Thyroid Disorders Community
fasting before a tsh test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

fasting before a tsh test

ok..first i was told to fast before the tsh test and then another nurse told me i didnt have to..so which one is it? that would probably cause a high tsh level right? i was the one with the tsh of 139. that couldve been way off from a cup of coffee and an egg? hummm..how much could it have thrown it off then? wow..im hoping it threw it off and the tsh is really down at a 90 or even a 60..its not uncommon for mine to be that high.it was at 96 when i was 3 months pregnant..humm.anyone know..
IMHO, but I'm a patient and not a doc .. is whatever way you do it be consistent for ea. test .. I have done it both ways as the first time I wasn't sure and also I had cholesterol tests so was forced, then the next mo fasted again and then subsequent tests did not fast and I was told by lab that TSH doesn't make a difference.  My answer is in regard to TSH and T3 T4 . that is what LabCorp and Quest told me.

C~
The time of day the blood is drawn will affect the TSH result, slightly. Not enough to matter in your case. Maybe a point or two.

Taking thyroid meds before a blood draw will affect the Free T4 slightly. Again, in your case, it won't make enough difference to worry about.

It is best to have a blood draw early in the morning, before taking thyroid meds. However, as Cheryl mentioned, consistancy is the key. Having it done the same way each time, as best you can. When it gets to the point that they are fine tuning your levels, it matters.

You're about 138 points away from worrying about fine tuning, and whether you take any thyroid meds before a draw will not affect your tests in a significant way right now.
Fasting will not change the TSH value at all.

It is important to fast before tests such as cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose.