried an NMDAR antagonist? (Campral, Memantine)? If so, please share your experience. Thanks!
I got atrial fibrillation when I had increased vitamin D intake to 100 mcg (Jan 6). I have had shortness of breath for  about two months. I dropped the vitamin D to 50 mcg, but recentlty increased again to 75 mcg. I have again  dropped it to 50, because of polyuria and thirst. I use magnesium, and my magnesium level in blood is good. I have hyperparathyroidism. Maybe those who have primary hyperparathyroidism should not take vitamin D.
I have so many of the same problems as the people on this
forum.   I have MCS, Lone AFib and thyroid autoimmune. I'm a mess.
I can't take vitamins at all.  Have your adrenals checked.  Eat
healthy. I'm on a quest.  Good Luck
I have vitamin D allergy but never had such a severe reaction. First time I found out I had it after staying in the sun for too long. I got a terrible skin reaction. Looked like acne. After that I started avoiding going out in the sun. Because of it I got vitamin D deficiency. A while ago I started taking liquid vitamin D. Also got a reaction from the drops, but than I researched a little and found out that you have start with small doses. My doc forgot to mention that. I took a few days of just to get back to normal and started taking a drop a day and eventually increasing the dose. It's worked for me.
If all fails you may want to consider joining a tanning salon.  I began using a full body tanning bed that provides UVB rays after all else eventually caused disabling reactions.  The UVB rays also cause reactions, but thus far tolerable.  I have been low D almost two years.  I do five minutes every 4 days.  Should you try the UVB rays at a tanning salon, take the time to educate yourself.  It is not altogether without risk. (My sources indicate that 1 minute on a full body tanning bed allows the body to create 800 to 1000 IU of D.)
i take vitamin d3 from swanson company they are cheaper and very well for me i just started the gel from the dr because my body lost all vitamin d she gave me 50,000 units also and i am itchy and have hives i dont know why and dont understand . but the swanson pills are not gel and i dont break out. something to look into. i know all pills from swanson are a good brand  and price is great compared to all the other brands i tried. hope this helps.
swansonhealth.com
have strange FIXED rash on my lower front neck and my lips have been getting sore and are peeling.  i have lanolin allergy and have been sporadically taking D3 2000 units daily,  as well as prescription dose of 50,000 units weekly over the past 5 weeks.  dermatologists can't figure out what is causing rash on neck with looks like typical psoriatic, eczematous allergic dermatitis and lip soreness/peeling.  one doc thought it was my toothpaste which i have been using for years.  i am on no other prescription or over-the-counter drugs.  after reading these posts, i called carlson labs and found out there IS lanolin in D3 gel caps.  i will now stop all vitamin D and see what happens.  gosh, it sure is tough to be human!
p.s.  dermatologist told me if i get natural sunshine for 20 mins a day, i will meet all vitamin D requirements.  just difficult to do that in winter months.  sigh.
Red Star is absolutely correct that the symptoms you are all describing are due to a magnesium deficiency.  Most people in the US are deficient in magnesium.  Other factors to consider also are lyme disease.  Having lyme disease will eat away at your magnesium levels and can cause joint and muscle pain.  Blood serum testing of magnesium is not accurate.  It might be best to try to get your magnesium levels up for a while before you slowly start trying to add vitamin D again.  Taking a hot bath with lots of epsom salts is also a good way for your body to absorb magnesium.  Don't forget too that you must always  also take a good natural vitamin K along with vitamin D.  
Taking magnesium transdermally, using Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion (or Swanson's). A much faster way to build up magnesium levels, and we excrete it fairly quickly...from all sorts of stress. So I also use lotion as maintenance.
In the Transdermal Magnesium book, there is an assumption that epsom salts baths may be a better source of sulfur (we need that mineral as well), than magnesium, due to the different form of magnesium.

Interesting discussion above. There is an assumption of an allergic reaction to D3. Had muscle aches all winter (first season I took D3) until I finally realized the source and stopped. Found listed by the Univ of MD posting that this is one of numerous "Symptoms of Excess D3". It seems D3 is oil-soluable, and is stored in body fat. If you have any symptoms, suggest checking out that posting and stop taking D3 for a while, and increasing intake of K-2 (MK-7 variety). Kefir (homemade from milk from organic whole grass-pastured cows) is another good source of K-2. We are all missing K-2 to some degree. K-2 directs calcium from foods to where the body needs it, and magnesium keeps calcium in suspension, and not precipitating out where you do not want it (arteries, kidneys and joints).

Took a while to put these pieces together. If you experience heart palpitations, please do your own research starting with Dr Sinatra's "HeartMD" website and the Hans Larsen Afibbers website.
OMG!  Thank you for posting that!  I have had the same experience and have found nothing on the web about it.  I've tried 3 different times to treat my low d with different levels and types of supplements, no luck.  Each time all of those same symptoms got worse.  MUCH WORSE!  Have any new info?
I believe that the Solgar 1000 IU softgels *must* contain lanolin.  If you search the Internet, you will find that one teaspoon of fish oil (e.g., cod liver oil) contains a minuscule amount of vitamin D.  In my opinion, the only way Solgar could get that amount of vitamin D in their small capsules would be if a lanolin-based source of vitamin D had been added to the fish oil.

I have NOT been able to identify any other supplement company that sells a fish oil-sourced vitamin D product that does NOT contain lanolin.  How plausible is it that Solgar is the only company that is able to do so?
Other clues that the Solar 1000 IU softgels product contains lanolin:

1) Fish liver oil is the *fourth* ingredient listed, after safflower oil, gelatin, and vegetable glycerin.  This means that less than 25% of the contents of a capsule is fish liver oil.

