Thyroid Disorders Community
are bite problems and hypothyroidism related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

This question might sound weird, but believe it, when you are not feeling well on medicines yet you start to think anything can be possible, even your bite, yes your bite can be causing problems.

I went to the dentist the other day for a different matter and he said he would not fix anything until I got my bite fixed. He said I had dental malocclusion and asked about pain in my jaw or headaches.

Well, I have been complaining of headaches and ear pain on one side of my head for the last 10 years (I have been hypo longer than that, but I am getting worse by the years). And that is the side of my bite that needs to be fixed.

Then I started to do more research and found this awkward article about dental malocclusion and hypothyroidism and how related they are. Actually people with severe malocclusion had almost the same symptoms of a hypothyroid person.

Call me crazy but after I started my treatment for my bite, to loosen up first, I became tired again, sleeping terrible and having acne again. Now, this can be just a coincidence because 6 weeks ago I had to reduce my dose and go into this insane alternate dose which I hate because I think it is messing up my "stability".

Anyway, does anybody have any information or experience related to hypo and dental malocclusion?
I would love to know.

I read that people whose malocclusion was fixed (and was under treatment for hypo) had to stop thyroid medicine because now the gland was working properly, according to lab test and symptoms.
bump
Can't say I have seen any connection to them, but anything is possible.

I have always had an overbite and no-one ever told me it was to do with hyperthyroidism. I have an extremely good dentist who is quite clued up on thyroid disease, and he prefers to do major work on patients when not hypo as he finds the pain level is less tolerated when hypo.

From what I have seen on the net, it doesn't appear to be a hypo related issue, more a hereditary one.  I think you will find it is just coincidental.
Hi, Very strange!! my bite has been off since i become Hypo.
Well,  I have been looking for the article I read. I thought I had it on my favorites, but can't find it.

I'll try again tomorrow and I will posted here.

There is some info available.
I even broke a tooth because of my Occlusion being off