Thyroid Disorders Community
finger stick blood test for thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

finger stick blood test for thyroid

I had a finger stick blood test and it measured 28.75 done at sams club. Then my docotr ordered tradtional blood test in vein of arm and that was normal. I have most all symtoms (symptoms) except maybe one of hypothyrodism. Does anyone rely on finger stick blood test for thyroid?
I've hear of a few people using them.  I actually used one just before I was diagnosed.  It was from an online lab, and you did the finger ***** and mailed it off to them.  My TSH at the time was, I believe, 37 from the online lab and was 67 by the time my doctor ran the traditional test a couple of weeks later.

There's enough discrepancy in your two tests that you have to think of lab error, and a "tie breaker" test might be in order.  Your doctor should also test FREE T3 and FREE T4.  These are the actual thyroid hormones and a direct measure of thyroid status.  Because TSH is a pituitary hormone, it's an indirect measure and a screening test at best.

Be sure to get your actual lab report from your doctor, and don't settle for "everything's normal".  If you get those, you can post results here if you'd like, and we'll help you interpret them.  Many people still have symptoms even when their results are all "in range" (normal).
Well, I didn't THINK I said anything worth blipping out, but apparently MH thinks I was cussing!
Well you gave MH the finger LOL!