Thyroid Disorders Community
cyst - nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

cyst - nodule

Hello - I have posted before about having TSH level at 5 and three months later at 8 but the T4 was normal and so it was left to have another blood test in three months time - which is how they do it here in the UK apparently.  I have since had a scan on my throat and I have a small cyst and nodules in both lobes - any idea what to expect next?  Apparently my GP will call me once she gets the results of the scan - but that could be a while.  Any thoughts gratefully received as I am hoping for a course of antibiotics to clear the cyst and thats it???
I've never heard of antibiotics to clear a cyst / nodule, but then again, I'm not THAT informed, so maybe it is possible.

According to most thyroid nodule web sites, usually the discovery of a nodule involves blood work, ultrasound, FNA, and possibly medication and or surgery, depending on the the size of the growth and the findings.

Try endocrineweb.com. also thyroid.ca for more information, but I"m sure you'll also receive lots of suport from this site.

DSC
DSC thanks for a prompt reply - and putting to bed a wishful thinking course of antibiotics - I will check out the sites to  get a better idea.  Thank you and thanks for the support
The blood test must check for the presence of thyroid antibodies TPO- if they are present , the autoimmune thyroiditis is indicated.
"Some studies have shown that selenium supplementation at the typically safe dose of 200 mcg per day can return elevated thyroid antibody levels to normal, or reduce them significantly, therefore warding off development of full autoimmune thyroid disease, and resulting hypothyroidism."
Thank you for your reply - Will the doctor automatically test for TPO or should I ask?  I had a full blood test in December but no mention of TPO.  Can you also tell me - what is the difference between a goitre, a nodule and a cyst - here is the danger of trying to educate yourself and I have got myself confused.  I have been described as sub clinical hypothyroid but recent reading says that there is usually no symptoms with that so maybe I am more likely to have autoimmune??
I am just so releived there is a reason for my symptoms and maybe now I can get some treatment to feel better
Sorry - another question - should I be on some sort of medication/  My TSH is 8 and now have nodules and a cyst?  I do feel pretty grotty also, cold, tired etc.  I am all for being conservative but just wondering whether now I should be on some sort of medication to stop this progressing?  Thanks - sorry about all the questions - hopefully when I get to grips with this I could help others
Here there are some answers to your questions [DON’T’T BE AFRAID TO ASK!!]:
Ask the doctor about antibodies test as it is the way to confirm if your thyroid condition is the result of autoimmune disease, and if it spotted early enough, less destruction can be done to the thyroid gland, provided that selenium supplement was able to reduce antibodies level.
Goitre is used to mean any visible enlargement of the thyroid gland, in present time it used to mean that the thyroid volume is exceeding 18 cu cm (for women) or 21 cu cm for men.
Nodule refers to the cluster of cells within the thyroid gland that it is differs from the surrounding cells because of the size, structure, arrangement, density, function etc.
Some nodules are causing focal swelling or lump palpable or visible during the swallowing.
Cyst is the ”blister” filled with fluid, could be blood or colloid.
In case of autoimmune thyroid inflammation, the groups of cells are breaking apart leaking colloid and forming the liquid filled cysts and solid nodules from solid components.
I hope that my explanation of the terms is not confusing as I tried to make it as simple as possible. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
898 Thank you very clearly put and very helpful.  What causes cysts and what causes nodules?  Why have I developed this?  I was very fit and healthy until I had an operation and have had a number of infections since.
Can this be reversed? Other than selenium, what else can I do to stop this progressing and clearing them up?  
The medical textbooks are suggesting that:
"Although the cause of most thyroid nodules is unknown, some risk factors for developing nodules include a lack of iodine in the diet, which can cause thyroid enlargement, family history of benign thyroid nodules, and pre-existing thyroid disease (e.g. Hashimoto's thyroiditis)."
Some small nodules are responding well to the small doses of thyroid hormones.
Unless nodules are growing, most doctors will monitor the nodules and do the blood tests every 6 months.
In the past, before the ultrasound was used for neck scans, the small nodules went unnoticed for decades.
In recent times the media reports mentioned that fluoridated toothpaste acted as thyroid inhibitor. As a result, it could be not a bad idea for people who are hypothyroid to use low-fluoride or fluoride-free toothpaste.
Once hypothyroidism starts/develops it is usually for life and you will need levothyroxine.  There are some instances where I've read it can go back to normal, like after postpartum thyroiditis and I've read about a viral induced hypothyroidism that can go away also.  I have nodules and was positive on the antibody test (anti-tpo) also and they are treating me with levo to shrink them and/or stop the growth.  If your GP doesn't seem to proactive you might want to ask to see an endocrinologist.  It sounds like you have enough information with the US and the bloodwork, (other than the antibody tests) to see a specialist.
Good luck.
Nodules are common, even if there is no thyroid disease present.

Most docs will only biopsy a nodule if it is larger than 1 cm. I have 2 just smaller than that and will just have a follow up ultrasound in 2 years.

A TSH of 5 and 8 needs to be treated with thyroid replacement medication.

The t4 will continue to be normal until the TSH rises to a higher level, usually over 10.

Consider an endo as mentioned above.
Thank you all - i now feel well versed to go and see my GP with some confidence to ask for either medication or a referral - or maybe both.  Thank you all so much you have made it a stress free weekend for me.