Thyroid Disorders Community
can you be hosimotos thyroiditis and later turn graves hyperthyroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

my daughter was 11 and was told she has hoshimots put on levoxly for 2 yrs,taken off meds for 3 yrs..now last month she developed graves..hyperthyroid...she was put on methimazole 10 mg...can it switch from one to the other?can it switch back to underactive on its own?
In a way...yes.

Hashimoto's can turn into Grave's if TSI antibodies develop.

Hyperthyroidism can become hypothyroidism, but not if Grave's is firmly diagnosed. I suppose it is theoretically possible for Grave's to vanish if the TSI antibodies go away, but I have never heard of that happening.

Then there is what I had, which is unusual. You can read about it in my journal.