Thyroid Disorders Community
extreme body temperature changes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

extreme body temperature changes

I am a 53 year old woman going through "the change". My friends who have gone through this already tell me my symptoms are too extreme. I get cold chills that are so bad I shiver and my teeth chatter. Then the next minute I am on fire , my skin gets very hot to the touch and I am instantly wringing wet from sweat. I have had a slight thyroid problem in the past, but it seemed to be fine for about a year or two. When the symptoms came back, (tired all the time, hair loss, weight gain) this hot - cold problem was with them. Is this actually menopause or should I see a specialist for my thyroid? What type of doctor specializes in thyroid conditions?
The age you are and being in a menpausal state - I think the best situation would be for you to go in and get a thyroid blood test with your family doctor. This would be a start. The something comes up abnormal, your doctor should be able to guide you in the next steps to follow.
I am in a premature menopause at 43 which I started at 40, and this year it has been worse than ever. I am also being investigated to see if I have a thyroid disorder too. My symptoms are just like you describe. Freezing cold shivers, yet still hot flushes in between and many many more stuff! I have learnt a lot since joining here and it was Stella who made me have faith in myself that I do in fact have a thyroid problem too. But what I'm trying to say is that it can be really really confusing, because the symptoms of menopause and thyroid cross over so much. But I would do as Stella says and get your thyroid checked also. Menopause and thyroid often go together.