Thyroid Disorders Community
full glass of water with synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

full glass of water with synthroid

Why is it important to have a full glass of water when taking Synthroid? I take my meds before I get out of bed in the morning and often the glass of water that I put beside the bed the night before only has enough left in the glass by morning for one gulp.
I keep a 600ml bottle beside the bed.
Its important to take a glass of water as this helps the synthroid dissolve quickly into the blood stream...instead of going to the bowel where it can be excreted.
Interesting.  Didn't know that.  Wow.
It is also important to drink water as it pushes the tablet along the esophagus. You would be surprised to know how many people's tablet dissolve in there and become useless. You can't always feel it, especially being a very tiny tablet being stuck there. So washing it down is the best way.
Also having it with anything else like coffee renders the tablet useless, as it binds to the molecular structure and is excreted and not taken in by the body.
so if I take it with water andthen sit down and drink a coke,it will still makeit useless?
i don't think so
I keep a full glass by my bed. If you drink throughout the night, keep two glasses. You definitely want that Synthroid to work. I wake up around six am, take the pill, then go back to sleep and wake up an hour later so I can eat. I hate getting out of bed and not being able to drink coffee or eat.

Tamra
I have a coffee...take the synthroid and then have a 2nd coffee.
Consistancy is the key.
Do what you have done from day one.
Its never affected my levels regarding the coffees although I am super drug sensitive.

I reckon I could have a full-on breakfast, take Thyroxin and it would still absorb lol !
Although not game enough to do that :)
have taken the thr with coffee for 3 years, some people even take it with food. smilerdeb is right..just take it the same way every day :)
Just found out from a great pharmacist that it isn't imperative to have full glass of water with Synthroid. What is important is that you get it down. A couple gulps water is ok. Do not take it with other fluids like juice, coffee, soda or within one hour of eating as it can bind to that beverage or food and not be effective.
I have always taken it that way because no matter what med I take (regardless of food or no food ) , it works like a bullet with being so drug sensitive,
So I stick to my morning coffee...take the thyroxin with water then go for 2nd coffee.
Worked for me from day one...even gone a fraction hyper if I skip meals.
I just take a couple of gulps of water.  I too leave a bottle by the bed, usually have a second bottle waiting at the air conditioning vent.  Then I take my bath and get ready for work, then go eat, by which time I'm usually starving...(well it does feel like it) lol.
I have never taken it with water.  Have always either chewed it (synthroid is sweet) or let it dissolve under my tongue.