complex mixed thyroid nodule
I have recently had a 2nd ultrasound done on my thyroid gland..I have had some difficulty swallowing and also unexplained hoarness of voice. My most recent ultrasound showed a complex mixed echogenicity nodule  in the left lobe. I may be getting a FNA.. What are the chances that this is thyroid cancer? my nodule measured 8x6x5 mm in size.
I was having the same symptoms, I had four nodules, mostly solid, biggest was 2.1 cm and smallest 8 mm.  There were three in the right and one in the left side, I had the whole right side removed, kept the left and the one nodule so that my thyroid would still have a chance at functioning.  So far so good, hoarseness and swallowing issues are gone, I get my results of the biopsy tomorrow, Monday.  My chances of cancer were 5-15%, unfortunately the FNA biopsy was in the NOT determinate for cancer category.  They found benign follicular cells, but could not rule out cancer, so I had one lobe removed.  It is not a perfect test, you may not get an answer.  Your nodule is barely the size that they can do a biopsy, make sure they do an ultrasound guided one, where they actually have the ultrasound looking to make sure they get into the nodule.  Good luck, I hope they at least get the right cells to make a diagnosis.
By the way, I just got the path report today and it is papillary cancer.  They will now go in and remove the other lobe soon.  Bummer!  But at least now I know.  My FNA reported BENIGN follicular clusters, nothing else, so an FNA is only one more tool to help make a diagnosis, it should not be considered apart from the rest of the data.  Do your research and good luck!
Most doctors will not do FNA if nodule is less then 1 cm
Not  always  true,  I   had   all   3   of  my  thyroid  nodules  1cm, 5 0.5 x 0.7 x 0.7cm   and  0.8x  0.9 x 1.0 cm   biopsied  by  my  good  endo  using  ultrasound  guided  FNA.

The  American   Association  Of  Clinical   Endocrinologist's   Task   Force   On   Thyroid  Nodules  says   to  make  an  exception  and  biopsy  nodules   smaller  than  1cm   if   there   are   suspicious  ultrasound  features   including  absent  halo, hypoechoic  and   taller   than  wide  shape   of   nodules  and  I   have   all   of   these   features.

And  on  the  National  Cancer  Insitute's    online  special  report  on  the  increase  of  thyroid  cancer  in   February  and  March  2008   Dr.Michael  Tuttle   from  The  Sloan  Kettering  Cancer  Center  was  quoted  saying  that  when  he  was  a  fellow   many  years  ago   they  could  only  biopsy  nodules  over  1cm  but  he  said  technology  has  now  advanced  so  much  that  they  can  now  successfuly  biopsy  nodules  smaller  than  5 and  6mm!
I found a nodule on my left thyroid lobe about 3 months ago. its slightly grew and i got it checked out.

my bloods came back clear for the thyroid hormone level

i;ve jsut had a ultrasound on my neck.. there was no other nodules... just 1. at 1.5cm, it was solid with some cystic parts... and the sonographer said it had no calcium in it.

he said it didnt look maglignant but i had a FNA anyway there and then,
IT HURTS.
i dont know wether it was because the lump ws pressing on my wind pipe or wah buh i coulda cried..!

im now awaiting the results of the biospy..

what do you guys recon it is bengin or maglignant for youre experiences??

NOTE : im also as of tmorrow 28 weeks pregnant xx