Aa
A
A
Close
calcium level 10.6
What does it mean to have a calcium level of 10.6?  I was told that it was high and should stop all calcium supplements.  
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
499534 tn?1328707778
You need further testing to check your parathyroid glands. They are probably pulling you off all calcium supplements and retesting when???? Make sure they don't ignore this!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
231441 tn?1333896366
Hi,

they should take you off all calcium and Vitamin D supplements, then they need to test calcium and intact-PTH (Parathyroid Hormone).

based on this result they would then need to do additional testing.  Can be 24-hr urine test, bone density, maybe scanning of the parathyroids, plus some others.

Yes, don't let them brush this under the carpet.  High calcium is never normal.  Let us know how you go.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
The most important tests are serum calcium, ionized calcium and PTH. Scans and 24 hour urines can result in false negatives.

Any kidney stones or bone issues? Heartburn, GERD, fatigue, increased blood pressure, constipation....these can all be signs of parathyroid disease.

For a VERY comprehensive overview of parathyroid disease, hosted by, IMHO, Dr. Norman, the world's leading expert in parathyroid and surgery, go to www.parathyroid.com

Dr. Norman consulted with me personally about the disease when my PTH was high.

:) Tamra
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources