Thyroid Disorders Community
dangerous or just uncomfortable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

dangerous or just uncomfortable?

Does anyone know if it is actually dangerous to ride out side effects of too much synthroid too fast or just uncomfortable till it goes away?

symptoms like.. diarreah (diarrhea), stomach ache, jitters, hot flashes, feeling like your reeling.. hyper symptom type stuff?
Have you left message for your doctor?

Everyone is different on how they handle symptoms of being over medicated. I could never tell I was over medicated until my regular lab work.

Having diarreah (diarrhea) for a long time is NOT healthy (dehydration).
They do know about my symptoms.. I know that i'm hypo because of my last labs, I'm trying to get re-introduced to synthroid but i'm sensitive to it and it has caused those side effects, so i was just wondering if these side effects will go away or if it is dangerous to just keep up on the meds despite the side effects..
I am really confused about something here too.. The website says for Synthroid: Adverse reactions associated with levothyroxine therapy are primarily those of hyperthyroidism due to therapeutic overdosage.

How can you have "therapeutic overdosage" if your thyroid levels are in hypo range? This confuses me.. Is it too much at once? I don't understand that if my "blood range levels" are way out of range to the hypo side then how can i experience therapeutic overdosage symptoms?
I think, the body in terms of lab numbers has to play catch up to how you really are at the time.  Some hypo symptoms are the same as hyper as well.

You say you are getting "re-introduced to synthroid". What were you on before.

As a "Hoshi" , I can say the hypo - hyper roller coaster happens when you change meds.  After this happened, I developed a better feel or sense of where I was on the hyper - hypo scale. The hyper end is kind of freaky and hard on the cardio system. Some weird and scary things happened when I was hyper. It takes me a long time to ramp up to different thyroid dosing and meds. When I had hyper feel but still hypo blood work for a short time, the doc dropped my dose and I slowly ramped back up. The shakiness and sweating went away.  Better and safer to be a little hypo than hyper the Endo thought. Its best to be kind to your heart, you cant just trade it in!
How are your doses being administered?  You should start out on very low doses - 12.5 - 25 -- and increase by small increments each week or two until you reach the desired dose.  If you get started on too high a dose right off the bat - it may cause you to be over medicated, but still hypo.  

Also, it does take time for the labs to catch up with the symptoms, I think.  That's why some people can have hypo symptoms for years and still have "normal" labs.  

You  may have to go back to square one and start over on a low dose and increase slowly.  
You can be hypo, but have hyper symptoms, due to the sudden change in hormone levels.

Think of this as a progression.  You have had very little thyroid hormone in your body for quite some time.  Your body has become accustomed to these low levels...it's slowed down in order to compensate.  Now, all of a sudden, you start taking 88 mcg of levo.  Your heartrate speeds up, your metabolism speeds up, your digestion speeds up, even your brain speeds up.  Now, compared to where you were before you started taking levo, your body is hyper (it's above your current tolerance level of hormones).  If you build more slowly, your heart, brain, digestive tract, etc. will be able to get used to the smaller changes in hormone levels.

Here's an example (not a very good one, but the best I could come up with at the moment).

Person A is not a drinker.  Person B has four drinks a day.  A and B get together for dinner, and A decides to have drinks along with B.  At the end of cocktail hour and four drinks later, A is under the table.  B just has a pleasant buzz.  You're A.  A has no tolerance for alcohol because he is not a drinker.  He'd have been better off nursing one drink while B had his four.  A could build up to four drinks slowly, but right now that's way too many for him.

Sorry, really bad example...but you get the picture.    

Great analogy.........I'd never have thought of it in those terms, but that pretty well says it ..............lol
Thank you all for helping me clarify, I understand the too much too soon effect even tho i'm still hypo by "numbers"  Let me ask 2 more questions: if i am able to "suffer thru the too much too soon" it will eventually go away right? when my body adjusts? within the first few weeks i assume? Also one more question, what about when I have been on the same dosage for awhile and all of a sudden i get hyper symptoms? is it because of the antibodies my thyroid swings hypo to hyper and sideways and back again so my "blood levels fluctuate from hyper to hypo as the wind blows"? and until i reach a level of senthroid to "put my thyroid to sleep" or until it completely dies out then i will continue to swing hyper to hypo in blood levels AND symptoms? And these symptoms will be worse one way or the other depending on the day and the level of synthroid i have taken for that day or the previous few days "i read synthroid has a 1/2 life of a few days" meaning the symptoms of hyper might not occur for a few days if my levels were to be in range and the meds make me hyper..
So just for argument sake would that mean that my last labs could be different now even if i wasn't taking any meds at all? meaning more towards "in range"? because I was waaay hypo last time... I think in general overall i have been more hypo then hyper and i know that is the more dominant one, so maybe if i just suffer thru the hyper since i know it will come back down then i might be ok...

