extreme body temperature changes
I am a 53 year old woman going through "the change". My friends who have gone through this already tell me my symptoms are too extreme. I get cold chills that are so bad I shiver and my teeth chatter. Then the next minute I am on fire , my skin gets very hot to the touch and I am instantly wringing wet from sweat. I have had a slight thyroid problem in the past, but it seemed to be fine for about a year or two. When the symptoms came back, (tired all the time, hair loss, weight gain) this hot - cold problem was with them. Is this actually menopause or should I see a specialist for my thyroid? What type of doctor specializes in thyroid conditions?
The age you are and being in a menpausal state - I think the best situation would be for you to go in and get a thyroid blood test with your family doctor. This would be a start. The something comes up abnormal, your doctor should be able to guide you in the next steps to follow.
I am in a premature menopause at 43 which I started at 40, and this year it has been worse than ever. I am also being investigated to see if I have a thyroid disorder too. My symptoms are just like you describe. Freezing cold shivers, yet still hot flushes in between and many many more stuff! I have learnt a lot since joining here and it was Stella who made me have faith in myself that I do in fact have a thyroid problem too. But what I'm trying to say is that it can be really really confusing, because the symptoms of menopause and thyroid cross over so much. But I would do as Stella says and get your thyroid checked also. Menopause and thyroid often go together.