diffusely heterogeneous goiter
I just had an ultrasound of the thyroid and I have not received results from my doctor, but I work in the medical field so I was able to get my report.  The impression is Heterogeneous goiter is at least one nodule that is a well defined 1 cm nodule.  Also the isthmus is enlarged measuring 6 mm in AP diameter.  What does that mean?
Hi lyssabelle,
I also just had an ultrasound and I have similar results. Although the nodules on my report are reported to be larger. I don't know what this means, but my Endo says it is very typical of hashimoto's thyroiditis. Let me know what you find out. Good luck.
I too have just had ultrasound and have exact results except I have many nodules. I don't know whether or not to go see the endocronologist or not. Any thoughts on your end.
Nodules are lumps...there are benign nodules and cancerous nodules, but usually (85%) they are benign.  They will not go away, sometimes they can be shrunk.  Nodules more likely to be cancerous are solid, have irregular borders, are vascular (lots of blood flow within them), and have calcifications.  Nodules over 1 cm can be biopsied with an FNA biopsy, they take cells out with a needle and view them under a microscope.  If they are causing problems, i.e., swallowing difficulties or hoarseness, they can be removed, but they have to take the lobe of the thyroid containing the nodule with it.  They must be watched for changes so that if it is cancerous it can be removed.