Thyroid Disorders Community
became allergic to bacitracin??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

became allergic to bacitracin??

I notice a rash over the weekend near the incision and around it. It started where the drain tube was. At first I thought maybe it was the baby soap that I used but then every time I put bacitacin the area would get red like razor burn rash type. I was using bacitracin 5x daily as per instructed by my surgeon since Aug 28. I cut down on the bacitracin to see if it would help being that I still have few more disolvable stiches there and even switched to neosporin. Still no help. So today I gave up and call my surgeon and left him a message with the nurse and she said she or he will call me back as soon as he gets back to the office being that he is in surgery around 1pm. I stopped using the bacitracin until he calls me and starting using 100% cocoa butter stick and it feels so much better-no more itching and its starting to look alot better also. Can it be that I used it so much that my body has started to reject it now? Its been 3 weeks as of today,I think its time to switch to cocoa butter or aloe now. You can hardly see the scar(the cut line),the area is still raised and starting to flatten out now. Has anyone became allergic to bacitracin or is allergic to bacitracin? Is there some sort of alternate of bacitracin that works the same or should I stick with just cocoa butter?
I've not had surgery, so this may be a dumb question: Are you wearing any kind of bandage? I ask because I get the same type of reaction from the adhesive in pretty much any kind of bandage.

If not, and you're convinced it's the Bacitracin, I'd stay away from it. You can develop an allergy at any time, and yes, overexposure can create an intolerance/allergy.
The same thing happened to me after surgery same area everything. My doctor told me not to put anything on it right now let it heal up. I also switched to neosporin. It will get better I took bendryal as mine would itch as well and was starting up my neck. Doctor told me to add to my list of allergic med's. Good Luck-Pam
I haven't used any bandage since the third day of surgery. The only time I use something is when I go outside and if its sunny out. I just need to keep it cover from the sun if I am outside and I just use a light neck scarf. I am very convinced it's the Bacitracin so I stopped using it this morning and started using cocoa butter.
Bacitracin and Neosporyn and all those otc antibiotic creams can actually cause an allergic reaction with cont'd use .... oftentimes they prefer antibiotics by mouth if necessary vs. the topical reactions!  I've been told ok to use but not beyond a week or 10 days tops as it can do more harm than good.

C~
Did you use bendryal cream or took a pill? I don't know if I can take bendryal pill due to heart and stomach problem but I will ask when he calls me maybe I can use the bendryal cream. Thanks for the info. I will let you know when he calls me.
I got a call from my doctor's office and told me not to use the bacitracin or neosporin. He said that I am having a reaction from it. He told me not to use anything on it and let it heal on its own. I asked about using cocoa butter and told me not to use it now and to wait. If it get worse to call him and he will give me cortisone cream but for now let it heal on its own.
I was hospitalized for a supposed infection in my leg just recently.  The biopsies that were taken report that the contact dermatitis is from a topical ediology.  I have used Neosporin, and Bacitractin all along for years, and have never had a problem.  

I took a fall and scratched my leg on a rusted metal fence.  They admitted me when I experienced chills, sweats, and vomiting.

The would is now super dry, and cracking, what do I do now.  Aloe Vera would sting like crazy.

When I had surgery they put a clear tape over the wound and said it would fall off after a week or so.  Well it did fall off, maybe with a bit of help, but I started using vitamin E oil or 100% aloe gel and the scar is looking really good.  
Neosporin has Bacitracin in it so if you are allergic to bacitracin you are allergic to both.  My son needs prescription ointment like Bactriban for cuts and wounds due to this allergy.
I haven't checked the ingredients.  I have started using Mederma.  (spelling?)  They advertise it for scars.  Every dr that has looked at my scar is impressed.  As I said before, I just started using the vitamin e oil.  
Mederma is a great product for most people. Unfortunately, I had a reaction to it. I have very sensitive skin. But it does not have any antibiotic properties to it, as far as I know. At the pharmacy I work in, we no longer sell neosporin or its generic due to reactions.
We do sell polysporin, which has 1 less antibiotic ingredient in it. It's the middle of the night, literally, here, so please don't ask me which one it is. I'm numb right now. Anyway, even if I could use it, Mederma isn't meant to fight infection, just to keep a wound or scar moist, which helps it heal and be less noticeable.
My docs suggested no antibacterial ointment .. you can build up resistance/allergy to it and can cause other problems.  Usually with neosporyn moreso than bacitracin but it's possible I was told.

Vitamin E and/or Vaseline is a good bet

C~
partial 1/07
I had two moles removed, one on my back and one by my lip.  They were small and simple procedures. My dermatologist said use any antibiotic ointment.  I used Generic triple antibiotic. I got red bumps all around it two days later. I stopped applying it on my back but loaded on my face.  Yes my face worsened and my back got better.  I went in yo see my dermatologist and he said he was going to stop recommending that ointment because of an ingredient in it, Bacitracin.  I've never been allergic to anything in my life, but I guess you can develop things with age huh? idk. So he gave me Topicort from his office, Desoximetasone Ointment. my allergies were gone almost that same day! Now I know.
A little Internet research will reveal that Bacitracin was named Allergen of the Year in 2003. Unfortunately, I used it for a month on my right arm, along with Hibiclens antiseptic soap (which contains isopropyl alcohol, to which I am dreadfully sensitive, but the soap was on my skin only briefly each day), peroxide, non stick pads, gauze and tape. It was necessary to prevent infection because the hood of my Acura, a 2000 TL but with only 65,000 miles on it, unexpectedly came down on my right arm and left wrist when I was attempting to fill the windshield wiper receptacle. (No prop rod in the Acura design to hold the hood up, and the hydraulic struts showed no sign of fluid leakage but failed anyway.) I had to extract myself and sustained only a small, quickly disappearing bruise to my left wrist but tore the skin back in four places on my right arm. They asked me at the hospital if I was allergic to Bacitracin. I replied, "Beats me!" Basically, I avoid all such things but at that point I really couldn't.

I thought that the red places that soon appeared on my arm were from the Hibiclens soap I was using, as that's hot pink in color. But when I just couldn't stand the dressings anymore and tore them off one day, I realized that my arm was fiery red and had welts wherever the Bacitracin had gone. My internist confirmed an allergic reaction but couldn't help because the steroidal ointment he recommended contained alcohol, as do most such "remedies."

I bought an oloe vera plant and used the gel from inside the leaf for a couple of days. Then I recalled that a year earlier a dermatologist had given me Fluocinolone Acetonide Ointment USP, 0.025% and figured, since this ended in "one," it must be a cortisone ointment and one I could tolerate, as I had used it before. I've been using it for about 3 days now, though, and can't see that it's doing any more good than the oloe vera. In fact, I'm itching all over and also feeling somewhat queasy and shaky. So it's back to the aloe vera. None of this is really a big surprise. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity--and have had it since 1985 when they were renovating my high-rise office building in Washington, D.C., painting right around employees during office hours without any extra ventilation. The Fluocinolone seems fairly pure--just the corticosteroid stuff in a mineral oil and white petrolatum base. But I suspect that the Bacitracin is in a similar base and believe if you've become hypersensitive to the active ingredient you may then also have become hypersensitive to a previously innocuous carrier.

It's back to the aloe vera for me. And yes, I do have pure cocoa butter too. It's generally soothing and besides, it makes you smell like chocolate. Ummm. It's greasy, though, which the aloe vera right from the leaf isn't. It dries and forms a film so that you can sleep with it without getting your bedding all greasy.

Good luck, all! Whatever it is, remember: this too shall pass!