Thyroid Disorders Community
eczema & synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

eczema & synthroid

Has anyone noticed a connection between taking Synthroid and developing eczema? My ezcema (eczema) hasn't bothered me in 10-15 years, but in the three weeks since I've been on generic synthroid, it's been getting worse and worse. (I'm on 88 mcg daily)

- viv
Could be you're sensitive to an ingredient in it. See if you can get on a brand of levothyroxine which doesn't have many fillers.

I might have to go that direction too for the same reason.
Yep VIV -- big sensitivity to rashes and exzema (eczema). Thyroid meds are known for that and most doctors will agree.

I get psorisis (sp) every winter and now on thyroid meds (and it hasn't mattered which one I took) it got worse.

I know this sounds odd - but inside tanning has helped me alot and Olive oil after it. I don't have any issues in 6 yrs now again and my skin actually is better now than before. Plus I have been following the ZInc tablets too. They help alot. Those creams are steriods - and I just didn't want to upset my system adding that - and wanted my body to try and correct itself first - if possible. The melatonin in our skin gets rejuvinated when out in the sun and that will correct some rashes. Thyroid meds may make you sensitive to natural sunlight - so that is why I chose indoor .

I know tanning is taboo -- and is not really good either - but I weighed the lesser of two evils and I suppose for me - I am happy with what I am doing.
i find i get exzema (eczema) if my dose is not quite right, like if im a bit hypo or hyper. and also if i eat dairy - it could be from a food you're eating. and i think im getting it from the orange colouring in  my thyroid meds.
Thanks, everyone. I got back to the doc next week for my four-week post-op visit. Will be talking about dosage, so I'll bring this up. I appreciate the feedback!
- viv