Thyroid Disorders Community
ear ringing and severe sinus problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

ear ringing and severe sinus problems

I was just wondering if anyone else has these symptoms that worsened or started around the time your thyroid started to break down.  I have never had ear ringing in my life but now my right ear rings all the time-this is the side that my thyroid is enlarged on.  I also have horrible sinus congestion on that side as well.  The doctor will not say my enlarged thyroid could be the reason.  i also have ear pain like I have an ear infection.  I have gone to the doctor at least 4 times thinking I had a horrible ear infection only to be told there is nothing wrong.  I went to an ENT and had a hearing test and a cat scan-nothing showed up. Please tell me someone else has this problem and I am not going crazy.

Size of thyroid-right side 5x3x2.2cm
Geez, I don't know .. I feel awful for you ...

Cheryl
I hope it gets better for you. The ringing nearly drove me crazy for a week after my PT, but it gradually went away. I think it was more the anesthesia than the thyroid, though.

Hope you feel better soon.

viv
No... you're not crazy. I started having all of the same ear problems that you are complaining of and was told that there was nothing wrong. After much testing and pushing the issue, I was told I had Hashimoto's. I'm still having problems with my ears off and on and have had more sinus problems lately.

I often wonder if it isn't because of fluid retention just like a lot of problems with thyroid are related to fluid retention-- you know? Like the bloating, the weight gain, the carpal tunnel is supposedly caused by fluid retention in the wrists/fingers, etc, etc, etc. If you retain the fluid in your ears, you would have symptoms of muffled hearing, ear pain like an infection, and ear ringing.

GERD, believe it or not, can cause some of the ear symptoms as well. I also read that inflammed sinuses can somehow block the eustachain tubes and cause symptoms like this. They say to try a saline nasal spray as this will help with sinuses that are inflammed due to dryness. The spray does seem to help a bit.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you :0)
WOW, the doctors make you think you'r nuts because you have all of these strange symptoms. I have had this crazy ear ringing for the last couple of monthes. I also have carpal tunnel in both hands. I never, never thought that is could be linked to my hypothyroidism. I am really motivated to be more proactive in this, instead of just listening to my doctor say "your levels are fine, it's not your thyroid" This forum has given me more info in 5 mins, than my Dr. has in the year since my diagnosis. Well you've been informative. Know anything about hairloss that may be related. Thanks, Deziree
I have the same symptoms...except ringing in both of my ears and left ear experienced partial hearing loss, extreme ringing and daily ear aches. I just had bloodwork for TSH done and will find out monday what the results are!
I know this is not a new thread, but anyway I wanted to comment.

I wanted to do it because I haven't found much information about earacke, sinusitis and hypothyroidism.

I have been having ear pain since I was a little girl. I had a lot of respiratory infections but never thought it would thyroid related. The worse came with puberty. Sex hormones and imbalance finished the work and I sarted to feel really bad.

Along with the ear pain came headackes and a lot of post nasal drip.

I have been trying to collect information about all this and their relationship with hypothyroidism.

I have read Hypo can cause sinusitis and ear pain, but not sure about the excessive post nasal drip (I have no allergies, doctors have no clue).

I have read also that can be estrogen-progesteron related. I think that being hypo and all the mess with the sex hormones cause all the symptoms.

I started treatment for hypo not long ago, so I am waiting for some results. Once stabilized in that I will take care of the sex hormones imbalance if the symptoms still persist.

Please, If you have been suffering from head, nose ear problems and they have gotten better with hypo treatment, post your experience. It would be very helpful for all of us still suffering. Thanks.
I was diagnosed with a nodule on the thyroid, it has been biopsyed and I am still awaiting the results.
Yes, the ear ringing has been so bad on occasion, that I could not hear outside noises at all.
I even tried hearing aids, which did not help much, as the ringing stopping the noise is interior noise, and it is exterior noise I am wishing to hear- I have missed a whole lot of conversations, because of the lack of being able to hear?  

My ears do ache often- it is a great deal of pressure that feels as though it is trying to push my eardrum out-