I guess the biggest thing for me right now is this: Based on my last labs i was wayyyy hypo, I know that my body needs a maintenence of at least 88mcg of senthroid or levoxyl to "keep my numbers in range" because I was on 100mcg before my doc yanked me off of them for 3 weeks... I feel like if i can hang with the symptoms of too much too soon then it'll be quicker that my numbers will become "in range" and the quicker i'll feel better in the long run... Also, with regards to hanging with the symptoms i don't know if my symptoms are related to my hypo thyroid blood levels or the meds being too much too soon, I'm so confused about it all because i can swing from hypo/hyper symptoms thru-out the day and it changes day to day no matter what the situation is, I have had these same symptoms with increasing dosages wether it is 5mcg or 25mcg, same symptoms when i've been on the same dosage awhile, when my levels are in range and out of range, wether i switch brands, etc... It doesn't seem to matter what i do i'm always back and forth and sideways. I'm just tired of trying to figure out what is related to what, i just want my numbers out of a danger zone ASAP and then I can work on what makes me feel good.... The pharmacy, my GP and my endo all say it's completely safe to start off with 88mcg to get my levels back to normal, they say some people have side effects of too much too soon but it will go away and if i'm going to have these symptoms no matter what i do until my levels are straight then i'm just going to have to suffer thru them.. I'm young and otherwise healthy and just want free's up and my TSH down to at least normal ranges and then work to fluctuate within that range to feel good.. blehhh.. what a mess... And to think my first endo that diagnosed me said this "if you were to have an autoimmune disease this is the best one to have" righhhhhhhhhhhttt... My husband has chrones and not to minimize the severity of that disease but he doesn't even have to take meds....
I really have no personal experience on whether the hyper symptoms will go away if you just "stick it out".  I was so horribly miserable when my doctor started me at 88 mcg that there was no question of me putting up with it.  I do know that I cut back to 44 mcg, which gave me a couple of weeks reprieve of the tachy.  But then it was just as bad as it had been on 88.  I cut back to 25...same thing.  I eventually had to take a beta blocker to tolerate even 25.  I guess this depends on your personal tolerance level.  I am very tolerant to pain, but tachy 10-20 times a day or my HR at over 200 for 14 hours straight is not something I can put up with.  I felt like I was poisoning myself.

Have you had a thyroid ultrasound, and do you have nodules?  Sometimes Hashi nodules "leak" rather than secrete hormones.  This happens in a pretty uncontrolled manner and can cause the swings from hypo to hyper by releasing "spurts" of hormone.  The antibodies are destroying your thyroid...sometimes this takes decades, sometimes it goes like gangbusters.  But your antibodies are not causing hyper symptoms.  If anything, if they are destroying your thyroid relatively quickly, you would keep getting hypo on the ever-increasing doses.  As your thyroid produces less and less hormone, you have to take more and more meds.  In effect, you are chasing a moving target.

Synthroid takes 4-5 weeks to level out in your bloodwork.  Of course your FT3 and FT4 will be changing during that time, but it takes that long to stabilize.  Your labs could be different now from a few days ago, but unless you wait the full time, you are changing dose based on FT3 and FT4 levels that have not stabilized.  If you, say, increase based on levels after a few days, you are REALLY chasing a moving target since it's impossible to evaluate the full effect of your current dose that soon.  Your labs are going to keep changing, you have to wait until that settles out. If you hadn't taken any meds at all, I would expect your FT3 and FT4 to continue going down (or perhaps stay the same if your thyroid was still able to produce enough hormone to maintain that level).

I can't remember if I was writing to you when I did this or someone else, but I recently looked at my progression form 88 down to 25, then back up again (hitting every step along the way...37.5, 44, 50, 62.5, 68.5, 75).  If I put six weeks between each of those doses to allow the labs to stabilize, it would have taken me 36 weeks to get to 75.  In actuality, because of the high start, etc., it took over a year.  Sometimes slow and steady can be faster.

I'd say if you can stick it out, try it.  For me, it wasn't an option.
Can I make a request?  My old eyes have a very hard time reading your posts...can you separate into paragraphs so it's easier to read?  Thanks.
If you drop your dosage in 1/2 and try to build up slowly, it will take longer but I would think you would have better luck in the long run, plus, even though you would be staying hypo longer, you wouldn't be having all these hyper feelings as well.  

Your thyroid could continue to produce hormones for a long time -- synthroid will NOT make your thyroid "go to sleep" -- that's a bit of misleading information there.  Synthroid will help alleviate your symptoms, by bringing up your hormone levels (FT3/FT4).  It will do absolutely nothing as far as the antibodies are concerned and nothing can make it (thyroid) stop producing hormones until the antibodies have totally killed it off.  

