Thyroid Disorders Community
did my problem resolve on its own?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

did my problem resolve on its own?

Can anyone tell me what this means?  I had hyper symptoms (sudden anxiety, heart palps, hair loss, lump in throat, insomnia) but I gained weight. This started almost immediately after I quit smoking.  I took Chantix to quit. Finally got blood work done and in Feb., my TSH was .01.  Radioactive iodine uptake and scan confirmed diagnosis of hyperthyroid.  Had another test in July and my TSH rose to 4.05.  Still no treatment but doc felt sure my thyroid "burned out" and I had become hypothyroid.  Got blood test results this morning and TSH is 2.5, T3, T4 and T7 all normal. Anxiety is gone, heart palps have slowed down considerably but about 5 days ago I started having almost constant dizzy spells and the lump in my throat is back.

With my TSH and T3,4 and 7 all normal, and without having treatment of any kind, do you think my thyroid is functioning normally and i should look elsewhere for the cause of my symptoms?  Just last week my hair was falling out in clumps...I don't know what my ft3 or ft4 levels are. Is there any point in checking now that my other levels are normal?   Can this just get better on its own? do healthy thyroids see these kids if fluctuations?

thank you.
Barbara
Yes, you should get free T3 and free T4 tests done.  These are the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones that affect metabolism and many other body functions.  You should also be aware that just having test results within the "normal" ranges doesn't tell you nearly enough.  The ranges are so broad that they should be considered as guidelines within which to adjust the levels as required to alleviate symptoms.   Symptoms are the most important.  In my opinion, the very best approach to treating a hypothyroid patient is to test and adjust FT3 and FT4 levels with Meds as required to alleviate symptoms.    TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many variables and is not a good diagnostic for thyroid problems.  It is only an indicator that needs to be considered along with symptoms and the FT3 and FT4 levels.

I think you will find this link to be worthwhile reading for you.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
Hashimoto's disease sees hyper/hypo fluctuations early on. What are 'normal' T3/T4 levels?  

Many on this forum do not agree with some of the lab standards for normal. Many doctors are in agreement that 'normal' needs to be changed and varies from person to person. I hope you are seeing an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid and not just a family practice doc.  

Post your levels. Also, if you have a TGab and Anti-TPO bloodwork, post those results. If not, then GET that bloodwork. That's what we use to test for Hashimto's.

Also, you need a thyroid ultrasound. With Hashi, we generally have nodules. My neck feels swollen and then goes back down. That's the antibodies and the thyroid at war!

Hair coming out in clumps does not sound like your thyroid is resolved, neither do the issues you had five days ago.

Take care...
:) Tamra