Thyroid Disorders Community
chest pains with thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

chest pains with thyroid

My question is will or can your chest hurt off and on for days with this problem? I was in the hospital had all the test except a stress test done on my heart everything came back good, when they did my blood test my t3 level came back good my t4 leverl came back a little low at 30, and me tsh level came back as 10.18, they told me I had hypothyroid and gave me sythroid 50 mcg. I have now been taking this med for three days, I am still really tired and my chest hurts above the breast and sometimes right in the breast, I know the meds will take up to 2 weeks to kick in, but is it common to have these pains in the chest with hypothyroid?
Tags: pains
not really, it could be related anythings possible, but Im a firm believer with chest pains check it out I,f they run down your arm, you have tingling in extremity's have a metallic taste in mouth, feel a crushing feeling I would 100% get to er asap.

I have hashimotos which is a form of hypr thyoid my higest tsh was a 8 and Iam on .100mcg syntroid,  I have had tingling in fingers when I forget my meds but your chest pains concern me, better safe tha  sorry will you please call your doctor andtell him  whats happening, maybe all you need is a quick ekg to rule out anything, but ya know female heart symptoms are tricky,,,,call your dr.!!!!!
Thats what I was thinking too but I did all the blood work ekg ecko and wore a heart monitor for 24 hours and everything came back good. I know that your muscles ache with thyroid but I didn't know if the muscles in your chest could ache with it, chest pains scare me and I am afraid to do anything.
The same thing happens to me! To the point that I cant lay on my back when I sleep I also had all of these tests done and they said everything was great. My doctor told me it was most likely stress but this has been going on for a while. Do you get like sharp pains in your breasts and chest??
I went tot he er and have had cardiologist check me all out because I suffer from chest pains, radiating pain and tingling on the left arm and shoulder and heart palpatations. It is not constant but flares up every few months and tends to stay for a long while. They all said my heart was just fine and said that it was probably because I was hypo.
I had the same problem. I am Hashi/hypo. My highest TSH was 202 post-pardum. About a month ago, I had chest pains that wouldn't go away. My dr sent me to the ER for the full battery of tests and everything was normal. Two days later I had my appt witht he rheumatologist (follow-up) and asked her to run some tests. Turns out I had a vitamin D deficiency. Once I started taking the Vitamin D supplement, the pain went away. I also think that my dosage was too high, 125 mcg of synthroid daily. When I was taking the full dose I was sick as a dog. My endo refused to lower it so now I cut them in 1/2 and I am awaiting the appt with the new endo.

Maybe the dosage is too high? Maybe have them check for vitamin deficiencies? I know how scary it is but if you feel comfortable with the test results and aren't too worried, give your dr a call and ask for some additional bloodwork.

Good luck!
I get this chest pain too and I am hypo.  It comes and goes I also get palps after numerous visits to ER and a battery of ecg's, chest xrays and blood tests I have been told that there is nothing wrong with my heart, not that it stops you being anxious about it (another symtom) The pain does come and go and often is high in my chest and sometime high in my back between my shoulders, sometimes it's a sharp pain sometimes a dull ache.  Stress definitley aggravates this and sometimes i can't sleep on my back either.  Obviously anyone with chest pain should get it checked out immediatley but after all the tests my gp believes that it's just another hypo symptom.
I have been told I am early hyper only abnormal thing is tsh of .5 and thyroid ultrasound shows i have swelling and prominent blood flow in thyroid.  

My chest hurts a lot.  I have also been to the er and had echo, ekg and regular stress test and holter monitor when they kept me for observation.  They all were ok.  A new cardiologist i saw today is going to repeat the echo and holter monitor since i did not have palps last time.  I think it is related to having thyroid issues.

Mine are pains that hurt in the middle of my breast area and near my left breast  on the side and in my shoulder sometimes.  I do occasionaly get tingling in that arm.  I also get palps and racing heart and shortness of breath.

