follicular cell
I recently had FNA of cold nodulars of the thryroid.
No Malignant cells identified but follicuar cells were please explain
Follicular cells are present in normal thyroid tissue.  However, they can be either malignant or benign and a FNA cannot decide this.  The only way to tell is to have the nodule (thyroid) removed and sent for pathology.

endocrineweb.com explains thyroid nodules very well.

If your nodule is not bothersome, your doctor will most like suggest retesting it (ultrasound and FNA again) in a few months time.  If it IS bothersome (difficultly swallowing, pressure) then a partial thyroidectomy may be suggested.
I had a fna with folicullar and colloid cells afer a 90% Thyroid removal I have Cancer and another surgery TUES!!! My advice.... DO not mess with it!! Best of luck!
Rodeo Queen
Hi there, i am having surgery for follicular cells too, these are normal cells but in the absence of convicingly benign features there is a small chance it could be malignant and they won't know till they take it out, do you have a more detailed pathology report that you could post, i'm sure there is someone on here who could decipher it for you :)

good luck x x x
final cytologic interpretation:  
Right superior thyroid, fna
sattifactory for evaluation
scant cellularity
NO MALIGNANT CELLS INDENTIFIED
few follicular cells
this was the results for all  the areas except the amount of follicular cells in them
will keep you all updated with the progression of treatment.  thanks so much for having this wonderful web site and connecting so many scared people to each other, there is strength in numbers, and when you know others have gone thru the same thing it helps.. God bless you all...
my surgery is scheduled for July 1, 2008.  the nodules are large enough to warrant them being removed....scary isn't it.  Doctor said he will remove the thyroid gland and check out everything else.  hope all goes well......
surgery went well, home in 3 days.  Happy 4th of July to you.   Feeling much better already, went today to doc office and got staples out now just steri strips holding me toghether.  Raining in WV, but still a nice day...OH Yes Pathology reports back already
tumor BENIGN.  THANK GOD for his wonderful grace on our lives...now just have to get to the business of healing and getting back to work at the nursing home where the really sick people are.  Hope you are doing ok,,,keep me posted on your progress.  You are all in my prayers.......god bless you