Thyroid Disorders Community
exhaustion, thyroid nodule, weight gain? just had biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello. Thank you for any answers here. I appreciate it. I am a 33 yo woman, mother of 3 kids. Until 1 year ago, I was a very high energy person. I had lost a great deal of weight after my last child (over 100 pounds) w/o surgery, exercised, worked as a personal trainer, ate very healthily, and weighed low 140-high 130s (5'4".) I began to feel very exhausted all the time. I was given an anti-depressant, which helped a little but not a lot. Upped the dose, changed the med, etc. I was still exhausted. Multiple TSH tests were given, blood sugar, WBC, RBC, etc. Nothing remarkable. Since this issue occurred, I've now gained 40 pounds and feel terrible and exhausted. My TSH is .9 to 1.3. All other tests were fine but potassium was very low 3.3. Also, my GP prescribed me estrogen/proges cream to take 2x a day. Shortly, thereafter I went to an endorcrinologist b/c I just couldn't understand why I felt so horrible. She felt a nodule. A sonogram was done, it was something like 1.7 x 1.2 cm. She did the biopsy yesterday. After she took four samples, I came up from lying down and she became exasperated. My lymph glands became extremely swollen and hard (on the R side), biopsy was on L. She wanted me to go get an ultrasound, but instead I waited in waiting room until swelling went down and went home & iced. I just didn't feel like making a big deal of it. She said that was fine. She also had said last appt that the E2 cream/progest cream was very dangerous and not typically prescribed for a 33 year old woman with irregular periods. (My estrogen & prog levels were very low at point during month it should have been higher.) Here's my question: a) any ideas why my glands swelled up? She said she had never seen that before. b) She commented that the texture of the nodule was the type to be concerned about. What should/should I be worrying about? Thanks for any help.
My story similar to yours. After the birth of my third son  I wnet on Anit depression med for what ew thought was PPD. and I gained 30 puond in one year on top top of the 25 i had gained over the three preg for a whooping weight of 185.  Two years ago, I decided I couldn't take the weght gaina and depression I felt over it, got off depression meds and ate right and exercized and lost 60 lbs. I was feeling great and had lots of energy..I thoughtthis was the answer!!!! This past summer I started to feel really tired, lost my enthusiasm for the gym (which I had grown to love) and was slowing going into depression again.  I thought it was because the kids were ome for the summer,and the were sucking the life out of me and I thought once they were back a school, I would get back to my old self.  I didn't it got worse, I slowly started to gain weight, even though I was working out, and theu disgusted, and therefore i didn't workout as hard as I ued to. I became very dpressed very exhausted and basicaaly hated life.  I have a geat life, there was no reason to feel this way. so I called my doctor to set up annual checkup which could not happen for another three months (insurance purposes).  During checkup we discussed my problem, she put me on an antidepressant and iron supp (I suffer) from low Iron).  She notice a nodue on my thyroid and sent me for an ultra sound wich cam up solid about 2cm.  FNA showed Atypical cells and diagnosis wasfollicular neoplasm.  During this time and on antidepresants I gained another 5 lbs while still eatign right and exercizing.  Duringthis time I dind out that my mom and niece have Hashimoto thyroiditisis, which is an auto immune disease, where your body kills your thyroid.  However my thyroid levels have always been in normal range.  I had surgery to remove nodule, three weeks ago,  I had a hurthle cell tumer that was full encapulated no spreading therefore it is considered an  adenoma (which  is a benign nodule).
They also found a extremely high number of antibodies, (Hashi).  Atthe end of all this I have gained 14 lbs, I am on Synthroid 75 mcg for thyroud hormone replace ment, my level are still in normal range. and I am still exhausted.
On thing I have heard about Hashi, Is that it changes the feel and texture of your thyroid.  I don't know if any of this infor helps.  Just thought I would share.
I did alot of researchon the interenet  on thyroid problems and that help me aunderstand what drs. were tlaking about and questions to ask.  Hope this helps alittle. Best of luck!!!

I was wondering the progress of your situation.  For years I have been battling fatigue.  My doctors have tested my thyroid and it has always been good.  In the past few years I have but on a large amont of weight and the other day the doctor found a nodule on my thyroid.  Everything I've read said a thyroid tumor should make you have more energy, better metabolism, etc.  I was interested to hear this may not be the case for everyone.  Any additonal information would be helpful.
The hormone cream could be causing the weight gain.  Typcially, thyroid weight gain occurs even when a person experiences a period of not eating.  Also, your potassium is low and that is why you are so tired all of the time.  Muscles need potassium to function...ions move across membrans and cause this to happen.  Your heart will even feel more tiredness with little exertion of your potassium is low.  Ask a doctor about a good supplement, and reevaulate the cream.  Nodule--could be benign and nodules can form and pose no risk.  Have your thyroid antibody levels and thyroid levels checked just to be sure.
Well I am in the same vote also.   I am 33 and in November I noticed a small lump.....well it grew and grew to the point where it is visible.  Last ultrasound in December showed it at 5.7x3x3.7 and that had grown since the one previous in November. Uptake revealed my whole thyroid has shut down. I have one major nodule that is hyperactive and three others all of one I have any idea about.  One is cold and from what I can gather is just on the edge or inside the hot/functioning nodule.  I have inhomogeneous distrubition which apparently is very abnormal also.  All my thyroid levels are normal, my TSH is suppressed.  My autoimmune factors are all normal, so nothing there. It was biopsied but came back benign but they are commenting that they didn't perhaps hit the right place.   The odd time I get a shooting pain, but nothing serious.  I have pressure/heaviness and my salivary gland inflames and swells every other day.  I am tired as hell, gaining weight and awaiting a endocrinology surgery consult in two weeks.  I had a consult with an ENT surgeon in my city but he argued with my internest (who wanted it removed urgently) and thought I had acute thyrioditis.  I just wish they would take it out and get me back to normal!