bioidentical thyroid?
Hi everyone

I have been on a british thyroid forum and someone asked if anyone had heard of bioidentical thyroid (Apparently it is a pure form of thyroid medication (not animal based)? and is widely used in the US.
If anyone has heard of it and can find a website, i would be happy to pass on the information.
many thanks x
If you google bio-identical thyroid medication you'll find a bunch of different places to get info. I didn't read them, maybe they will help you.

logical
Bioidentical thyroid medication is a T-4/T-3 supplement that doctor prescribes as a special ratio between the two or that the two are exact in proper relationship/dosage to each other. i.e. Bio-identical hormones are prescription drugs that are produced by compounding pharmacies as customized products.
There are very few pharmacies that due this.  However, some are trying to out law the procedure.
I have read more in relationship to Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (HRT), estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone replacement that is a method used to help treat the symptoms of menopause, and other hormone imbalances.
I will not list sites unless government,  medical, or reputable thyroid org.  So far I have not found one relating to the subject. Not that one is not out there, I just haven't come across it (them) as yet.

Thank you so much for the info. I will pass it on.
Just T4/T3 does not replace your body with the full compliment of hormones that a healthy thyroid produces.  Along with T/4 and T/3 the thyroid is the main source of calcitonin which works to prevent osteoporosis and can rebuild bone in osteoporosis. This is a significant reason for using porcine thryoid medication as opposed to T4/T3 meds.  Calcitonin is extracted by pharmacies from many animal sources and used theraputically to treat osteoporosis.  It is very safe and effective but is being overshadowed by (cheap to manufacture, big money making, dangerous side effect) drugs like Boniva.  If you take the natural thyroid and you will have all your bases covered.  Often people have trouble taking any meds containing T3 because their adrenals are worn out and cannot perform their function of helping T3 be absorbed into the cells.  This will raise blood levels of T/3 on lab testing.  Please be aware of the need for 24 hour adrenal saliva testing to determine if you need to take small doses of cortical hormones at normal physiologic levels until your adrenal glands have had a chance to recover.  If you have poor adrenal function and take any T3 meds, synthetically produced or not, you are likely to experience symptoms which are often interpeted as a drug reaction or overdose.  These facts are usually are poorly understood by most doctors.  People must educate themselves to get safe and adequate care when dealing with health practioners.