cost of surgery
i was just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up as to how much thyroid surgery can cost???...taken into account i live in australia...any info would be grateful :)
I'm having a total thyroidectomy next Tuesday, February 5th.   I will have two surgeons performing the surgery and their fee is $3,800.  I'm having my surgery at a surgery center affiliated with a hospital in and staying overnight.  They told me their estimated cost would be $10,000 - $12,000.  And, the bills for the anestesiologist and the pathologist (because my thyroid is coming out for cancer suspicion) will come separate.  I'm guessing that will be another $1,000 or two.  So, in total about $16,000 for a total thyroidectomy for cancer suspicion.  I live in Indiana.  I'm not sure how this compares to others out there but these numbers are fresh on my mind since my surgery is coming up in four days.  

Are you scheduled to have thyroid surgery soon?
I live in FL and had a total thyroidectomy.  My charges were closer to $30,000 all said and done.  I had to reamin in the hospital for an additional day due to my calcium levels not coming back up.  My insurance paid a substantial portion but those bills still do add up.  I wish you all the best in your surgery and recovery.
I had a partial but had to stay extra night and full path workup, too .. mine was between $15,000-$20,000 .. I didn't delve into it too far bcz insurance and hosp are still fighting it out for the extra night's stay but I am not responsible bcz of they deemed it necessary to keep me even though insurance said send her home!  

C~
I actually had a total thyroidectomy and a lubal ligation at the same time. (I know, I was the laughing stock of the hospital for two days....) Total with anesthesia, both surgeries, and two days hospital stay, my surgery cost $15,000. I live in New Mexico. :)
My surgery was approximately $27,000.  The RAI was more.  Luckily I didn't have to pay-maybe $200 total because I had a private room.  I live in FL too.
Can i ask how your surgeries went? Im suggested to remove my left thyroid lobe because they found a solid cystic mass.. Though, I hear of all the surgery complications that can occur with this, and I'm not sure if i want to go through with it. Did your surgeries run smoothly?
This thread is 8 yrs old and none of the previous posters are active on the forum any longer.  ChitChatNine is still on the site, but rarely visits the forum.  She's doing fine, but is hypothyroid, as you, most likely will be following the removal of your left lobe.

Don't forget that forums like this only get the people who have complications; there are millions who have surgery and never have a need to visit a forum like this.
did it hurt badly afterwards ?
kaykay00... As I noted above, this is a very old thread and none of the previous posters are active on the forum, at this time.