Thyroid Disorders Community
complex, solid, cystic mass on left thyroid???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hello everyone and thank you in advance for any and all answers. let me start by saying wow why dont they use terms we can understand gezz! can someone please tell me what the he## a "complex, solid cystic mass" is i went to my doctor with the complaint of neck pain, and the fact that my thyroid seemed to be "puffy" or swollen i get choked on liquids however not really on food, she ran tests i had blood work in aug last yr said i had over active thyroid which i thought was funny considering i am fat (lol) the blood work this doctor did in march well my TSH level was 0.12 i am also worried because they say the mass is rather big the mass is measured at "3.5 x 1.9" she is sending me to a endocrinlogist and said i need a biopsy i am worried sick and can someone please break down this medical lingo for me thanks!! Lisa
also is it common to have a severe burning sensation on the top of where the thyroid is and off to the other side of where the mass is when you cough or yell??
also , sorry feel like a dum butt but what does "well encapsulated" mean?
The only reason I know what a complex mass is, is because I have one on my left thyroid, too. It basically means the mass is partially solid and partially cystic (fluid filled). Usually they do a fine needle biopsy to take samples and can drain the fluid if the cystic portion is large.
but there is no way to say if it is more likely to ce cancerous
what they told me was that my complex mass was more likely to be cancerous than my cyst. That's why they ordered the fine needle aspiration biopsy. They analyze those cells and you get an answer or positive for malignancy, negative for malignancy or suspicious (which I believe is the category mine fell in as it came back "atypical" with particular cell types). Has your endo ordered a biopsy yet?
oops, one more thing--they told me that 95% of all nodules, cystic, complex, solid or otherwise are benign, so the odds are quite good!
yes they ordered a biospy but i am just not understanding how one mass can be complex solid and cystic??
encapuslated means encased or unto its own which is good termonology in the world of cancer .. when something is encapsulated (i.e., a tumor) it means it hasn't spread outside of its own domain.  I think that is what it means :::)))

C~  Pap ThyCa -1/9/07 w/partial thyroidectomy ... Ca found after surgery 48hrs later .. synthroid to supress other side (so far on 75mcgs)
WOW thanks that makes me feel a little better the whole word complex solid had me going crazy what about my TSH level is 0.12 good?? is this thing the reason i have gained sooo much weight over the last year? and also mine isnt just right where my thyroid is in the mid of my neck its over to the left of my neck and i also fell pufffy right over my collor bone? i have been reading on internet where that FNA biopsy isnt always accurate is this true?
also does anyone else have the burning sensation going on??
I was curious how this turned out I also have a large complex mass on my thyroid
Hi there all!  I am very frustrated with docs!  please help...I have been having trouble with voice loss for about 6 months.  Now through ultrasound I have mass on left side.  Biopsy done-benign. Went to ENT looked at vocal cords they  are fine.  Thyroid bloodwork fine.  Pain in neck getting worse when I talk, biopsy was horrible pain.  Docs all say well your fine, what should I do next?  I'm at a loss and confused.  Do I sit and wait for another 6 months, may not be able to talk by then?  Please help!!!  I really thought it was thyroid probs,  gained weight always tired...no answers....getting depressed about to need meds for that...haha..HELP.....

First I have to say I am not a Dr, nor a medical authority but by new standards I believe a TSH level of 0.12 is low (Hyperthyroid). I know that it is more common for someone with Hypo-thyroid to gain weight but someone that is Hyper-thyroid can also gain.

Any kind of lump in your neck can cause pain, even something that is not cancerous.
A Dr. will always send a patient to an Endo when a mass is found -- even if they are not really worried. It covers them for insurance reasons. .

As much as your lump may be what you consider a larger size - but lets say if it were to be found cancerous - that does not mean the cancer is that size. I had a huge lump but my cancer was minimal (a very small part of the mass).

Cancer of the Thyroid can be one of the most curable cancers. Burning can be caused by reflux. If you are nervous you can be creating an acid environment. Or it could be an ulcer and many ulcers are now found to be caused by a virus.

I know it is hard not to worry when you don't know but honestly - it does not have to be bleak. Read  good things, listen to good things, set a goal so you have something positive to look forward to.

If you have surgery - it is a breeze. Barely remember it and a couple weeks after I felt better then I had in years. The harder part was when they kept me off thyroid medication long enough to do a follow up scan. I was tired. But following - when I went back on medication - I felt energy and well being that I hadn't in many years. I hadn't realized how much my thyroid was affecting me.  

,
hi all! I have a complex cyst on my left side of my thyriod. I was sent for an ultra sound scan which determand it was a complex cyst. I was then sent to a concultant, where he put a camara down my throwt. He said it all looked fine. I had a full blood count done and my thyriod was ok but i had low white blood cells. I believe ur normal count shud be 4 and my was 3.1. Im having a biopsy on wednesday. im very worried as iv had about four or five chocking incidents on bread, dry food ect. I feel very tierd all the time and just not myself. has anybody had chocking?
I am a 29 year old female that has just been diagnosed with a 4 cm mass on my left thyroid. I am going to get a biopsy soon and I am terrified that its going to be painful. I've been through plenty of other medical stuff and tough through those just fine, but for some reason this has gotten me worried. Can someone tell me more about the biopsy procedure?
Just had the biopsy this afternoon.  No big deal.  the lidocaine hurt more than the biopsy.  the whole thing was over in a few minutes!!  you will be fine!