2) The last ingredient is "cholecalciferol."  There would be no need to include cholecalciferol as an ingredient if it were only a component of the fish liver oil.
Hi all - reading the above, the symptoms many describe, such as palpitations, frequent urination, breathlessness, anxiety, lethargy, depression etc - are signs of vitamin D/calcium toxicity. Remember that vitamin D increases calcium absorption. Some people with low vitamin D may test low because the body is actually protecting itself from absorbing too much calcium. Calcium can be high for different reasons but is never normal - please make sure your calcium levels are tested at the same time, every time.

Additionally, some oils used in softgels are known allergens - e.g. safflower and sunflower oils are both related to daisy/ragweed, and highly likely to cause a reaction in people who suffer hayfever or allergic rhinitis. Reactions can include swelling in face or mouth, asthma or difficulty breathing, etc etc.

Glycerin is another ingredient to be wary of, and another possibility is the gelatin capsule (dry vitamins) and/or other fillers such as magnesium stearate - these can contain traces of the potentially allergenic sources they were derived from. Magnesium stearate is generally derived from "vegetable" sources though it's never specified what.

Many manufacturers label products hypoallergenic, gluten free etc - however, unless they've made the entire supplement from scratch themselves, it's doubtful they'd know the origins of all ingredients. Unless the label states something like "formulated to be free from..." or similar, I'd ask the manufacturer (though more often than not they won't reply or may answer evasively).

One more thing to bear in mind - many things state they're free from yeast and wheat, but seldom mention bacteria or mold - these can also be problematic to people with compromised immune systems, and are used to make many supplements.

If you are taking any vitamin D - whatever you do, be careful taking supplemental calcium as well (including calcium fortified food). Lethargy, frequent urination, headaches, muscle aches and pains, tight chest feeling - none of these are normal and are signs of toxicity. Stop taking one or both as soon as any of these symptoms develop.

All the best,
R
Hi into_the_mystic - have you contacted Solgar to ask? I've found them to be good at responding to queries about their products. Bluebonnet also make a 1000iu fish liver oil vitamin D using soy oil instead of safflower.

Have you tried piercing the softgel and mixing the oil into food or something to take it, thereby avoiding the softgel?

Depending on what the reaction is, maybe it's something else altogether (e.g. vitamin D needs other synergists - are these also being supplemented in sufficient amounts if taking high amounts of vit D?).

Another possibility is that the vit D is stimulating an already over-stimulated immune system and any other allergens in the formulation are also causing a reaction (e.g. safflower can be a problem for hayfever, asthma, allergic rhinitis, etc).

Sorry, perhaps not that helpful...

R
P.S. Forgot to mention - the vitamin D's from fish liver oil don't generally use cod liver, but one or a combo of other fish liver oils in which the amount of vit D is more concentrated, e.g. halibut. Essentially it's been concentrated and the vitamin A removed - that process may also lead to something being left behind.

R
I have been taking supplements containing vitamin D for two years, not realising the chronic depression, runny nose, chronic joint and bone pain was related to this. I have been back and fore the doctors for the last few months , but nothing will get through to them that my symptoms are related to vit D supplements. My face started to change when I began to take the supplements but I couldn't pin point that this was the cause. In two years my skin has aged significantly. I now think I am allergic to Vit D . I am also very concerned that I was pregnant and breastfeeding while taking the supplements . Although they only contained 100 IU of vit D and were recommended for during the second and third trimester and nursing, the baby stopped growing in my womb at around 8 months - It is only now that I am putting all the pieces of the puzzle together.
It is more than frustrating as everyone thinks that I am crazy for thinking vit D could do this to me and I have been treated for ;mental health' issues instead of addressing the fact that I have all the symptoms of Vitamin D allergy/overdose.
Thanks for your interest and help!

I cannot take *any* vitamin D product that contains lanolin.  I react to even the liquid vitamin D drops that contain very few additional ingredients.

I did contact Solgar and was informed (by email) that ALL of their vitamin D products contain lanolin.

If you know of any vitamin D products that are sourced from fish oil (and contain NO added lanolin), would you please post that information here?

I have read that there is one brand that makes vitamin D from mushrooms, but I am allergic to mushrooms, too.

I have an autoimmune condition that prevents me from being able to get my vitamin D from the sun.

Thanks!

You are not alone regarding your reactions to vitamin D.  I, and others, have the same problem.  I cannot tolerate any product that contains lanolin.

I am going to try a lichen-sourced vitamin D3 product made by Vitashine to see if I can tolerate that.
My vitamin D is really low, too.  11, in fact.  I've had many of the symptoms, of course. I tried many different D3 supplements and felt worse once I took them.... even with a low dose of 100IU. After doing some research, I found out that the D3 I was taking (Cholecalciferol) is lanolin based... and I'm allergic to wool!  So, I am allergic to that particular form of it!  I found a VEGAN version (made by Country Life)... made from lichen... and tada!  I can tolerate it now! I take 5000 IU a day for a month now, and I am starting to feel better. I'll go in for blood work soon to make sure it's getting better/not too high, but I have such a long way to go to get to normal levels. I hope this helps you!  
None of the previous posters on this thread are currently active on the forum, so it's unlikely that anyone will respond.  It's good to have that information, though, in case someone else has the same/similar issues.