Thyroid Disorders Community
first test fasting, second test not? could this make a difference?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I recently was diagnosed by my gynecologist as having hypothyroid.  On the first test I was fasting for a blood sugar test and my thyroid results were TSH 5.65, T4 10.2, T3 19 (not sure what kind of test the T3 was said normal range was 24-39?).  They put me on 25mcg Synthroid (I have MVP and doctors were worried it would make me jittery to go higher).  I just went back last week and the tests come back with TSH 1.5 and T4 9.9 - they didnt do T3 this time because it was an in-house test and they dont do that one.  What I want to know is, if possibly because I was fasting the first time, my test results were skewed.  It just seems odd to me that such a low dose brought my TSH down so much.  I wonder if some how fasting drove my TSH up and I'm not really hypothyroid?
hi,

fasting has no impact on results. Yes, such a low dose could normalise your results. regular monitoring will still be required.

Avatar n tn
Ok, thanks, I'm new to this and figured that was just wishful thinking!
you should fast for 14 hours before the blood test, and drinking too much water !
the result when fasting is the true one !
175 mcg/week is not too low dose ,it's an initial dose !
I think she is on 25mcg's not 175mcg/week ?
what is the difference between 25 mcg/day and 175 mcg/week ??
the correct way is to say per week  !
OH .. my apologies .. you are so correct .. they are one in the same.  I misread the orig. post as 175mcg's per day ... I guess I got so worried for the member's health on that dosing that I missed you calculated the daily into a weekly dose :)

Sorry -

C~
That leads me to the post above .. if I fast but do NOT take my Synthroid that morning before my bloodwork will that affect my TSH results.  I've been on Synthroid for 2.5ysr and at this particular dose for 6 weeks.  Thought you may know .. thanks

C~
when I do blood tests I always fast and don't take the med that morning but after the blood test !!

feel well !
I also fast before labs and have them done at roughly 8.30-9am every time.
Consistancy is the key and yes...fasting and not fasting can give an inconsistant result.
So always fast before labs.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the input everyone!  I am also concerned because I am still having nervousness, would this be because my dose is low or high or what?