Thyroid Disorders Community
blood tests

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

blood tests

why would one have a high calcium level in a blood test?  Mine was 11.2.  My doctor sent a note to stop taking calcium supplements - I never take any calcium supplements and I hate milk.  Should I follow up on this or is it just something that happens from time to time?  thank you.
You must see what is causing it, specially that you're not taking supplements and you don't drink milk), briefly: the amount of calcium in the body depends on the amount of:

Calcium you get in your food .
Calcium and vitamin D your intestines absorb.
Phosphate in the body.
Certain hormones, including parathyroid hormone, calcitonin, and estrogen in the body.
I have this issue too and the doctors refuse to believe how lactose intolerant I am!  It's weird, but their first response is always to stop taking supplements and drink less milk...hmmmm.  I've never had anyone tell me why, but thanks to estrelinha I think we both found some reasons!  :)  

Good luck and post if you find out why.  
Avatar n tn
High Calcium levels can be due to hyperparathyroidism. Check out parathyroid.com. You might have a parathyroid tumor that's producing too much PTH which is causing your blood calcium levels to go high. 11.3 is pretty high and it's never normal. Please check out the website..