Thyroid Disorders Community
breakfast, when and what

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

breakfast, when and what

Guys I have another question to ask.  I take my synthroid at 7:00 am.  I like to eat oatmeal (boxed) for breakfast.  It has vitamens in it.  I also like to eat yogurt for breakfast.  I am GF and the choices are more limited.  I would like to know how soon do you eat or take your vitamins and what do you eat.  Do you eat yogurt or oatmeal.  If so how long after synthroid do you eat.  I am eating jello with oranges in it right now and even it has vit. c in it.  Hope you have some good suggestions.   love linda
It is recommended to wait 1/2 -1 hous after taking Synthroid before you eat.

As long as you are consistant, you can eat what you want in relation to the meds.

It is the calcium, magnesium and iron in a multi that can bind the medication. Don't worry about vitamin C interferring.
I was told to wait at least 4 hours to take calcium or any multi-vitamins after taking thyroid meds.
It's mostly the calcium that binds the Synthroid.  The key is to be consistent.  I take my meds every morning with coffee.  As long as I do it every day my meds are adjusted for that.  
PLEASE pretty please tell me you use creamer in your coffee!  I would love to go back to "wake up and smell the coffee ;-)  YAAA" verses waking up to plain old water for an hour :-( urgg  LOL  

I never thought about the med getting adjusted to it;  I just thought you couldn't have it anymore until your hours time was up due to the creamer or milk.  That is like a sentencing for me!  JAVA JAVA JAVA  My kitchen is even done up in a wake up a smell the coffee theme.  LOL  Squirming in my seat hoping I'm hearing you correct that that sentence is up...........Amy
I do use creamer - not cream but that yummy french vanilla flavored stuff.

Yeah hon, wake up and smell the coffee.  :-)
Yippie. Ya.  "Doing the JAVA dance as I speak".  LOL  You don't know how much you just made my night, days, years and wait.........life!  Hot digity dangg.  Whoops.  Yea!!!!  This calls for some special beans in the morning.  Time to celebrate.  I bet my husband will be happy too.  I'm a bear until I get my 2 cup quota.  LOL

By the way I like the international ones too.  Hope you are feeling better tonight.  
(((((((Big hugs)))))))   Amy
thanks Kitty for the answers.  I didn't see the vit c and yogurt has vit c but ugh I think it also has calcium.  I am back to eating my oatmeal in the morning.  I have been doing that for a long time.  Also eat when I feel like fixing it bacon and eggs.  No vitamens in that on fat and grease but I love it.  It is also GF.  I drink decaf coffee with a little tiny bit of organic milk while waiting my hour to eat.  I haven't seen any trouble.   I believe I read somewhere on here where someone split their synthroid - I hope they see this and comment on it.  I seem to be doing ok with it at this point.  I have made myself a photocopied list of all meds and vitiamens and herbs with time taken and it is taken the worry off of me.  I do assisted living and this is the way I do my ladies meds and it works - without it I couldn't do it as they take over 12 meds a day and I am up to that with all the supplements.   glad all of you can have your coffee , shame shame on the caffiene.  only kidding.    linda
I was told to avoid any dairy products within the four hours of taking my medication as it will interfere with it. Any thoughts?
I have never heard that. It is the calcium supplement that will bind the med more so than any food.
As long as you are consistant with how you take the med, it is OK.
I wait 1/2 hr and have gotten used to it, Was hard for me in the beginning.
The hardest thing in the beginning was the coffee.  And I'm with Utah.  I wait an hour then I drink the french vanilla stuff (ok, so right now it's the powdered stuff...darn LID!) in my coffee.  I've so gotten used to taking my shower and getting ready first.  Then doing the whole coffee thing.  I take (when I can remember), calcium in the afternoon or evening.  That's the only hard part for me.  Making sure to remember the vitamins later in the day so they don't conflict with the thyroid.
I switched to taking my Synthroid right before bed so that I can eat whenever I want in the am.  My doctor recommends this and says that patients tend to do better when they take it at night since it stays in your system longer.  He says that you're more likely to absorb more Synthroid even if you take it right after you eat and than go to bed than if you take it first am and wait up to 2 hours before eating.  I decided to switch and not only do I feel better, but can eat as soon as I wake up.  Win-win.
That is very interesting.  How much do you take and how long have you been doing this.  Was it your endo that told you to do this.  I might ask my doctor about doing this.  I take such a small amount.  37.5  .  I like the idea of night time.  Divided is a pain in the neck because I must remember the middle of the day.  That way I could take my vitamens and calcium anytime during the day.   Good Idea.   linda
I am currently on 150mcg 8x's weekly (I double up on Wednesdays).  I switched to taking it at night by mistake one day and INSTANTLY felt better.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  My Endo suggested it a while ago, but it wasn't until I told him I had started taking it at night and was enjoying less symptoms that he told me that he finds people tend to do better taking them at night.  The online research I did suggested that since motility slows down while you sleep the meds stay in your bloodstream longer.  Plus, you have less chance of food interacting, etc.  Try it!  Can't hurt :)