I also got my vit d and b12 checked.  Both were low. D25 was around 21 I believe.  I have received 2 b12 shots and now I am going to take D3 supplements.  Maybe this will help some.
I think a lot of my chest pains are anxiety. Took me a long time to figure that out. I used to have bad palpitations and racing heart early on--before seeing a doctor and early into treatment for my Graves'--but today I have occasional pains that just fade away after eating a healthy dose of Xanax. I'm like AR--I don't care if I'm getting hooked on it or not. For ACUTE anxiety attacks, it's the only quick fix.
I think some of mine might have been due to stress/anxiety as well but I think it was caused by overmedication. My endo refuses to drop my synthroid from 125 because my TSH is fine. He never runs free t3 or free t4. So, I found a new endo that I see in 2 weeks. In the meantime, the vitamin D has helped a lot and I have been cutting my synthroid in 1/2 everyday. That seems to help. However, I don't know what that is doing to my numbers. I know that sometimes I feel like **** and other days I am fine. The fatigue is the worst part. :(  I am looking forward to the new endo that specializes in thyroid and hoping she will listen. I asked my dr for xanax and he wouldn't give it to me...says I can deal.
little ed and bn crump,

I think this disease gives you so much anxiety that it may cause chest pains.  I was tking xanax for this as well but it wore off quickly so now I take a low dose of klonopin everyday.  I do not think I would be functioning without it.  I do not want to get addicted but its like you have no choice with this disease.  I went to a psych doc to get it.  My endo suggested I get gp to prescribe it and she said psych doc has to.
There is a difference in these type of cardiac situations.

First off Hypothyroidism can cause calcifications. There may be nothing showing on the labs and tests now - but in time if you are not regulated you can develope heart disease.  

Also inflammation of joints and muscles can also be a symptoms of Hash/hypo - and it can inflame in the chest area whcih can minic cardiac problems.

Along with the stress that is a major symptom in this disease - the inflammation can be very bothersome ( and worrying) too.

Anxiety meds as Little Ed says seems to help - because it lowers the stress level - but it does nothing to solve the possible swelling or inflammation in the chest area.

You may want to get a magnesium test to see if you are deficient. If you are - which many are - that could help you.  Even attempting to try a magnesium citrate supplement may help.

Talk to your doctor.
I am sure you just made a typo in your sentence regarding Hashimoto being hypr.

For clarification Hashimoto is associated with hypothyroidism.
Regarding chest/heart related issue to HypoT:  

How do you really know which is which when you have both heart related issues and are Hypo both?    

The symptoms you all describe explain is how I feel most of the time.  The chest/ back pains and spasms are terrible along with the edema and muscle aches threw out my body at times.  I've tried to watch my BP and HR to tell what's going on but mine is like a roller coaster at times.  LOL  I've had these symptoms for ~ 5 yrs now and have been taking thyroid med's for ~ 6 months now.  Then they say to watch your temp.  But when your in alot of pain it will drive up your temp and BP/HR.  I cannot lay on my left side though and have to lay on my back with my head elevated due to the massive palps at times.  It also makes my nose bleed and my eyes sometimes looks like a wagon wheels.  

I know some of this is heart related and some may be Hypo related. I've just learned to try to deal with it.  My question is:  Is there anyway to tell the difference?  Some kind of clue.  Just curious?
I was supposed to see an electrophysiologist also, because Endo #3 says the EKGs show an "inherited short PR interval," which he claims isn't too serious. I haven't scheduled that yet. I just DO NOT want permanent heart damage and I wish I had seen a "better" endo to start with, because the two years with #1 were all wear and tear on me and my body and mind.
Thank you all for your advice, I have only been taking the meds now for 6 days so I am going to give it some time and see how I feel after a few weeks, my biggest problem now is the worring and stress I have, if I can't just get my faith back I might be ok....
Hello, I have had hypothyroid since Oct. 09 33 years old. I started having chest discomfort. I ended up one night going to the ER. He discharged me, said that I was having a panic attack. I was mad. I have never had a hx of anxiety or panic attacks. Anyone knows me, knows that I am the most easy going laid back person that lives in fatih. I am tired of doctors putting labels when their is possible medical reasons. I am a counsleor and I try to practice what I preach when it comes to coping with life. Not to say that I am not vunerable to an anxiety disorder. After several months later all my heart test came back normal. I did find out that I was very low in Vit D too. I did end up in th ER, a second time. I was severly constipated and had a yeast infection. I am so glad to hear all of your stories because I know I am not alone with these chest pains and their not in "our heads" To many of us suffer. They need to do more studies why there is a common symptom of chest pain. I tell you this has been a long journey for me. I did see a hormone sepcialist. He gave me some natural herbal vitamins that really helped, and I can tell a differnce in my energy and body aches when I have not taken them in awhile. Try adrenal rebulider

