Thyroid Disorders Community
flu shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

flu shot

is flu shot ok with thyroid patients?
I get one every year and have not had a problem yet.  FTB4
thanks
I always get told to get the flu shot, but for me I just see no reason for getting it. I am not elder,nor a child, nor any kind of chronic disease.

I had the flu once about 25yrs ago. Never had it since & no flu shot for me, despite my doctors recommending it. I know many who got it & ended up with the flu. They are all co workers..

Tells me not to get it for my body...
I used to think the same way, but one year I caught the flu, and looking at how serious it gets today, I take the shot, and you cannot get the flu from the shot, it is not a live virus. some who have come down with it after the shot, have come in contact with it already, it takes about two weeks to be immune after the shot.  FTB4
one year the flu almost killed me
In a typical flu season, what is the chance you'll catch the flu?  5%?  

Bear in mind that there are several flavors of the flu.  In developing the vaccine, researchers have to try to guess which strains will be most prevalent.  Some years the vaccine is pretty worthless.  This year, they did a pretty good job.  But the shot is still only 60% effective.  So that lowers your chance of getting the flue from 5% down to 2%.  

You cannot get the flu from the shot, but there can be side effects including rash, fever, headache, etc.  

Some people have a bad local reaction at the injection site.  

You've got the whole egg allergy issue.  

You've got the whole thimerosal preservative issue.  It does contain mercury.  Does it cause Autism?  I don't think so, but who knows?  

Plus you probably have to pay money for that flu shot.  

For most of us, even it we do get the flu, it won't kill us.  

The benefit of the shot is big picture.  It lowers the total number of sick people.  That helps everybody - weak or strong, vaccinated or not.  

I think public health officials just look at the total number of lives saved and they don't pay a lot of attention to vague, potential side effects.  

Is it worth it for me as an individual to take all those risks just to lower my chance of getting the flu from 5% to 2%?  Am I willing to "take one for the team"?  These are the questions you have to ask yourself.  

Stay away from sick people.  Wash your hands often with soap.  Keep your hands away from your face.  Take care of your body.  
The study "Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults" published in the Cochrane Library took the evidence was from more than 80,000 people in 50 randomised studies.  Studies of all types of influenza vaccines were included: live, attenuated, and killed - or fractions of killed - vaccines.

The plain language summary....

"Vaccines to prevent influenza in healthy adults.

Over 200 viruses cause influenza and influenza-like illness which produce the same symptoms (fever, headache, aches and pains, cough and runny noses). Without laboratory tests, doctors cannot tell the two illnesses apart. Both last for days and rarely lead to death or serious illness. At best, vaccines might be effective against only influenza A and B, which represent about 10% of all circulating viruses. Each year, the World Health Organization recommends which viral strains should be included in vaccinations for the forthcoming season.

Authors of this review assessed all trials that compared vaccinated people with unvaccinated people. The combined results of these trials showed that under ideal conditions (vaccine completely matching circulating viral configuration) 33 healthy adults need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms. In average conditions (partially matching vaccine) 100 people need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms.

Vaccine use did not affect the number of people hospitalised or working days lost but caused one case of Guillian-Barré syndrome (a major neurological condition leading to paralysis) for every one million vaccinations. Fifteen of the 36 trials were funded by vaccine companies and four had no funding declaration.

Our results may be an optimistic estimate because company-sponsored influenza vaccines trials tend to produce results favorable to their products and some of the evidence comes from trials carried out in ideal viral circulation and matching conditions and because the harms evidence base is limited."
the year i got the flu i was sick for a month  lost 80 pounds and ended up hospitalized. and i think that what led to my thyroid going bad.