Aa
A
A
Close
Avatar universal
fosamax and levoxyl
I am on Levoxyl (had a thyroidectomy) and now have been prescribed Fosamax once weekly.  Trying to figure out the best way to take the meds as I know calcium interferes with thyroid medication, so the 2 medications cannot be taken together.  If I take the levoxyl in the morning and wait a couple hours to then take the fosamax I couldn't eat breakfast till about 10:00...I guess I could do that for the one day a week as I think it would be alright to have my coffee, which I embarrassed to say, but I really need it in the morning (craving).  any better suggestions....or take my levoxyl at night before bed?....has anyone tried that and does it work out o.k.?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Avatar universal
I have this same dilemma.  I can't believe there are not any answers here.  Please respond.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Avatar universal
Nothing wrong with taking T4 meds at night, unless it bothers your sleep.  In fact there are suggestions that it can be a better time to do so.  Here's a good link about that.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/bedtime.htm
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1299122 tn?1281044016
I would not take Fosamax unless you have severe osteoporosis and there is no other way to impede bone loss. These drugs do not build bone but rather interrupt the natural bone rebuilding process (osteoclasts & osteoblasts) These drugs add a sheath or layer of hardening substance to the bone that impedes "loss" of bone density. However, in the process, it stops the bones ability to absorb calcium.
There are new studies that show the risks of bisphosphonate drugs. They include pssible femur fractures, esphagal cancer & osteonecrosis of the jaw bone.
If you are interested in investigating more about thse drugs that claim to build bone density Google this site: "Save Our Bones".
There are FDA warnings concerning Fosamax, Actonel, Boniva etc.
Most doctors are now told to recommend usage for two years or less  - I spoke to my gynecologist about it - he was aware and in agreement about the new concerns. You see, it takes years for drugs to be on the market before the damage can be evaluated. Now my endocrinologist says I am in more danger of a fracture. (5% chance) Well, to me that means I have a 95% chance of not having a fracture.
Google "Fosamax & lawsuits" - I'd really think about natural remedies before going the Fosamax route. Reduce intake of acidic foods that leech calcium from the bones - take organic calcium (green calcium) higher doses of D3, magnesium, exercise...your body will respond!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
1299122 tn?1281044016
Meant to answer your question - I take my Armour thyroid in the morning as early as possible. Then I busy myself for awhile (check email, etc) while I brew a small pot of coffee. I try to get at least 45 minutes to an hour before I have the coffee with non-dairy creamer. I take my calcium/magnesium at night before bed (its supposed to help with sleep)
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
393685 tn?1425816122
Here's some thoughts.

As gimel says swing the meds between morning and night. Either thyroid at night - calcium day - or vice versa.

I'd make sure whole heartedly that your 4 calcium/parathyroid labs are normal and lab test often while supplementing. You should have a calcium (ionized) - calcium (serum)- phophorus and Vit D panel ran recently. Often the Vit D is low and increasing that hormone (Yep Vit D is a hormone not a vitamin) can lower or entirely get you off the calcium supplement altogether.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Avatar universal
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
New Article on Multifocal IOL vs &q...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
748543 tn?1463449675
Blank
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
01/15 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGD, FICCMOBlank
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1424570775
Blank
Barb135
FL
Avatar m tn
Blank
gimel
MI
Avatar f tn
Blank
goolarra
Sisters, OR
Avatar m tn
Blank
flyingfool
WI
657231 tn?1453836403
Blank
rumpled
Northern, NJ
Avatar m tn
Blank
des900
Calicut, India