Thyroid Disorders Community
enlarged thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

enlarged thyroid

For a while I've felt a "thickness" in my neck and kept mentioning it to doctors but they'd feel my neck and I was repeatedly told it felt fine.  Now it's at the point where I can tell just by looking at my neck that my thyroid is enlarged, and my primary today finally admitted it feels large and ordered an ultrasound.

The weird thing is my TSH levels have been getting consistently lower with every test, going from 2.1 to 1.79 to 1.17 over the last 2 years.  

What in the heck could be causing my thyroid to get larger while TSH gets lower?

If it were over 2 I might think I could be hypo, but 1.17 is about as optimal a number as you can get.  Any ideas as to what might be going on with the enlarged thyroid?  

(My main symptoms are severe, severe fatigue, foggy thinking, forgetfulness, weakness, poor and very disrupted sleep where I wake up at least once an hour, and some joint pain.  I'm pretty intolerant to cold, am always cold unless it's 85 degrees.  I have dry skin that gets itchy a lot, and my hair is getting coarser than it used to be.  No changes in weight really, and I'm 115 lbs at 5ft3in, so not over or underweight.)
Sorry to hear, your not feeling well.  

I've had an enlarged thyroid for 2 years, all my thyroid blood test returned normal, FNA, ultrasound returned normal.  I had a thyroid uptake scan on Tuesday, which revealed I was severe hyperthyroid.  

I spoke with the doctor in the uptake scan dept, and he said, the thyroid is very mysterious, because a persons thyroid can enlarge and disappear withour any reason, he said the thyroid can work fine, then decide not to work then work, etc....  Reason they are very difficult to diagnose.

Medications, especially bp meds can cause a thyroid to enlarge & infections.  He also said, a hot nodule, can supress the thyroid, causing the thyroid to enlarge.  

Only thing a person can really do is be patient & wait for answers, with time.  

It was very frustrating for me, having thyroid symptoms, an enlarged thyroid, but no answers, after numerous tests.  

But I've learned it's very difficult to figure out, why the thyroid acts the way it does, and eventually a particular test will reveal the answers.  

Sorry, I wasn't much help in answering your question, but you will recieve answers soon, hope you feel better.