There are some vitamins/minerals that you could try.  They help some people, do absolutely nothing for others.  The 2 that help me the most are selenium - which sort of helps counteract a bit of the misery with the antibodies, such as choking/swelling/pain in the neck area.  Magnesium helps with my muscle aches/pains and it's also calming so taken at bedtime, may help you sleep better.  Remember -- these help some people, but do nothing for others, so there's no guarantee that they will help.

I also think you should concentrate more on alleviating your symptoms, than being concerned over the lab numbers.  You may end up feeling fantastic with numbers that are out of range one way or the other.  Or your numbers can be "perfect", but you still don't feel well.  If you can get your doctors to treat by your symptoms more so than lab numbers, you will be much better off.  
Thanks again for your responses.. I started a new thread "weird symptom" which is probably less confusing "at least for me" haha.. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and short for the eyes "sorry goolarra" ;)  I'll post on that one instead...
I did want to comment on a couple of things you mentioned while i have this post to reference..

you stated that going slow at least i won't have the hyper symptoms "but i do" no matter what dosage i'm on, no matter if i'm on meds or not, no matter what my levels are, i fluctuate into hyper symtoms (symptoms) all the time.. back and forth.. That's why i had mentioned if i can tolerate the high dosage start then i may as well stick with it..

Also, you mentioned for me to not worry about labs so much.. and you are absolutely correct in that, sometimes my labs are off and i feel great and sometimes my labs are on and i feel horrible.. This last incident however, my labs were WAY off the chart TSH 102, FT3 1.98 under normal on my range, FT4 .17 under normal on my range. But i felt better with those than when my levels were slightly to the hyper side.

with that said, my docs were very worried about those numbers and wanted me back on meds ASAP, so even tho i felt better, but knew i needed some meds, i was at risk because of the "labs" so to some extent i believe i have to be closer to the "norm range" on labs regardless of how i feel. Is that accurate to say? I don't think i could walk around long feeling good with those labs..
I think all of this has something to do with having my son a few months ago and having hasimotos of course..
Hypo or Hyper and taking Synthroid,  make sure you take the Synthroid
BRAND only.   If you see a good doctor and he knows anything about a thyroid disorder he will tell you this.   The extra you might pay is worth it.  
Many people do just fine on generic levo.  I took it for a couple of years, before I started on Tirosint, and did better on generic than I did on synthroid.
I am not sure how to answer you on this, but this is where I am right now. I was diagnosed in 1995 as hypo. Doc accidentally found out (I didn't even know) when they did pre-surgery blood work..they called and told me my thyroid was not working AT ALL. Started synthroid right then. Dosage was adjusted over the years, always going up. I have been at 100mcg of the rx for years now. I got sick in Feb of this year with bronchitis. Bad reactions to antibiotics, yada  yada. Could not seem to recover over the months that passed. I'm angry, shaky, lost 60# and can't stop! I know, shut up, right? Dropped in at my doc's office and they immediately ran a blood test. Doc has backed me off the rx because I am now hyperthyroid! All symptoms are Classic of hyper. I go to the doc tomorrow, so I will put an update here if I can find out anything. It feels like total hell whey you flip! I had no clue so the symptoms just kept building over time. I now feel like I could just fly apart any moment and I feel lousy. Pair that with a bad attitude from the over rx.....well....let me say I am glad I am a PC Specialist (retired) because I was so angry I pitched my laptop across the room. Fortunately, because of my career, it was repaired in 5 minutes but I don't EVER remember anger overtaking me like that! All from being over rx....,....
I just started taking synthroid four days ago.  I wasn't told to watch for any symptoms - but Wow, irritability, can't sleep, heart racing, dizzy.  My TSH was 7.16 and endro started me out at Levo750mcg.  My GP had recommended 50 mcg, but the endro took it higher. I obviously cant function this way. However, he did not tell me that I should not be taking phentermine as an appetite suppressant along with it.  

After doing my own research - it can be life threatening if you take Levo with  anything supplements that suppresses your appetite. Be sure to tell your Doc, although I did tell mine and he didn't warn me.  

Hypothyroidism runs in my family.  So, at 46, I was on the look out for it.  5 Sisters and a Mom who've all had hypo or hyper.
Please check the bottle of synthroid and verify that dosage.  750 mcg is an astronomical dose and I've never even heard of anyone being on that much.  Are you sure it's not 75 mcg?  To my knowledge levo pills aren't even made in a 750 mcg dose. Are you taking more than one pill?

I'm not sure what supplements you're referring to regarding appetite suppression.