Along with a complex Vit B1, B2, etc

At night I take 1 tab Seriphos, really helps me sleep

All natural herbal, I do not work for any of these co, I am just telling they have really helped me, but check with your doctor.
I also take Metropol (blood pressure and anxiety) and my Lex for thyroid.  Activan(anxiety) as needed for anxiety to deal with the chest pain. I also take one mulitvitam, one vit D and two to three fish oils a day. Today I can honestly say, I am doing much better, less chest pain and body aches, more energy, less headaches, I still have my days, especailly with the chest pain, but very few in between. I hope I have helped. Don';t let those Doctors convince you that you have mental problems, that only makes things worse becasue you start to think you start to beleive and it does manifest inot reality. (please excuse spelling gram, wrote fast.)
Chest discomfort can be a number of things....hypo (which sometimes leaves you finding it hard to take in a deep breath), hyper which can cause fast heartrate), anxiety.

When you feel like an elephant is sitting on yr chest and the shoulderblades on yr back feel like there is a knife in between them...that is time to call an ambulance.
But as I always say...if in doubt, check it out.

Dont ever be afraid of getting chest pain checked..
I have been off thyroid meds for about a year and I was hypo and my levels are still normal, but this pain on the right sideof my chest every nite alway into my back and belching, I wish I knew what iy is and how to fix it and then theres the coughing. Going to check in with the doctor.
My wife has Hypo I think the one that makes you gain weight. She s been having a chest pain now for over a month. started on the right side upper shoulder and one night got stressed with my son and then got more pain on the left side and now in the middle of her chest. she tells me that her bones hurt there and touches there to the feel and hurts big time. she gets sharp pains sometimes? She is very stressed and I think she needs to relax. because she went for a check up and everything came out normal. can anyone help??
I have chest pains all the time.  I have had numerous EKG's, a gastro work up, a holter monitor and a stress test.  The holter monitor was abnormal which prompted the stress test.  The stress test came back normal.  I have extremely low ferritin and vitamin D levels.  I might need to get iron infusions.  My hematologist is waiting to see what a big battery of tests show.  I think my chest pains are somehow related to this, but who knows?  My vitamin b12 is pretty low as well.  I always feel like my body is falling apart.  I even get left arm and jaw pain with all of this.  I am 33 and had my thyroid out last August.  I was extremely hypo when all of this started and am still not at an optimal range.  
I am hypo thyroid also had chest pains and went to the hospital thinking it was the heart. No problems? I changed Doctor and she said my meds were
to high. So she lowered them and the chest pains stoped. When my thyroid is acting up my shoulders ache terrible. Does anyone else get this reaction?
Yes!! i just got back from the ER for the third time in 3 weeks. The first 2 they said panic attacks but I was panicking because i could not breath! This time the pain in my right chest that goes straight thru to my back and my shoulder and neck ach and tighten on the right side. I was so scared i thought it was a heart attack. But this time they said hypo and anxiety..all other tests came back fine..AGAIN! The chest pain was so bad today, my eyes hurt and out of focus, my face was hot and i felt like **** all day. And then i got super light headed and felt very wierd...the chest pain got way worse ,,then came the shortness of breath and the tightning in thr rt side of my neck.
My sister and I both have Hashimoto's.  A year or so after she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism she started having trouble breathing.  She described it as gasping for air but feeling like you were not getting any.  Doctors thought she was mental.  One day my sister was having breathing problems so my sister-in-law started to drive her to the ER, which is about an hour from her home.  My sister couldn't make it so my sister-in-law pulled over and called an ambulance.  The paramedics said that she was having an anxiety attack.  At the ER the doctor agreed and said that her oxygen levels were normal.  She was given anxiety medicine and sent home.  After having other muscle issues my sister was finally diagnosed with Myasthenia gravis, a condition of muscle weakness that commonly occurs with hypothyroidism.  Her muscles next to her lungs were to weak to make her lungs expand,  so they were not getting oxygen.  She was not having an anxiety attack and the standard ER test for blood oxygen levels doesn't pick it up because there is still oxygen in the blood.  After her thyroid hormone levels were adjusted with medication and she started M. gravis medication she did not have anymore "anxiety" attacks.  It is difficult to find a doctor who has in depth knowledge about Myasthenia gravis and hypothyroidism.  My sister is still educating her doctors about her condition.  Good luck!