Thyroid Disorders Community
concerened about Dr decision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

concerened about Dr decision

Lab results May 2014
TSH  4.97               .47-4.68 uIU/mL
T4 .95                     .78-2.19ng/dl
DR UPPED MY LEVO FROM .75 TO 100MCG

Lab results Sep 2014
TSH    .13
T4      1.13
DR WANTS ME TO STAY AT 100MCG LEVO.
THIS DOES NOT SOUND RIGHT. I WOULD THINK DOSE WOULD BE LOWERED.
The most important question is how you are feeling?  Hypo patients taking thyroid meds often find that their TSH becomes suppressed below the range.  That does not mean that you are automatically hyperthyroid, unless yu do have hyper symptoms, due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4.  Your Free T4 is well within  the range.  So none of the evidence you provided so far says that the dose should be lowered.  It all depends on how you feel at your levels.  Actually I am impressed that your doctor knows enough not to jump to the conclusion that because of your TSH you need to reduce meds.  May be a keeper.  

You should also always insist on being tested for Free T3 each time you go in for tests.   Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.   Further since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitmamin D, B12 and ferritin, it is a good idea to get those tested as well.
just wanted to add, that the last 5 months my ears have been ringing. Sometimes loud, other time not so bad. If I skip my levo for a day or 2 things quiet down. Still thinking a lower dose may be in order. Have asked for a different Dr. Mine would not take the time to explain the situation and when I asked the nurse a ? about TSH importance she just shrugged  her shoulders. I just walked out.
If the ringing is the only symptom bothering you and reducing the Levo makes it better, then you seem to have answered your own question.  Relief of symptoms is all important, not just test results.  But there must have been other symptoms before starting on the Levo.  Did those go away when starting on the Levo?

At any rate, if you see a new doctor, you should always make sure they test you for both Free T4 and also  Free T3, each time you go in for testing.  You should also always get a copy of the lab report and write on there how you were feeling at the time and also what meds/supplements you were taking.  Those then become very valuable for future reference.

I also suggest that you should test for Vitamin D B12 and ferritin when you go back.  Hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for those as well, and a deficiency in either will cause symptoms, as well as affecting how thyroid hormone is metabolized.